Where do I get 17G of sanitzed water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseburgBrewer

Reaction score
I've been brewing small 5G batches for the past 2 years, and recently got a 15G minibrew fermenter. So I decided to make a keggle and start brewing 15G batches. When I did 5G batches I would just go to the grocery store and get 6Gs of distilled water and use that for brewing. Now that I'm doing large batches what it is the best, most economical way to get sanitized water. There is a water supply store in town that says they filter there water 12 times before they sell it in 5G carboys, but will that work? I've heard of hooking up filters to your tap water, I have a brita will that work or do I need a special type of filter?

I use plain tap water with no ill effects. That is HERE not THERE. But I would definitely try it sooner than later. If you find that it is OK then you will save a ton of time, money and trouble.

You shouldn't be using sanitized or distilled for brewing in the first place!!! Tap water has vital nutrients that your yeast need! Keep in mind you are boiling this water for like an hour... that will kill ANYTHING thats in the water.

Boiling doesn't kill everything. However, homebrewing doesn't require sterile conditions. I've done plenty of stupid things which were less than sanitary, and I've yet to have a contam. Granted you should still be careful. I use RO/DI water, since I used to have an aquarium, and my fermentation is pretty good. Keep in mind yeast are very resourceful when it comes to staying alive.

I just use plain ol' tap water in my boil. In cases where I may need/want to waterback post boil, I use bottled drinking water.

The water answers are correct but um, how exactly are you planning to boil 15 gallons in a 15 gallon pot? The same can be said for the fermenter. You will at most be able to pull off 12 gallon batches to leave enough headroom in both the kettle and the fermenter.

+1 on tap water. I use mine throughout my enitre process. Not a bad batch yet, but then again my water taste fine right out of the tap.

FWIW, if your tap water taste OK, use it. If not, get water from the store.

I used bottled water when I was doing extract brewing, but once I bumped up to all-grain, I've just been using plain old tap water. I've noticed no difference.

If your water is fine to drink and tastes fine, then use it. Otherwise, you can install whole-house water pre-filters, which will remove sediment and chlorine/chloramine.

But, as Bobby pointed out, your bigger problem is your batch size.

Some recommend using spring water. I also just use my tap water, although I've recently started playing with my water to mimic certain styles.

Oh and Bobby's right. You can't do 15g batches in a keggle. You need to have room for a nice rolling boil, and there will be boil off.

Thanks guys it sounds like Tap water is the way to go. And thanks for the tip on headspace. Is a little chlorine in the tap water something to be concerned about?

You can treat your tap water with some campden tablets to break the chlorine down quickly. You can also let it sit in a bucket overnight and that will allow it to evaporate out.

chlorine, if your local supply uses gas, will boil out with no effect on the final product

chloramine will not boil out, My tap water has excessive ammounts that some yeast create the ever popular "bandaid" taste from. I bought a $20 Britta Filter and that took care of it.

Soft water with nutrients added also works well, If you really don't want to use tap at all the cheapest way is to get a local water service, most give you a free hot/cold dispenser and deliver it in 5 gallon bottles to your door :)

Back