What would happen if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsg02

Reaction score
What would happen if one were to use a whole Coopers (or any LME for a 5 gallon batch) and used it in a Mr. Beer with nothing else, no DME or corn sugar. Would it turn out to be a very high abv beer and very full bodied?

I have no experience with Mr. Beer. You can make beer with just LME, water, hops and yeast if that's what you are asking. Without steeping grains it won't be very complex but it will be beer.

I have no experience with Mr. Beer. You can make beer with just LME, water, hops and yeast if that's what you are asking. Without steeping grains it won't be very complex but it will be beer.

I mean't using that much LME in a more concentrated form

Oh ok. Normally if you use less water you just get a stronger beer. I'm not actually sure what it will taste like if you cut the water amount in 1/2... my guess would be a very strong tasting beer and possibly a pronounced alcoholic taste. Then again... maybe if alter the recipe right you can sorta make a dubbel :)

What would happen if one were to use a whole Coopers (or any LME for a 5 gallon batch) and used it in a Mr. Beer with nothing else, no DME or corn sugar. Would it turn out to be a very high abv beer and very full bodied?

If you mean 1 can of 1.7kg (?) coopers (hopped) extract in a mr beer size fermenter. It will make beer and probably be a bit fuller than if you used a mr beer kit with corn sugar. Only thing is it might be a bit more bitter than what they were aiming for but shouldn't be to bad. I have used 2 cans of coopers extract and no sugar instead of the "recipe" and it came out much nicer than any kit and kilo I had done before.

If you mean 1 can of 1.7kg (?) coopers (hopped) extract in a mr beer size fermenter. It will make beer and probably be a bit fuller than if you used a mr beer kit with corn sugar. Only thing is it might be a bit more bitter than what they were aiming for but shouldn't be to bad. I have used 2 cans of coopers extract and no sugar instead of the "recipe" and it came out much nicer than any kit and kilo I had done before.

Yes, that's what I meant. The Mr. Beer cans are about 1.25 pounds, (I think) and using 2 of them for a batch like the premium kits should add up to about 2.5 pounds. A coopers kit says it's 3.75 pounds, so making that in a Mr. Beer would be about 1.5 times the extract in the fermenter.

Back