Aging and pasteurizing new cider in a mini-keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRNRAB

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking for some feedback.
I have a 2 gallon batch of blueberry cider that I believe has completed secondary on 12/18 at 1.004 (second reading) and racked off the lees into a clean fermenter (3 gallon) with and airlock to which I backsweetened the whole lot with allulose. So three days now in new vessel. Its rather cloudy still (used unfiltered apple juice) and didnt use pectic enzyme during primary. I'd like to reclaim the 3 gallon vessel if possible to have back my original two vessel setup for brewing, so was thinking of simply racking half into bottles, priming those with real sugar for carbonation, pasteurizing those and then letting them age in my garage cooler. The other half I'd rack to my 5 litre mini keg, pasteurizing the keg only (in my large pot) and then letting it cool and age in that vessel with just its screw on cover. The sweetened two gallons has quite a bit of head room in the 3 gallon vessel and worry about just aging it there for a few months ( where clearing can be observed) vs. what I suggest above. If I bottle and carbonate some I can easily see the progress of clearing ( and can't with the mini keg). Thanks

If your in a hurry to free up your carboy. C9nsider the following.

Add:
KC Super Kleer And Pectic Enzyme. Works in 2 to 4 days.
Cold crash - 3 to 5 days.
Rack from the lees.

Should clear up pretty well. May not be perfect but should definately be better. If verycloudy when bottliing etc. Could cause a lot of sediment as it will settle in the bottle or keg over time.

Sweeten, bottle / keg and pasteurize.

Back