When keg is not in use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ersman

Reaction score
I've been home brewing and bottling for 14+ years and I just recently upgraded to a kegging system. I bought the package deal with a 5lb C02 tank, corny keg, hoses, tap, etc. I have my first batch in the keg now. I've been doing some reading and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly

- I transferred to the sanitized keg from my secondary

- Applied 30lbs of pressure and left it hooked up to the tank for 48 hours while in the refrigerator.

- After 48 hours I reduced the pressure on the keg to about 7psi and hooked up the tap. I was happy to see there was a nice head and fizz after only 2 days.

- I thought I would try to let the beer "age" a little since I'm saving the beer for a party 3 months from now. I read that the keg can be removed from the cold refrigerator and stored at room temp by applying 30PSI to the keg again, but then disconnecting from the tank. It's been sitting in my 60 degree basement for about 3 weeks.

- Before the party, I plan to chill the keg in the refrigerator, then release the 30PSI to serving pressure (5-7 PSI), then hook up the tap and enjoy. Please correct me if I am missing some steps.

However, my primary question here is this: Once I have it hooked up to the tank with a good serving pressure, do I just leave it hooked up to the tank until the beer is gone? There may be periods of time where I won't touch the tap for a week. Within that period of non-usage, should I disconnect from the tap and zap it with 30PSI and disconnect the tank again? My primary reasoning for this is KIDS! I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old that like to push buttons and pull levers. My refrigerator is in the garage and they have easy access to the tap handle if I wasn't looking. That could equal lots of wasted home brew. That would be very bad! :) Maybe it's as simple as turning off the line to the tap instead of disconnecting the entire keg. If I did do that, would the 5-7PSI in the keg be okay for a week's long of non-use?

The problem with storing above serving temps is that CO2 will come out of solution at higher temps. A lot of people pressurize kegs, and then store them, you may just need to periodically top of CO2, as it comes out of solution.

They also sell inexpensive locks that you can put on your taps that will not allow them to dispense.

As for serving, I would bring it back to temp, and carb it to the appropriate volume of CO2 for style, a week before the event.

There is no such thing as "serving" pressure. If you carb to 30 psi, then set it to 7 psi to serve, eventually you will reach a state of equilibrium and the beer will no longer be at 30 psi, but rather 7.

Thanks for the quick replies!

So, if I plan to age my beer at least 3 weeks, should I forgo the cooling and 48hour C02? Just hit it with 30PSI while it's warm and let it sit warm. When I'm ready to drink, bring it to temp and run 30PSI for a couple days until it's ready?

I'll get some of those locks too...

If keg sits out in higher temps, hit it with 30 psi, vent, hit it again with 30 psi and let it sit. May have to "top off" with CO2 every so often (6 weeks or so).

30 psi is pretty high as a serving pressure, unless you are serving around 50 degrees.

There are online charts that will tell you what your volumes of CO2 should be for a particular style. Once you know the volume of CO2, you can cross reference with a chart, that will tell you what PSI to set the regulator at, according to the temperature of the beer. This will be the pressure you will use from day one, until the key kicks.

If the chart says 14 PSI, set it to 14 PSI, give it a week or two to carb, then enjoy. "Serving pressure" will also be 14 PSI

Lastly a very general/vague/broad brush rule of thumb, is to have 1 foot of 3/16" beverage line, for every PSI. So the above example would require 14' of beverage line. The beverage line also needs to be the same temperature as the beer you are serving.

If you have 3 months, the set and forget method of carbing the keg is the easiest. Figure out the right carbonation for the style, set the regulator to that PSI and then let it ride.

I keep my gas connected and keg pressurized the full time it is being served. Since I am really the only one who drinks what I brew it can take a couple months to kill a keg. There are no issues leaving the gas connected. It is actually probably better as the beer is not going to over carb or lose carb at any point.

Hooking the keg up to the co2 line and walking away until it's carbonated is the "set and forget" method. Problem arises with this when you disconnect the lines is co2 can't "force" itself into the beer when it isn't connected anymore. Residual pressure in the headspace will equalize with the content of the keg but it won't be carbonated properly. For the set and forget method it needs to stay attached.

That said there is no good reason why you couldn't age uncarbonated or undercarbonated beer. Look at how many do extended aging in a secondary / clearing vessel with admirable results. If you can wait 3 months for the beer to be aged and tap ready, you can wait 2 weeks to force carb it then. :)

Another option to look at would be naturally carbing in the keg with priming sugar. It is a little less popular but a viable option for those with limited co2 outlets. Also takes longer than force carbing, but for an aged beer you've got the time. Just make sure to seat the lid with a quick blast of co2.

On the topic of seating lids with co2 I only seat the lid once. Mentioned earlier about raising pressure before taking out of the fridge, I don't buy it. I've had a little bubbling from around the main o-ring before pressurizing the keg initially but never a second time. Think of it this way: If we all seat the lid between 20-30 psi and eventually reduce to serving pressure (8-15 depending on temp and style), and the lid were prone to this "de-seating" theory then it would always de-seat and bleed off co2 while in the fridge.

This is JUST the information I was looking for. Thank so much everyone!

You could disconnect the liquid out line when not drinking also. Spray some sanatizer on it before and after disconnecting and you'll never lose beer.

Back