Hop and yeast score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so for those who missed it, a poster about 30 mins from me was looking to off load a bunch of hops, mostly pellet. So, me being cheap and curious, I make the trek to his place. 30 mins and a cup of coffee and I am there. Cool. He has a nice place in a great area, just saying. Meet up, shake hands and start BSing. Great guy and has a really cool backyard with a brick pizza oven. LOL. OK, so now the fun starts. He starts to off load the hops from a freezer, and the packets and jars just keep coming. Total take is as follows (all were either frozen in vacuum sealed jars or in the original packages, some sealed and some not, but all were frozen:

All are pellet hops unless indicated:
2 Mason jars with about 2 lbs of pellets each (He said they were cascade)
1 ounce of full cone hops of Cascade as well
12 ounces of Idaho 7
5.5 oz of Chinook
7 oz of Simcoe
7oz of Amarillo
4 oz of Citra (2 2 oz packets sealed)
1 oz of Perle
1 oz of Magnum
2 oz of Centenial
3 oz of Hallertau (sp?)
7.5 oz Columbus

20230930_220708.jpg

Now, if this wasn't enough, he gave me at least 7 or 8 vials of US05 frozen yeast and about the same in a British strain I believe as well. These were in insulated jars and submersed in Rubbing Alcohol (I need to get a couple of thermos jars for these still.

All of the items were put in bags and transported home, 30 mins with the air conditioning on in the car to keep it cool. The yeast was put in a cooler with some ice packs to help keep it frozen. When I got home, all the items were placed in the freezer right away so as not to thaw out. The next night, all opened packages not in vacuum sealed jars were weighed, labled vaccum sealed (using an Ink Bird Vacuum sealer that my wife absolutely loves) and put back in the freezer for long term storage. The vacuum sealed containers were immediately put into the freezer section of my kegerator where they will stay until I can use up all the other stuff. LOL.

As I sealed the opened packages, I gave them a quick smell. Nothing smelled odd or out of the ordinary, so I am good there I think. The 30 min ride taking them home should not have had any ill effects and they went right back into cold storage. So, all is good I think.

First off, thank you to the poster here, and I am horrible with names so I apologise in advance, for giving me a huge amount of supplies that will be used for months if not years to come. LOL

Next, i will be doing a bit of research on cultivating yeast as I now have about 15 to 20 vials to work with. Why not give it a try, right?

This being a hobby I must say that I have not found a more generous group of folks. You all are free with info, advice and in at least two occasions for me, a ton of equipment and supplies to keep me going. I thank all of you for the input in making this hobby so much fun. I hope at some point I can start to pay it forward.

Any input on any of this is welcomed and encouraged. Once again, I really cannot thank you all enough for being such a great group. Rock On!!!!!!!!!

OK, so for those who missed it, a poster about 30 mins from me was looking to off load a bunch of hops, mostly pellet. So, me being cheap and curious, I make the trek to his place. 30 mins and a cup of coffee and I am there. Cool. He has a nice place in a great area, just saying. Meet up, shake hands and start BSing. Great guy and has a really cool backyard with a brick pizza oven. LOL. OK, so now the fun starts. He starts to off load the hops from a freezer, and the packets and jars just keep coming. Total take is as follows (all were either frozen in vacuum sealed jars or in the original packages, some sealed and some not, but all were frozen:

All are pellet hops unless indicated:
2 Mason jars with about 2 lbs of pellets each (He said they were cascade)
1 ounce of full cone hops of Cascade as well
12 ounces of Idaho 7
5.5 oz of Chinook
7 oz of Simcoe
7oz of Amarillo
4 oz of Citra (2 2 oz packets sealed)
1 oz of Perle
1 oz of Magnum
2 oz of Centenial
3 oz of Hallertau (sp?)
7.5 oz Columbus

View attachment 830580

Now, if this wasn't enough, he gave me at least 7 or 8 vials of US05 frozen yeast and about the same in a British strain I believe as well. These were in insulated jars and submersed in Rubbing Alcohol (I need to get a couple of thermos jars for these still.

All of the items were put in bags and transported home, 30 mins with the air conditioning on in the car to keep it cool. The yeast was put in a cooler with some ice packs to help keep it frozen. When I got home, all the items were placed in the freezer right away so as not to thaw out. The next night, all opened packages not in vacuum sealed jars were weighed, labled vaccum sealed (using an Ink Bird Vacuum sealer that my wife absolutely loves) and put back in the freezer for long term storage. The vacuum sealed containers were immediately put into the freezer section of my kegerator where they will stay until I can use up all the other stuff. LOL.

As I sealed the opened packages, I gave them a quick smell. Nothing smelled odd or out of the ordinary, so I am good there I think. The 30 min ride taking them home should not have had any ill effects and they went right back into cold storage. So, all is good I think.

First off, thank you to the poster here, and I am horrible with names so I apologise in advance, for giving me a huge amount of supplies that will be used for months if not years to come. LOL

Next, i will be doing a bit of research on cultivating yeast as I now have about 15 to 20 vials to work with. Why not give it a try, right?

This being a hobby I must say that I have not found a more generous group of folks. You all are free with info, advice and in at least two occasions for me, a ton of equipment and supplies to keep me going. I thank all of you for the input in making this hobby so much fun. I hope at some point I can start to pay it forward.

Any input on any of this is welcomed and encouraged. Once again, I really cannot thank you all enough for being such a great group. Rock On!!!!!!!!!
What a score!!
Advice: brew a ton of beer!

Back