American Brown ''LAGER'' recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was working on my next recipe and I was looking to brew an American Brown ALE... but I was trying to use the ingredients I got in stock.

I found that I have a pack of Fermentis W34/70 laying in my fridge so I was think of making a brown lager... I made a fews pressurized lagers recently with big success... so would you try it ? It cant be bad...

Pale malt 8lbs
Munich malt 1lbs
crystal 80L 1lbs
Chocolate malt 350L 0,5lbs
Wheat malt 0,5lbs
Columbus 1oz 60min
Cascade 1oz 15min
Cascade 1oz 5min
W34/70 pressure fermented at 20C

Let me know what you think but I feel thirsty reading my recipe.... which is a good sign!

Last edited:
Personally, I would get rid of the C80 and leave everything else as is. Sounds like an interesting brew!

:mug:
maybe a pound is too much but I want some sweetness/color from the crystal... maybe I will reduce to 1/2 pound...

Agree on the 80L removal. If it were a big hefty dark ale, it would still be a lot.

Run as a lager though, you want clean crispness, so reducing heavy caramel notes will get you closer to target. If you really need that addition, maybe 4-6 oz of C-60. If it were mine, I’d eliminate it however.

I milled the grains last night to save time for tonight and totaly forgot to look at my post... so there is 1 pound of crystal 80 in the grains... cant go back. I will see how it turns and I would like to try the same recipe without the crystal 80. I think that there is more IBU's than a regular lager... on Beersmith it gives me about 57ibu if I remember so it should be drinkable. I will report the result in about 2-3 weeks, Thanks to the pressure fermentation haha. I added 0,5lbs of wheat malt to help the head retention and raise the % a bit...

soooo... an update to my initial post. I had a pint of this very tasty beer and the result is awesome. I am glad that the crystal 80 got into that beer because it really balance the quite agressive Columbus hops and ass just enought sweetness. I would not brew it without crystal malt...I would be affraid to lost this taste that is so good but I might try different crystal malt and quantity next time I brew this beer. The clean fermentation of the W34/70 is making this 6% very drinkable.

thumbnail_IMG_3752.jpg

Back