What would you call something halfway between a Dunkles Weissbier and a Weizenbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have about 5 pounds of Weyermann wheat malt and a bunch of a local malt that I'm not sure whether is better characterized as a dark Munich (20°L) or an aromatic malt (maybe that's a distinction w/o a difference.) It is diastatic but weak. I want to brew something 6.5 to 7% ABV using about 55% wheat and 45% the 20° malt, and WB-06 yeast. Not sure what hops but just a light dose of 60-minute hops, probably Mt. Hood, Willamette, or Tradition, and no late hops.

I suppose just call it "beer", or more specifically "strong amber wheat beer", and don't enter it in any BJCP competitions where it needs to match a style :) But do the Germans have a name for a beer like this? It seems closest to a Weizenbock but it's not strong enough.

Make it and taste it. If the alcohol hits you, it's a weizenbock. If it's smooth and easy-drinking, it's a dunkelweizen.

And you didn't ask but ... WB-06 for weissbier?! That's an 11.5-g packet of "nope" for me.

Make it and taste it. If the alcohol hits you, it's a weizenbock. If it's smooth and easy-drinking, it's a dunkelweizen.

And you didn't ask but ... WB-06 for weissbier?! That's an 11.5-g packet of "nope" for me.

Munich Classic, then? I haven't ordered the yeast yet. I guess I could go 3068.

I've made some really good beers with Munich Classic, though for me it can be hit-or-miss. Can't go wrong with 3068. (Well, one can, especially without temperature control.)

I want to brew something 6.5 to 7% ABV using about 55% wheat and 45% the 20° malt
This sounds to me like a Weizenbock. There are plenty of authentic German ones at or under 7%, including Unertl Haag and Schönramer.

In reality the Germans are far less precious about the ABV bands of their beers than the BJCP seem to suggest (in fact I'd go so far as to say that the BJCP guidelines diverge further from the actual reality of "authentic" beer more with Bocks, Doppelbocks and Weizenbocks than any other sorts of beer). See also- plenty of under-7% "doppelbocks".

Also, don't use WB-06. 3068 is the "best" wheat beer yeast IMO.

I’ll second (?) third (?) the suggestion for 3068 it’s the best weizen yeast in my experience

Back