What your drink of choice says about you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a 18 pack on hand and are willing to put in the work, somewhere before passing out from dehydration it can be found.

Coors like can cause a buzz? Wow, you learn something new every day!

Takes 2 hours at a party and you have to put down the full 30 pack in that time. You will be out $15, and a cheap bottle of whiskey would have done it quicker and cheaper. But it works. The rest of the night at the party will be spent either pissing in the bathroom or wanting to kill yourself for your stomach and head aches, possibly both.

cheezydemon3 said:
Know what would cause hair pulling for me? (almost does as a non-bartender)

having 23 varieties of awesome beer including 6 cask ales, and 90% of people order a michelob ultra.

Call me crazy, but I could not just hold my tongue.

Ha. There's a bar/ BBQ joint just north of Boston that always has 20 craft brews on tap, 5 Belgians, 1 cask, and a couple dozen varieties of whiskey and tequila. I love the place but it is always filled with college hipsters drinking PBR.

Ha. There's a bar/ BBQ joint just north of Boston that always has 20 craft brews on tap, 5 Belgians, 1 cask, and a couple dozen varieties of whiskey and tequila. I love the place but it is always filled with college hipsters drinking PBR.

Honestly, I could handle that easier.....michelob ultra is the most vomitous concoction imaginable.

PBR is, honest to God, a perfectly lovely beer to marinade wings in or drink while you are standing over the grill. The fact that the Williamsburg set will pay $8 a can for it drives me crazy, though.

Which reminds me, I got another one...

PBR- I am trying to take home the girl with the huge vintage glasses and she'll think I'm cool.

Honestly, I could handle that easier.....michelob ultra is the most vomitous concoction imaginable.

Have you tried Budweiser Platinum? It tastes like a fumigated building that has sat closed up for a while.

PBR is, honest to God, a perfectly lovely beer to marinade wings in or drink while you are standing over the grill. The fact that the Williamsburg set will pay $8 a can for it drives me crazy, though.

Which reminds me, I got another one...

PBR- I am trying to take home the girl with the huge vintage glasses and she'll think I'm cool.

PBR is an award winning beer.

Have you tried Budweiser Platinum? It tastes like a fumigated building that has sat closed up for a while.

I have still yet to figure out people's fascination with this beer.

I mean, the Lime-a-rita at least taste almost like a cheap margarita and comes in a 24oz Can. The Platinum.... Bad beer that is bland. I just don't get it.

Really I am just mad they come in blue bottles but are twist caps and not pops. Therefore I hate them.

I distinctly remember a time in my fraternity days where we hid liquor bottles around campus for the brothers to find. They left us a pyramid of beer (coors and natty light). The goal was to finish the pyramid before they found the bottles, drank them, and returned. I drank something like 30 coors and natty lights that night and not only did I not die, I made it to a party that same night. Drinking 30 12 oz waters might be enough to drop you so what does that say about coors?

I lol'd at the whiskey/rocks line ... so me, hahaha.

Although some of the bars i go to now, it's all genesee instead of PBR.

Sometimes, it's a shot and a beer night ... all night. For those nights alone and for $5, i love pabst.

I love a neat Fiddich or Livet and the occasional Sapphire and 7. Unfortunately the bar I play in for pool league is neither beer savvy or regularly has a decent selection of liquors. Usually start the night with a couple of Laughing Skulls (best beer they've got) and then we move on to a pitcher or 2 of AmberBock. It's $1 more for a pitcher of AmberBock than a single bottle of Laughing Skull after 7.

My youngest son brought some of that home the other day and said "you really got to try it, it's smooth and tasty! It's the best store brand beer I've ever had!"

So I tried it. I think Zuljin hit it dead on.

It's amusing to me when someone says their favorite liquor is vodka. It's a colorless, odorless, and flavorless spirit (if you actually get it without the crazy added flavors). What you should be buying it for is for the smoothness and it's ability to be hidden in a mixed cocktail.

"Patron - You hate tequila." Haha, so true. The best tequilas are those you've probably never heard of. Patron is a step above Cuervo Gold and other $15-20 mixtos... that's about it.

I lol'd at the whiskey/rocks line ... so me, hahaha.

Although some of the bars i go to now, it's all genesee instead of PBR.

Sometimes, it's a shot and a beer night ... all night. For those nights alone and for $5, i love pabst.

For whiskey shot and beer night, all you need is like one or two bottles of bud the whole night and some good live blues. Take any one of those items aways and you are in a world of hurt:drunk:

I can honestly say that I know jack **** about tequila. Any time I have had it, I can't remember what I did or didn't like about it. For some unknown reason it is my Achilles heel of drinks. You know how some people say whisky makes me frisky or vodka makes me angry? Well, tequila makes me fall face forward into a pool of my own piss. Luckily, I don't remember the experience myself, but this is what my friends tell me.

I can honestly say that I know jack **** about tequila. Any time I have had it, I can't remember what I did or didn't like about it. For some unknown reason it is my Achilles heel of drinks. You know how some people say whisky makes me frisky or vodka makes me angry? Well, tequila makes me fall face forward into a pool of my own piss. Luckily, I don't remember the experience myself, but this is what my friends tell me.

Try these blancos, they're smooth as can be and full of flavor:

Siete Leguas, Ocho, Penca Azul, Siembra Azul, 4 Copas

There is a forum on tequila.net if you're interested in learning more about quality tequila. Who knows... you could have a change of heart.

If you want to savor the complexity, then avoid triple-distilled tequilas. Double distilled is the way to go for those who want to appreciate their tequila. The more distilled, the less the agave character.

Also, highlands agave lends a much fruitier, citrusy, bright character than lowlands agave, which is more stoney, vegetal, grassy. One is not better than the other, but those who are new to tequila generally prefer highlands. Connoisseurs will enjoy both.

My wife's friend from highschool just finished her doctorate on a thesis that basically concludes that agave is the soy bean of the 21st Century. Apparently it does everything from save the whales to feed the homeless to get your back in the shower.

I experienced this phenomenon myself only it was with mescal. All i remember from the last time was waking up in soiled clothes with only one shoe in sight (on my foot) and I was in some stranger's house. She was cute, but I still have no idea who she was. I know we didn't do the horizontal mambo though. I was still dressed. The taste that was left in my mouth hung out for a few days too.

Try these blancos, they're smooth as can be and full of flavor:

Siete Leguas, Ocho, Penca Azul, Siembra Azul, 4 Copas

There is a forum on tequila.net if you're interested in learning more about quality tequila. Who knows... you could have a change of heart.

If you want to savor the complexity, then avoid triple-distilled tequilas. Double distilled is the way to go for those who want to appreciate their tequila. The more distilled, the less the agave character.

Also, highlands agave lends a much fruitier, citrusy, bright character than lowlands agave, which is more stoney, vegetal, grassy. One is not better than the other, but those who are new to tequila generally prefer highlands. Connoisseurs will enjoy both.

Thanks, but no way. I once won a wine drinking contest in Spain which involved dancing around like a fool squirting wine from a goat bladder into my mouth at arms length and not spilling a drop.
I also lost a tequila drinking contest to a girl which involved drinking a bunch of tequila, dancing around like a fool, and falling into a puddle of my own piss (According to my friends)

I'll stick with drinking grape juice out of random animal organs thank you very much. :)

I experienced this phenomenon myself only it was with mescal. All i remember from the last time was waking up in soiled clothes with only one shoe in sight (on my foot) and I was in some stranger's house. She was cute, but I still have no idea who she was. I know we didn't do the horizontal mambo though. I was still dressed. The taste that was left in my mouth hung out for a few days too.

Honestly, I think we all have an Achilles heel of drinks. Mine is just very extreme. :)

One more patron identified by drink request:

The "hoppiest beer you have": You don't feel like you've gotten your money's worth out of a beer unless your teeth are completely stripped of their enamel by the time you're done with it. You know it's a good beer when the hop fumes from your IIIIIPA make your girlfriend's eyes water from across the table. You're probably the kind of guy who buys the hottest hot sauce you can find, then pours half the bottle in your chili just to prove how tough you are. Yes, we all know that you bench pressed 320 lbs, and you can hold your breath under water for 2 1/2 minutes. Yes, we remember that time you ate 23 tacos from Taco Bell, just to prove that you could do it.

You're very impressive. Now please, let me drink my mild in peace.

The "hoppiest beer you have": You don't feel like you've gotten your money's worth out of a beer unless your teeth are completely stripped of their enamel by the time you're done with it. You know it's a good beer when the hop fumes from your IIIIIPA make your girlfriend's eyes water from across the table. You're probably the kind of guy who buys the hottest hot sauce you can find, then pours half the bottle in your chili just to prove how tough you are. Yes, we all know that you bench pressed 320 lbs, and you can hold your breath under water for 2 1/2 minutes. Yes, we remember that time you ate 23 tacos from Taco Bell, just to prove that you could do it.

I'll testify to that! Preach on brotha. You wanna drink something that has an aroma thats tantamount to 12 cats pissing in a bottle? Great. But do it over there.

jerrodm said:

The "hoppiest beer you have":

I laughed in public when I read this.

I work at a beer bar where a lot of young people like to meet up for their first Internet date. I've seen enough of them that I know when the dude (and it is always the dude) orders "the hoppiest thing you have", the date doesn't end too well. Invariably, the guy throws a few IIPA's back, not realizing they're 8-9%, and takes things a little further than he had planned, usually resulting in him leaving the bar alone. Tragic but hilarious.

mike280Z said:
"Hey bartender, can I get a....."

1.) Bud Light:

You just graduated college, or are likely to say, "Seriously, you don't got Bud Light?!" ...when I look at you and say, "Sorry man, we don't carry Bud Light." If not, you have 2-5 kids and play in my parents co-ed softball league. Your preferred method of consumption is in a can wrapped up in a foam coozy.

2.) Any Obscure Beer That Odds Are Really Good I Don't Carry:

"Yeah, can I get a Old Thomas IPA?" Odds are good that you're pry a ****** bag with little common sense and a trust fund. Unfortunately the only one that sells it was the store you went to in suburban Ohio, or Old Thomas himself. The people at your job think your a narc and I'm sure your parents wouldn't be tremendously heartbroken if you couldn't make it home for Christmas this year.

3.) Wine

Your either a smart woman or a guy I wanna slap in the face. 98% of the time guys order wine they are trying to showcase their superior intelligence or sommelier level knowledge of the grape variety that was used. There is a good chance you batted 9th in Little League and are considering growing a mustache if not already sporting a fury lip accessory at the moment.

4.) Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye:

Its all in how you order it...

Neat - you like whiskey. That whiskey. If you are invited to a BBQ, your first question is if there will be a full bottle of the stuff you like. If you are told "no" then a stop at the nearest liquor store prior to your attendance is necessary.

Rocks - you have punched at least five guys in the face, have a tattoo honoring someone who passed away, or are a hipster with at least 4 and no more than 8 PBR's in your fridge.

Old Fashion - you have no idea what's in this drink. You hear them ordered when watching Mad Men with your group of buddies who are are also busy not getting laid. Then our lives intersect upon you entering my bar.

Scotch - You are my grandfathers age and have a great story about back in the day. If you are under the age of 35 odds are good that you hate drinking this stuff but really hope everyone heard your order, as to show you are a man. You are also wondering how you can have a Mike's Hard Lemonade delivered to the privacy of the men's bathroom stall so you can shame drink.

Vodka:

The official sprit of loud women, and drop out fraternity guys. Be it a vodka soda, or the Evil Bastard of two part alcoholic drinks...Vodka and Red Bull, they are the evil nectar that fuels your most annoying patrons. Also 100% of exit polls answered by the people vomiting in my bathroom said vodka was their drink of choice.

5.) Gin:

You are English, or if American you enjoy the cocktail culture. There are actually an overwhelming amount of Americans that hate this spirit. It usually goes back to a bad experience when we were in high school and raided our parents liquor cabinet, and the only thing in there was a ****ty bottle of gin. Then we drank it with Sunny D (Thank you Snoop Doggy Dogg) , and a couple hours later got violently ill. This painful memory has now given you a chip on your shoulder for this spirit.

I, as well as a lot of great bartenders prefer to mix proper gin cocktails. When done correctly, it's amazing. So I have a guy that comes in and likes trying new and different cocktails with only one rule...no gin. I have only been making his drinks with gin for the past three years, and he has no idea.

6.) Tequila/Rum

Rum and Coke- That must have been a fake I.D.

Daiquiri - You have seen "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" or own a Jimmy Buffet concert tee shirt.

Patron - You hate tequila, especially because you also ordered it chilled. If you ordered Cafe Patron I'm willing to bet you the joint in my pocket that you have cocaine in yours.

Mezcal - You know your tequila and have a sophisticated pallet. If not, you're ordering it for your buddy because you think my Mezcal has a worm in it and you want to make your buddy puke. You are the guy that can't wait for your friends to pass out at a house party so you can whip out your Sharpie and draw a dick on his face.

7.) and lastly...Water:

You are either one of three:

1.) Responsible and Courteous - The confident dude who has a water with his drinks because he knows how to handle booze correctly. Never the guy to make a scene and usually is the fella with the really hot woman in the bar. Always tosses you a buck for every water you pour him.

2.) Cheep - You're pry going outside my bar every 30 minutes to smoke all your buddies pot because you're broke. So you're thrifty kickin' status has brought you into my bar for an evening of free waters because I guess I'm a hydration philanthropist.

3.) Drunk - You know yer drunk. I know yer drunk. No one in here really thinks yer a designated driver candidate.

"Cheers!" -:mug:

TIL:
If you order drinks, you're most likely a ******.
Some good nuggets of truth here!

It's amusing to me when someone says their favorite liquor is vodka. It's a colorless, odorless, and flavorless spirit (if you actually get it without the crazy added flavors). What you should be buying it for is for the smoothness and it's ability to be hidden in a mixed cocktail.

"Patron - You hate tequila." Haha, so true. The best tequilas are those you've probably never heard of. Patron is a step above Cuervo Gold and other $15-20 mixtos... that's about it.

This is a misconception. Vodka is neither flavorless, nor oderless, and there is a huge variance in quality. Quality vodka will have far fewer phenols, esters, and fusel alchohols than cheaper options. It will taste and smell better, and it will not give you the hangovers associated with the cheap stuff. Just as you would be able to notice differences in a beer brewed using two different yeasts, you should be able to notice differences in vodkas.

This is a misconception. Vodka is neither flavorless, nor oderless, and there is a huge variance in quality. Quality vodka will have far fewer phenols, esters, and fusel alchohols than cheaper options. It will taste and smell better, and it will not give you the hangovers associated with the cheap stuff. Just as you would be able to notice differences in a beer brewed using two different yeasts, you should be able to notice differences in vodkas.

Same with tequila.

I disagree. Of course there is some flavor or else we wouldn't be able to discern vodka from water. But as a spirit it is extremely neutral in flavor and odor. You're buying vodka for the smoothness, the mouthfeel, and it's versatility... not it's flavor, complexity, or unique smell. Especially because this spirit is usually distilled several times, stripping it of any character from the grain or potato that were used to make it. With vodka, there is no mixto vs. 100% agave. There is no oak aging or hints of vanilla. You just have a blank slate.

As far as quality goes, the variance is not all that huge when compared to say Whiskey, Rum, or Tequila. 98% of the decent vodkas on the market are in the $20-40 range for standard bottle size with no advancements in terms of complexity of actual flavor from the 2% of higher priced $60 bottles... just smoothness and mouthfeel. There are a few like Crystal Skull, Jewel of Russia, and Jean XO that are considered "luxury" (I guess)... but you're mostly paying for the fancy bottle design.

If you want to taste Vodka with flavor, try Gin. When it comes down to it, it is very close to vodka with that added juniper complexity.

Ever since I first read the title of this thread "What does your drink of choice say about you"? I've become more and more paranoid. Now I won't leave my drink in a room without me because I'm afraid of the conversations it may be having about me with the coffee table behind my back. :(

Ever since I first read the title of this thread "What does your drink of choice say about you"? I've become more and more paranoid. Now I won't leave my drink in a room without me because I'm afraid of the conversations it may be having about me with the coffee table behind my back. :(

They are totally in cahoots together to leave water rings on that large pretentious conversation starter coffee table book that you thought was still cool:cross:

Right? Probably complaining about my bad breath--I swear, I couldn't find my toothbrush this morning!

bobbrews, you are not really that far off the mark with regard to vodka. Many people take it more seriously though. Interestingly gin is just vodka that has a portion of its vapor fed through a "gin basket" which contains botanicals. The vapor causes the botanicals to release their essential oils into the vodka thus creating gin.

Better spirits are usually distilled less times rather than more. Distilled 5 times is more of an advertising ploy. Its kinda of like the "our beer is triple hopped" of the distilling world. I can personally gaurantee that the 12 dollar 1.75l of Phillips vodka you just bought never went through a still more than once, even though it says distilled 5 times on its label. A true two pass distillation would produce a higher quality spirit, and if the take off abv was correct, would produce a superior product. I suspect this is what is being done in some of the finer tequilas.

Ya know what? I dont give a fuq what my choice of drink says about me. No. Fuq all this. Okay. Converstaion abut it, fine. My choice of drink says I want a fuqing drink and you are a bartender. We got a deal here see.. Arragangments have been made in times long before us. I'm going to order a drink and you are going to make it and I am going to pay like the cost of the whole bottle for a shot of this and that. And I'm going to tip you. Holy fuq and you compalin and come up with pretentious bull****? dude.

Zuljin said:
Ya know what? I dont give a fuq what my choice of drink says about me. No. Fuq all this. Okay. Converstaion abut it, fine. My choice of drink says I want a fuqing drink and you are a bartender. We got a deal here see.. Arragangments have been made in times long before us. I'm going to order a drink and you are going to make it and I am going to pay like the cost of the whole bottle for a shot of this and that. And I'm going to tip you. Holy fuq and you compalin and come up with pretentious bull****? dude.

Haha I'm guessing you've had to many of a particular "fuqing"drink listed her and maybe one of the descriptions here felt to close to home. As a disclaimer I guess I should have written for entertainment purposes only. That being said I think that like many of people's various tendencies you can glean something from drink choices.

Haha I'm guessing you've had to many of a particular "fuqing"drink listed her and maybe one of the descriptions here felt to close to home. As a disclaimer I guess I should have written for entertainment purposes only. That being said I think that like many of people's various tendencies you can glean something from drink choices.

I'm guessing that entertainment purposes is a one way concept to you. You've been had.:p

What? I aint playing. If I go to bar, unlikely as I can drink in the comfort of my own home, on a sofa with recliners and cup holders and lights and it fuqqing vibrates, and I go to a bar and I pay the bar price for booze, dude, make my drink and be damn glad I ordered that. My choice of drink says you get paid tonight, bar keep.

What? I aint playing. If I go to bar, unlikely as I can drink in the comfort of my own home, on a sofa with recliners and cup holders and lights and it fuqqing vibrates, and I go to a bar and I pay the bar price for booze, dude, make my drink and be damn glad I ordered that. My choice of drink says you get paid tonight, bar keep.

Sounds like the bartenders in your town are happy you stay at home.

Back