When (or if) to rack to a secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim311

Reaction score
We made up 3 gallons of Trader Joes spiced cider about 3 weeks ago. It's sitting in a bucket fermenting and there has been no action in the airlock for quite some time now. We did add about a half pound of brown sugar or something like that to it for an OG of I believe 1.07. I understand that lots of cider is best aged for quite some time, and I was just wondering if that is alright to do in my primary fermenter, or if I need to rack it or even just bottle it. I haven't really decided if I want to sweeten it, or even carbonate it. How long do I wait to bottle this stuff up? Can I do it now? Will I get off flavors if I wait much longer?

Once active fermentation slows, that's the time to rack to a carboy and make sure it's topped up and airlocked. Since I have a lot of light in my house, I just toss a blanket or towel over the carboy to keep out light and that's about it.

I usually do cider in carboys so I can see when it is clearing up. But this almost always happens between weeks 4 and 5. If you haven't opened up your bucket lid yet, I'd say you are good for another 2-3 weeks. Should be plenty clear by then (5-6 weeks in primary) that you can go straight to bottling. I have never secondaried a cider, but I always prime and carbonate.

If you want to back sweeten and have it be still, then I would consider racking to secondary in 3 weeks (on top of camden and sorbate), then backsweeting a few days before bottling.

I'm fermenting in a plastic bucket. I don't currently have a carboy that small (3 gallons) and it's in a 5 gallon bucket. What's my best option? I haven't even opened it to look inside yet to see what it looks like or take a gravity reading.

I'm fermenting in a plastic bucket. I don't currently have a carboy that small (3 gallons) and it's in a 5 gallon bucket. What's my best option? I haven't even opened it to look inside yet to see what it looks like or take a gravity reading.

If you don't have an appropriate carboy, the only thing to do is to bottle it if it is done.

Do you think I should wait a few more weeks in the primary then if I'm not going to rack to secondary? Friday will be 3 weeks of in the primary.

Tough call. Buckets are oxygen permeable, but not when they are actively fermenting. Once thats over I suppose you start to risk O2 getting in. By waiting, you run the risk of oxidizing (especially with all that headspace in your bucket). By bottling now, you will likely have more yeast sediment in your bottles.

I'd go with Yoopers advice and bottle it up (if your sure its finished).

Do you think I should wait a few more weeks in the primary then if I'm not going to rack to secondary?

No. 3 weeks is fine, it's done. Skip the secondary. Go directly to cold-crashing/gelatin (if you're doing that), or right to bottling/kegging. If bottling, give it 3 weeks at 70+° F to carb up, then move into the fridge.

I have a kegerator I could cold crash it in. If I do that, do I bottle while it's cold, or wait for it to warm back up and then bottle?

No need to warm it up prior to bottling. Maybe add just a tidge less priming sugar (as cold liquids hold higher amounts of CO2). I think Palmer's priming calculator takes that into effect.

Back