What's your next brew? Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagillis

Reaction score
I'm about 2 weeks away from my next brew day. I haven't entirely decided what to brew next. I have it "narrowed" down to a Newcastle brown ale clone (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=310001), a coffee cream stout, or american pale ale...until tomorrow's new inspiration...or after reading everyone else's replies to this topic.

What are you brewing next and why?

I'm brewing Yooper's oatmeal stout because I haven't brewed a stout in a long while and because it is (finally) getting chilly here in Columbus, which gets me in the mood for drinking stouts. I like brewing with the seasons.

A bock because it's about the season for that and we'll have the yeast for it. We pretty much always use a yeast twice so we line up beers that work with the same yeast strain.

along with cleaning up after brew day and the time waiting between grain and glass...

choosing the next beer to brew is the worst part of this hobby.

nice problems to have, huh?

right now trying to decide between a Bigfoot clone, Yooper's oatmeal stout, a grodziskie and whatever the next style of beer someone mentions

I am brewing this Saturday... A single hop Azacca IPA.

Why?

Because I need to fill the last of my kegs for my new keezer. So I have been brewing back-to-back the past few weeks... First was a cream ale, second was a porter and lastly will be the single hop Azacca IPA... Never used the hop but I bought a half pound from Yakima's 2015 harvest, so I want to try the hop out!

I will have a 4th keg to fill, but since my gf is buying a commercial sour keg, I won't have room for it yet... Thinking of brewing a huge RIS (12% ABV or so) with coffee and vanilla beans... That way it can age/secondary a few months in the keg until I have a spot for it.

Well, I'm working on the Cooper's ESB, Hellfire IIPA & my dry version of whiskely stout. Still researching & gathering ingredients to brew the German mumme' next, a gruit ale that dates back to at least 1392! Reason enough to brew it & learn something about history. Who knew brewing beer would be such a neat way to study history?! :tank:

I'm working on coming up with a new recipe for a Porter. The 'research' has been a ton of fun as I've bought every porter I can get my hands on and am writing up tasting notes on each as I go through them. My plan is to seek out clones for those that I want to model and then devise a recipe of my own making. So far, I've picked up:
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
Founders Porter
Anchor Porter
Bell's Porter
Smuttynose Robust Porter
Port City Porter
Mad River Steelhead Porter
Fullers London Porter
Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter
Meantime London Porter
Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
Green Man Porter
Foothills People's Porter
Highland Oatmeal Porter
Draft Line Deep Plunge

I've sampled about half of them so far. To my palate, so far I've been floored by the Founders & Anchor porters.

PorterReResearch.jpg

My next is yoopers oatmeal stout.

Chose it because my friend brewed it and I really liked it, plus due to my work schedule, it will be my last chance to brew for a few months and I want to have something left in the pipeline I know I will like. Assuming it comes out okay when I make it...

brewin a wookie jack clone, why you ask? because it is the best beer ever made, ever, of course :)
Brewing it because I finally have quite a variety of homebrew on deck, and this one takes 3-4 months till your drinking it. I got enough to tide me over till its ready

Another lager. Why? I keep by brewing gear in a basement closet. This is the time of year, the closet is a pretty consistent 45-46° F, so serving kegs go in there and the keg fridge becomes a lagering chamber.

India brown ale

Why? We are doing a club collaboration with a local brewery that i set up in a couple weeks and I want to do a pilot batch that I can bring a couple growlers to the brew day for people to get an idea of how the beer is going to be.

Then a smoked scottish ale that i will be putting on oak soaked in the anchorman scotch....Why? I looked at that bottle of scotch wondering what I could do with it.

probably a black ipa...for two reasons: 1. i just got a ton of hops and B. i like them.

I received s new supply of grain etc, yesterday and I am going to try a honey amber ale on Saturday. I currently have a Bo. Pilsner in the fermenter that will be kegged on Saturday .

Super dry, dank IIPA, coming in at around 8.5% with Nelson, Citra, Simcoe and lashings of Columbus. Simple malt bill, just Maris Otter and 10% corn sugar.

Got a new 30L (8 gallon US?) brew kettle so need to put it through its paces. :rockin:

Gotta get rid of a pound of Centennial, so 10 gallons of Bell's Two Hearted clone it is. Plus I love that beer.

My next will be an English IPA, why, got the holiday deal from hopsdirect and I have a pound of Pilgrim hops..

My house pale ale. Because I know after the holidays my current house pale ale keg is about to kick!

I will be brewing a Golden Promise/Falconers Flight IPA for a buddy who brought me a few Three Floyds brews back from Indiana. I haven't known him for very long (through work) but I am happy he thought of me when browsing beer. With 3 kegs currently in the keezer I can make him a nice little sampler. :mug:

I am not ready for my next brew yet but on New Years Day I did brew an Irish Red Ale. Should taste amazing at At.Patty's Day time :)

Im making a double IPA with what (for me) is going to be a pretty substantial hop bill and a saison

I am getting ready to brew Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops - All Grain. Why? Because we drink the hell out of it and everyone loves it. I have at least 2 fermenters of it going at all times.

I'm thinking an irish or scottish ale because they sound good for March. I think right now my recipe leans towards irish red. Plus, I know from last time that the recipe needs some tweaking (e.g. too many IBUs).

I'm working on coming up with a new recipe for a Porter. The 'research' has been a ton of fun as I've bought every porter I can get my hands on and am writing up tasting notes on each as I go through them. My plan is to seek out clones for those that I want to model and then devise a recipe of my own making. So far, I've picked up:
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
Founders Porter
Anchor Porter
Bell's Porter
Smuttynose Robust Porter
Port City Porter
Mad River Steelhead Porter
Fullers London Porter
Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter
Meantime London Porter
Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
Green Man Porter
Foothills People's Porter
Highland Oatmeal Porter
Draft Line Deep Plunge

I've sampled about half of them so far. To my palate, so far I've been floored by the Founders & Anchor porters.

Now there's a man after my heart right there!:rockin:

I'll be brewing up the same porter as last week just because I have the grains already...I will be adding a little licorice note to this one though.

My next brew session will be on Martin Luther King, Jr Day (01/18) because I'll have the day off but the kids will be in school. :ban:

Traditionally, I do a double brew session with a Dry Stout and Irish Red on MLK Day so that I'm ready for the St. Patrick's Day drinking season.

I know better than to combine my two favorite things. Ever seen that Seinfeld where George starts sneaking sandwiches during sex? slippery slope

I find the pastrami to the be most sensual of all the salt cured meats.

I'm doing a string of lagers next. Not sure on the order, but might go helles -> pils -> schwarz. Maybe a dunkel in there too.

Brewing a barleywine for my club's next project. We just got a fresh, wet bourbon barrel from a great local brewery that was just emptied and we're going to try to get it filled in the next 2 weeks. Expensive grain bill, but a damn fine investment when you know you're getting 5 gallons of barrel aged barleywine in about a year.

NB's Smash Pale Ale. I bought it on the Columbus Day sale so I'll do it if we ever get a winter thaw in MI. Brewed in the cold temps last winter, but this year I'll wait 'till we get a nicer day.

A giant doppelbock, because I am drowning in 2 LITERS of thick 833 slurry that has been anything but naughty. They deserve it. Every last one of them!

either going to go with a brown or single hop pale...maybe huell melon or bavarian mandarina...

Doing a hef right now and Thursday will be a blonde ale. The hef is hard for me to keep out of my pint. I've brewed it more than a few times and it tastes so good and now that I have a fermentation chamber it tastes even batter. The blonde because that's what my Bud Light/Icehouse drinking buddies like. The love it!

Bells Two Hearted Clone...because I love it and it's a very cost effective beer to brew aka few ingredients (2-row, crystal, and centennial). We are getting ready for extreme budgeting so I have purchased my corona mill and will be buying grain and hops in bulk....this will probably be the only beer I brew for quite a while until SWMBO starts working hopefully by the end of 2016.

my bos ipa for the upcoming national homebrew competition and a steam beer because my room has been hitting 58 degrees

Open fermented Belgian pale ale with some freshly top cropped 3522. Why? Sounds pretty good and I've been really having fun with some open fermented beers lately. Want to do more of it with British beers as well as it's a great way to keep a crop of yeast going with super fresh yeast top cropped instead of using slurry at the bottom of the fermenter.

I should say it's not a TRUE open fermentation - I do drape some plastic wrap over the top of the bucket. Close enough.

Back