What's your next brew? Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pre-prohibition lager. Why? Because it's a style my father asked for and he gave me the freezer I'm converting in to a fermentation chamber to make it in.

I posted Al Capone's prohibition lager a couple times, if you're interested?...

I have no confidence as a new brewer that I could make something that would come close to a Guinness this year, but next year, more likely next year. :tank:

A Guinness clone was the third all grain beer I attempted. It has been the one beer I've brewed consistently well. It has an easy grain bill, easy hop additions and Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast is a beast! For that pub-poured nitro awesomeness use the syringe trick and you'll wonder why you hadn't brewed it sooner and why you would ever buy the commercial version again...

A Biére de Garde, because it's the right time of year historically to do so! Hope to have it ready to drink late March to welcome spring in. Will be a simple recipe of munich & pilsner w. WY1007

I just put my Amber Ale in primary last night. It was my first brew ever, recipe came with my brewing kit.

Since it was my first brew I'm not too worried about it, chalking this one up as a trial run and learning experience.

Next I definitely want to do a Dunkelweizen. Thinking about doing some banana in secondary. Maybe like a Chocolate Banana or Bananas Foster Dunkel?

If you had a quality kit, kept everything sanitary, and followed the directions, there is no reason your first beer won't be amazing.

My first brew years ago was a Williams Honey Wheat extract kit , and it was amazing.

A black IPA and HOPEFULLY it will come out as a clone of Santa Fe Brewing's Black IPA. I made a 1 gallon experimental batch that came close. Then I finally got a reply to the email I sent the brewery and found that I need to double the amount of Eldorado in the dry hop. It is my favorite beer (so far) with that oh-so-common three-letter abbr.

Next brew is going down as we drink. Magic hat #9 clone. Happy brewing all

image.jpg

I'm planning on brewing a Belgian Blonde Ale on Sunday. Why? I want to tweak my recipe based on the judges' feedback from the competitions I entered this past fall to see if I can make some incremental improvements. If it turns out good enough, I'll enter it in the NHC and LA Belgian Brew Challenge.

I had some extra @Yooper 's House Pale that didn't boil down that I stuck in a fermenter with some wet hops. Three months later it was infected with a delicious peach smell. So I've now officially got some sour equipment. So looking to do a brett or lacto brew next.

What's the recipe you're planning? I'm brewing a Belgian pale next as well with some top cropped 3522.

I was aiming towards De Koninck but I've yet to get anything close to what they offer..
I generally try to glean what I can from BLAM and read up as much as I can on a specific beer if I'm trying to brew something in that style,I've had a hard time finding information on that beer that I trust..

That being said I came up w/ a recipe that is as follows :

Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Size: 10.66 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 7.28 gal
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.5 %

8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 62.5 %
2 lbs Munich Malt type II (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 15.6 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 15.6 %
8.0 oz CaraBelge (16.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.9 %
5.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.4 %

2.00 oz Saaz [3.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 18.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [3.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 7.2 IBUs

I Came up w/ the recipe based on what I had on hand,I have a sack of Pils and no pale and a bunch of ingredients for a Biere De Garde I didn't brew so I went w/ it..It will be quite drinkable however I have very little expectations that it will be anything close to De Koninck.
I had some Melanoiden on hand and used that rather than buy some aromatic and I had some cara belge I wanted to try,not sure the % in this recipe will be of great impact....At any rate much of those aren't listed as ingredients from any source regarding the beer,hence the De Koninck (ish) designation.I only meant that in regards to them both being BPA's and using "their" yeast.

Trying to decide if I should do a batch of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde Ale or take a crack at my first lager. I'll probably end up doing the blonde ale because of the much quicker turn around time. My last four batches have been a hefeweizen, a chocolate stout, a robust porter and an English bitter (along with a couple wine kits). It's about time I made something I can offer "normal beer" drinkers.

Trying to decide if I should do a batch of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde Ale or take a crack at my first lager. I'll probably end up doing the blonde ale because of the much quicker turn around time. My last four batches have been a hefeweizen, a chocolate stout, a robust porter and an English bitter (along with a couple wine kits). It's about time I made something I can offer "normal beer" drinkers.

The WLP515 that is available now produces some very clean,lager like beer in a simple Pils recipe,did a lager/ale last year w/ it and it's a winner without dealing with brewing an actual lager...

I'd definitely like to do a lager soon as well. When I put my first brew in primary last night I was going to put it in the basement but the temps down there are lower than I'd like for my Amber Ale. Got me thinking if the weather gets and stays just a tad bit colder here it'll be perfect for a lager.

I think I will do a Maibock. I'm enjoying layering high gravity beers for some weird reason. It's as if the bigger the stockpile is the cooler I am. I also want to have multiple types of beer to share if people ask what I make one day. Add in wanting to age stuff, get a pipeline going and start being able to plan out brewing 10 months from now and I can't imagine brewing anything I will drink in two months however il need to do that to keep me from drinking everything else.

I think I will do a Maibock. I'm enjoying layering high gravity beers for some weird reason. It's as if the bigger the stockpile is the cooler I am.

Maibock isn't really a high gravity beer... I'll give you delicious but not a big beer by any means.

Right now I'm leaning towards brewing a porter, after acquiring a taste for it with a six pack of Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter. :tank:

Saison last weekend, honey blonde this weekend, both to keep SWMBO happy she's letting me build a keezer. Next weekend I'll do an Irish Red, and the following weekend an ipa. Then I'll see how long it takes to kick a keg before planning a more extensive schedule.

Next brew is a pale ale and then something else(more likely much bigger). I have a pound of HBC 438 hops to mess with.

You certainly won't regret the Centennial Blonde, it's a fantastic beer!

1 gallon of my first attempt at a sour. I'll kettle sour a berliner weisse.

I've got two of my three 1-gallon jugs tied up in lagers (because they're the only thing short enough for my lager fridge) for the next month-ish, and I've got a ton of stout carbonating right now so I didn't feel like making anything in my 3-gallon carboys.

And I've just been curious about sours for a while.

Brewing a mild as we speak.

Because I wanted something delicious I could drink gallons of during the Super Bowl and not be on my ass!

Gumballhead clone. I wanted to make another wheat beer and really wanted to try Amarillo hops and this one gets me both.

I'm going to brew another spiced ale because my butternut squash ale went over so well except there wasn't enough of it. Because it's winter im going up the spice with mulling spices!

Does anybody see any problem with (cinnamon, orange peel, star anise, lemon peel, allspice, cloves, vanilla extract, orange oil)

I was aiming towards De Koninck but I've yet to get anything close to what they offer..
I generally try to glean what I can from BLAM and read up as much as I can on a specific beer if I'm trying to brew something in that style,I've had a hard time finding information on that beer that I trust..

That being said I came up w/ a recipe that is as follows :

Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Size: 10.66 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 7.28 gal
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.5 %

8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 62.5 %
2 lbs Munich Malt type II (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 15.6 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 15.6 %
8.0 oz CaraBelge (16.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.9 %
5.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.4 %

2.00 oz Saaz [3.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 18.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [3.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 7.2 IBUs

I Came up w/ the recipe based on what I had on hand,I have a sack of Pils and no pale and a bunch of ingredients for a Biere De Garde I didn't brew so I went w/ it..It will be quite drinkable however I have very little expectations that it will be anything close to De Koninck.
I had some Melanoiden on hand and used that rather than buy some aromatic and I had some cara belge I wanted to try,not sure the % in this recipe will be of great impact....At any rate much of those aren't listed as ingredients from any source regarding the beer,hence the De Koninck (ish) designation.I only meant that in regards to them both being BPA's and using "their" yeast.
Nice. I hope it turns out well for you!

Flanders Red Raspberry Lambic

Why? I have a packet of roselare in the fridge, also a starter of Oude tart dregs that soured up nice in a week, also some jolly pumpkin and a cuvée Renee are waiting to have their dregs harvested so I will hopefully start the beer with a massive bacteria pitch. Also it'll mark the 1 year anniversary of buying a house with SWMBO.

I'm intrigued. Tell me more. Am I correct in assuming it's similar to a pumpkin ale?

Exactly, I had the squash in the kitchen from the summer and it was calling my name so I found a pumpkin ale recipe that called for cinnamon clove and ginger and substituted 5lbs of squash directly.

The butternut certainly lends more flavor than pumpkin with this bitter mouth feel that you get from the gourd but the spices were great. I used extract to mimic a dark orange color!

Dunkle. Because I got a temp controller with Christmas money and can control lager yeast fermentation in the proper lager range now. I have the ingredients on the way for next weekend. I am excited like a kid in a candy store.

Shot In The Dark from AHS.

I wanted to try at least one brew this year which will pull me out of my comfort zone.
This kit has unknown grains in it and it seems I may need to shift on the fly while brewing it.

Gonna brew in February more than likely, as I currently have a stout in primary.

Kölsch ingredients arrived Friday so that's my next brew. Why? Because I've had a good run of stouts, ipa's and bitters and want to try something different.

Lingo check here - what is SWMBO?

Some Wankers Mouthy Biatch Obviously... For heavens sake don't tell mine I uttered that..:eek:

Don't anyone get panties in a bunch I'm making joke. :tank:

FWIW its a stupid reference at best.

Back