What type of hops is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar Hernandez

Reaction score
Hi,

I´m new in this foro and brewing XD, so my uncle gave me 5 ounces of hops, but I do not know what kind of hops it is, can you guess what type is only with a picture?

he forget what kind of hops is it and the hops is almost 1 year old but keep flavor and odor...

thanks all in advance...

Attachments

• IMG_1133-2.JPG
    IMG_1133-2.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 191
Wow I have never seen them get brown like that before it looks like animal food pellets

No one can tell you what they are you will have to smell and figure out its best use from there as you said they still smell good still (which surprises me to be honest)

Wow I have never seen them get brown like that before

I have. A work colleague bought some hops in to give me......his dad used to brew years ago and had them left over, wrapped in a loose piece of plastic film in a hot shed. I politely accepted them and later threw them in the bin - they smelled like stale, woody cheese without even a hint of green colour.

I'd throw those away. Why take a chance and ruin a beer?
However, you can try steeping them in hot water for 10 minutes or so and see how aromatic they are. Tasting it may not give you any proof that they are good.

I've never seen hops that look like that. I'm with @Beer-lord on this one--toss 'em. Hops are pretty cheap, and who would want to spend the hours brewing and the cost in fuel and water and grain only to find the hops are NG?

for reference these are Jarrylo hops from 2016. So i don't think their just old either.

100_0529.JPG

But could be hop hash?

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't throw these away. These hops or any hops that have that cheesy smell are perfect for a Lambic. If you are a new brewer this may be outside your scope at this point but i believe you can hold onto them longer if you ever do get to that point. Those hops can also be used when making yeast starters.

Thanks All... how I say, Im new, and I need advice so.... I had make my first beer this weekend, one gallon, for test so I will have to buy a new hops XDDD, so I will try steeping in water, in 3 weeks I will tell all how it was XDDDD

Thanks

Those look like very old and/or very badly stored hops. Unless you are into weird sour beers. I would trash them and get some new hops.

Vacuum bagged and frozen will keep hops the longest. Open to air at hot temperatures - trash them. You could easily blow $30 + ingredients for a couple $s of old hops.

yes may be I trew this hops, but first I found something and I like share with all XDDD

My uncle try tu remeber what hops he bought less than a year.... and he say something like a Hallertau or MT Hood T90.... so with this names of hops I takemy keyboard for investigate and I find this..... so, is my sight or seem like a my hops

https://www.morebeer.com/search?search=hallertau

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-Hops...riorityFlatRateEnvelope!33166!US!-1:rk:7:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50g-Mt-Hoo...=item590818cd08:g:HWwAAOSwjAlao2ex:rk:10:pf:0

https://www.morebeer.com/products/mt-hood-hops-pellets.html

And yes my hops is more pale.... XDDD but I dont know...

I have to taste my beer and if no have gooda falvor or aroma or is bad, I trew this hops XDDD.... but first I wait

PD: sorry for my english XDD

Pulverize a few of those pellets, smush them between your palms, then give them a good deep sniff.
If you like what you smell go ahead and use them...

Cheers!

lmao. So there was at least one "exbeeriment" that actually had a conclusive result!
There should be a national holiday or something ;)

10 year old poorly stored hops though. The OP's are apparently but one year of age.
There may be hope...

Cheers!

lmao. So there was at least one "exbeeriment" that actually had a conclusive result!
There should be a national holiday or something ;)

10 year old poorly stored hops though. The OP's are apparently but one year of age.
There may be hope...

Cheers!

LOL!

“Frankly, I couldn’t stomach the old hop beer, it was horrendous, to the point I actually felt bad serving it to participants.” — Marshall Schott

My uncle try tu remeber what hops he bought less than a year.... and he say something like a Hallertau or MT Hood T90.... so with this names of hops I takemy keyboard for investigate and I find this..... so, is my sight or seem like a my hops
Again, you cannot tell by looking at a picture of hop pellets which hops they are. They all pretty much look the same once they are in pellet form.

Back