what to do with priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armypilot

Reaction score
I just had a thought. As I made my favorite cream ale today I was thinking that I wish I had a use for this priming sugar bag, since I always keg I don't need it. Then it occurred to me maybe I could add it to my brew to get the alcohol level up. Has anyone ever done this? Would it change the taste of the beer? Is it just a bad idea? thanks for any help.

It won't really affect the flavor. I've used it plenty of times in ciders. If you use a more then the yeast can eat however it'll of course be a sugary brew at the end. Think of it like this, most priming sugar is corn sugar. Corn is used in alot of spirit recipes to get the base alcohol such as moonshine, which has no taste but alcohol.

I forgot to add the 0.80 lb of sugar ( per 5.5 gal) I normally put into my IPA two brews ago..It did not affect the flavor per say, but you could tell something was off, missing its overall normal roundness that it has. That missing part was the balance/sweetness ( alcohol is sugar after all) the additional ABV imparts to the overall beer. There is a good chance you adding it to yours will indeed improve your beer as well, and not go the other way as your concerned with.
Like anything there is a threshold as to where the line of too much is at for any beer style, but the normal 5 oz or so supplied in a kit would never be too much to ruin any beer IMHO.

Back