What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help, I have a problem. I found a pound and a half of cherries in the fridge I didn't want to eat and a gallon of apple juice and 30 minutes later I have a cherry raisin cider bubbling in my fermentation chamber. >_>

My wife would have something to say about my "hobby" if I started rifling through the fridge to find ideas for beer/wine/whatever that the whole family could enjoy...

In the mean time, sounds pretty good!:)

My wife would have something to say about my "hobby" if I started rifling through the fridge to find ideas for beer/wine/whatever that the whole family could enjoy...

Thankfully, I am the SWMBO. It's my fridge, my food, and I can ferment it if I want. :D

Just pulled a hydrometer sample and it tastes amazing. :rockin:

5.5 gallons of Imperial Maple porter that is in it's 7th day of rather vigorous fermentation. Finally starting to slow down.

Just pitched a 1.5 l US-04 starter into 5 gallons of scotch ale. My 2nd AG attempt after a very good cream of 3 crops ale. Hope to see a vigorous airlock in the am!

5 gallons of Hefeweizen that I'm fermenting on the warm side to bring out more of the banana characteristics. And the aroma from the blow off smells AMAZING! I also have about 4 gallons(due to a brew day accident) of oatmeal stout that I will age for a couple of months before I keg it up.

Rauchbier one week in...

Rauchbier.jpg

5 Gallons of Sam Adams Octoberfest Clone - Lagering at 38°
5 Gallons of Harpoon IPA Clone - Clearing and dry hopped
5 Gallons of Golden Ale APA - clearing
5 Gallons of Blonde Ale APA - fermenting

On Deck:

Award Winning Octoberfest
Lagunitus IPA
Honey Brown Ale
All Amarillo APA

Secondary-Dragonmead Final Absolution Clone (Tripel)

2, 1 gallon test batches for a Moonlight Meadery Kurt's Apple Pie Clone.

On Deck:
-This Sunday I am going to tweak a NB Smashed Pumpkin kit.
-Golden Brett
-Caribou Slobber

My first big stout went into the ferm chamber on Saturday morning. 1.080 with Maris Otter, Choco Malt, Flaked Oats, Carafa III, Roast Barley and Crystal 60. Columbus for bittering. Gonna rack it onto cacao nibs and cold brewed coffee. Stoked.

An IPA (house IPA #3) in the fermenter (debating if I should go ahead with transferring to secondary for dry hopping and yeast reclamation).

An American(ish) Wheat. It's one that I've made before and like a lot. I have always used Hallertau in this one, but LHBS was out this time, and suggested Pacifica. I'll have to wait another week or so for the verdict.

i have:
Progress Old ale (primary), Three Hearted ale (primary),
Delta-Motueka ESB (primary), Bravo 2x IPA (secondary), Americanized Lambic (9 mo. 2ndary), Flanders Red Clone (secondary), Jolly Pumpkin mixed sour (1 yr in primary)

still not enough........

Help, I have a problem. I found a pound and a half of cherries in the fridge I didn't want to eat and a gallon of apple juice and 30 minutes later I have a cherry raisin cider bubbling in my fermentation chamber. >_>

Wow. This started boring as heck and ended up looking beautiful! The picture really doesn't do it justice but it's bright maroon. :ban:

2013-08-18 22.38.59.jpg

2013-08-19 18.44.39.jpg

1. Lambic. About 16 months old, will get bottled at about 24 months old.
2. English Barleywine. Will get transferred to a secondary over the weekend to sit for a few months.
3. Milk Stout. Gets bottled in ~2 weeks.
4. English IPA. Gets dry hops in ~1 week, then bottled in ~2 weeks.
5. 1 gallon of Yooper's Welch's Grape Concentrate Wine
6. 1 gallon of my first Mead. Keeping it simple with a straight up basic dry mead.
7. 1 gallon Maple Wine. Treating it just like a Mead, but with maple syrup instead of honey.
8. 1 gallon Apfelwein.
9. 1 gallon Skeeter Pee.

1. Lambic. About 16 months old, will get bottled at about 24 months old.
2. English Barleywine. Will get transferred to a secondary over the weekend to sit for a few months.
3. Milk Stout. Gets bottled in ~2 weeks.
4. English IPA. Gets dry hops in ~1 week, then bottled in ~2 weeks.
5. 1 gallon of Yooper's Welch's Grape Concentrate Wine
6. 1 gallon of my first Mead. Keeping it simple with a straight up basic dry mead.
7. 1 gallon Maple Wine. Treating it just like a Mead, but with maple syrup instead of honey.
8. 1 gallon Apfelwein.
9. 1 gallon Skeeter Pee.

Damn. You've got a lot of irons in the fire...

It's all relative.

That it is.

If I had my way, I'd have all 13 fermenters full (albeit only 5 capable of housing a primary fermentation of a full batch, the rest are 5 gallons or less). Some of the guys on here have a lot more than that. Especially the guys who brew a lot of sours...

That it is.

If I had my way, I'd have all 13 fermenters full (albeit only 5 capable of housing a primary fermentation of a full batch, the rest are 5 gallons or less). Some of the guys on here have a lot more than that. Especially the guys who brew a lot of sours...

Oooh, I hate those guys with all those wild beers. Oh wait, that's me.

When I get done with today's brew, I'll have (3) 6 gallon batches, 9 (5) gallon batches, and a couple gallon jars from batches where I had more than 5 gallons when I racked to secondary. I think that's almost critical mass before *poof* there's a barrel in my basement.

That's not even counting 'daily drinkers' of which I currently just have a BdG that won't be ready until December. So I need to brew again this week on top of the 5 gallon batch of wort I'm canning. Rough life.

American/Belgian IPA made with Citra, Ahtanum and Duvel yeast.

Should have mango, pineapple, orange and pear notes. Smells really good through the airlock. Not a trace of cat pee so far.

American/Belgian IPA made with Citra, Ahtanum and Duvel yeast.

Should have mango, pineapple, orange and pear notes. Smells really good through the airlock. Not a trace of cat pee so far.

I've been meaning to go back and make a hoppy BSGA, but haven't done it. Sounds good. Interesting to see what 570 does with new school hops.

...7. 1 gallon Maple Wine. Treating it just like a Mead, but with maple syrup instead of honey...
Good luck with that one. Not being sarcastic, just hoping you did something I didn't. The batch I did about 8 months ago never did resemble good. Real maple syrup, water, nutrients.

As of yesterday, I've got a new 1 1/2 gallon batch of cider. I found about 1 1/2 pounds of quartered and cored apples in my freezer. Probably leftover fuji from an older cider batch. I also found about 1/4 cup of frozen young ginger. They were both thinking about freezer burning, so they went in a 2 gallon brew bucket with 1 1/2 gallons of apple juice and 5 grams of montrachet. Should be sessionable ginger cider in a couple months. OG was only 1.044.

Good luck with that one. Not being sarcastic, just hoping you did something I didn't. The batch I did about 8 months ago never did resemble good. Real maple syrup, water, nutrients.

No, that was pretty much what I did. A few folks issued warnings saying it might not turn out well. And I probably should have waited until we weren't so short on cash to dump so much maple syrup down the drain, but what can I say.

I'm following the "Staggered Nutrient Additions" schedule in the "Mead Making FAQs" https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/sticky-mead-making-faqs-83030/ for both the Mead and Maple Wine.

Back