What's brewing August 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unrelated, anyone tried HBC 291 or Loral as it was officially released?

Looks like yakimavalleyhops.com has a bunch in stock. Sooo tempting.

Was gunning for two brews this weekend, but with a toddler I know that won't happen. I think tomorrow or Saturday will be a Helles brew day:

10lbs 6-row
.75lb Carapils
.75lb Munich
.25lb Melanoidin
Saaz to ~18 IBU
34/70 Dry Yeast
Mash @ 153, not bothering with a decoction

Ca-51, Mg-5, Na-5, SO4-57, Cl-72

Other beer will be a Saison that will get a combination of Dupont yeast (cultured from bottle), and a blend of Jester King and Sanctification dregs that I grew up over the past couple weeks:

9lbs 6-row
2lbs Wheat
1lb Oats
Saaz to ~25 IBU
Mash @150

Ca-67, Mg-1, Na-5, SO4-79, Cl-72

Any suggestions for either of these recipes? If you're wondering about the 6-row, a friend of mine is trying to start a malting Company, and he has given me some 6-row to test out in a few recipes. So that won't be changing.

Drinking my 4th iteration of NEIPA.

1318, 2 row, MO, oats, flaked barley, wheat, honey malt. This time I went with Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus (2:2:1:1), 3oz in FO, WP, primary DH and regular DH, and bittered with Columbus as well. I think this is my favorite NEIPA I've made so far, mostly peach & mango, a hint of melon and a little pine & earthy dank to balance things out.

20160818_144046_zpsnrxqnadu.jpg

1318, 2 row, MO, oats, flaked barley, wheat, honey malt. This time I went with Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus (2:2:1:1), 3oz in FO, WP, primary DH and regular DH, and bittered with Columbus as well. I think this is my favorite NEIPA I've made so far, mostly peach & mango, a hint of melon and a little pine & earthy dank to balance things out.

That beer looks mighty damn tasty! Congrats!

Also what De Garde beer is that in the reflection?

Was gunning for two brews this weekend, but with a toddler I know that won't happen. I think tomorrow or Saturday will be a Helles brew day:

10lbs 6-row
.75lb Carapils
.75lb Munich
.25lb Melanoidin
Saaz to ~18 IBU
34/70 Dry Yeast
Mash @ 153, not bothering with a decoction

Ca-51, Mg-5, Na-5, SO4-57, Cl-72

Other beer will be a Saison that will get a combination of Dupont yeast (cultured from bottle), and a blend of Jester King and Sanctification dregs that I grew up over the past couple weeks:

9lbs 6-row
2lbs Wheat
1lb Oats
Saaz to ~25 IBU
Mash @150

Ca-67, Mg-1, Na-5, SO4-79, Cl-72

Any suggestions for either of these recipes? If you're wondering about the 6-row, a friend of mine is trying to start a malting Company, and he has given me some 6-row to test out in a few recipes. So that won't be changing.
My water is almost spot on with your saison water. My Na is a bit higher at 13. I used to treat it but stopped because it works really well for me naturally. Nothing to add other than try some raw red wheat in a saison recipe sometime if you are using brett. It'll give off big tropical fruit/Pineapple similar to the reaction brett has with buckwheat. Doesn't seem to do it with malted or flaked for whatever reason.

My water is almost spot on with your saison water. My Na is a bit higher at 13. I used to treat it but stopped because it works really well for me naturally. Nothing to add other than try some raw red wheat in a saison recipe sometime if you are using brett. It'll give off big tropical fruit/Pineapple similar to the reaction brett has with buckwheat. Doesn't seem to do it with malted or flaked for whatever reason.

I sort of hate you for having that water. My water source is softened to hell and back. There are low amounts of Ca, Cl, etc, but the Sodium and Alkalinity are through the roof. You literally cannot brew one style of beer with this water, so I have to build everything from scratch.

I have always wanted to use buckwheat in a Saison, so I will definitely keep that in mind!

Question for people smarter than I:

What issues will I have if there is an excess of Protein in my mash?

As I mentioned earlier, a friend of mine is trying to get a malting business going. He gave me some 6-row malt, but his machine to remove the rootlets was not built yet. So I had to clean these sumbitches myself. I put them in a pillow case, tied it shut, and put it in the dryer (no-heat) for 30 minutes. I then poured the grain into a strainer and shook it around a bit to get some more off of there.

There are still some rootlets in there though. I was wondering if this will cause an issue with my beer? How will the excess protein affect the finished product?

I know I should just not be lazy and keep going until they are all removed....but holy **** it's annoying.

I want that recipie.... can I haz it pleze???

Brewed an Imperial IPA today.

15 lbs Golden Promise
0.5 lbs CaraRed (for a touch of color)
FWH 2 ounces of Apollo

2 ounces each of Azaaca, Medusa, and Galaxy added from 5 min left in the boil until 170 degrees in 1/2 ounce doses.

Omega DIPA yeast (aka Conan)

Unrelated, anyone tried HBC 291 or Loral as it was officially released?

Looks like yakimavalleyhops.com has a bunch in stock. Sooo tempting.

Got some from YCH as part of my NHC prize pack. Paired it with Citra. I dig the combo. Added a herbal, spicy, fruity element to the mix and pushed the sweeter citrus notes further than Citra by itself.

Got some from YCH as part of my NHC prize pack. Paired it with Citra. I dig the combo. Added a herbal, spicy, fruity element to the mix and pushed the sweeter citrus notes further than Citra by itself.

Nice! I ended up ordering a pound last night. I'm still on the fence on what to do with them. I really want to do a single hop beer just to see what they taste like on their own but at the same time wouldn't mind mixing it with Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy.

Because pitching US-05 isn't going to anything at this point.

US05/1056 is what my LHBS suggested. WLP099 was my first thought but I've read that it can be finicky if you don't keep feeding it fermentables. I didn't want to drive up the ABV past 15.5%.

Isn't the alcohol tolerance of US05 around 10%?

1968 alcohol tolerance is 9%. I've seen us05 go up to 15% before.

There is some activity already. I don't know if it will finish as low as I would like but got to try.

Did a yellow rose inspired all mosaic pale ale for a fishing trip in september. Its sitting in my chest freezer at 66 for the first 5 days, then free rise to 72 until it hits terminal. will get a 4.5oz dryhop before kegging her.
2016-08-08%2012.24.44_zpstwhiuov2.png

The most inefficient way to get some ac in the garage. Racking off 4.4 oz of mosaic dry hop, jamil mosaic hate be damned
20160828_193829_zpsiicjpchi.jpg

Back