What temperature does yeast die at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luk-cha

Reaction score
Hi I have just brewed my first batch of beer, all went well, but i am just worried that i might have pitch the yeast at too high a temp is did it at 39 °C/ 102.2 °F.

The temp now has droped to 32C/ 90 °F will it be ok, or am i worrying over nothing?

Thanks in advance!

It won't die at those temperature, but I'd put it in a water bath and cool it more as the beer will come out tasting terrible as well as have a compound called "fusel alcohols" (which create headaches and a "hot" taste) if it ferments that warm. Ideally, it'd be in the mid 60s when you put the yeast in it, and remain there.

It won't die at those temperature, but I'd put it in a water bath and cool it more as the beer will come out tasting terrible as well as have a compound called "fusel alcohols" (which create headaches and a "hot" taste) if it ferments that warm. Ideally, it'd be in the mid 60s when you put the yeast in it, and remain there.

so if i cool it more now before the fermentation starts, it shouldn't be an issue, as i have a fan on full at it?

That is very high for beer and I know of no style that is fermented at those temps.

The highest I know of are the Belgians and they go up in the 80s

Your yeast will probably love the temp but the result might have a lot of off flavors

It is always best to review the recommended fermenting temps for the yeast you are using.

I usually cast at the high end of the yeasts range and put the beer in a cool place so it cools down and ferments in it's "mid-range"...

Good luck.

Thanks guys! i hope that the cooling will help it and there wont be any or too many off flavors, for some reason i was thinking 80°F was around the 40°C mark

You actually want to get it down to about 18C (64.4F) at the start of fermentation. So chill the wort before adding to the fermenter. 65 66F is great for ale yeast if you can maintain those temps with a swamp cooler or the like.

"so if i cool it more now before the fermentation starts, it shouldn't be an issue, as i have a fan on full at it?"

Just a point of clarification - fermentation has already started. The second you toss the yeast into wort, you've started the process. The yeast are already starting to eat and multiply long before there are any visible signs of fermentation. In fact, the first 48 hours or so after pitching are the most critical in terms of the overall flavor of the finished beer.

That isn't to say the beer is ruined by any stretch. The faster you bring everything to optimal levels, the more likely it is that you'll end up with a quality product.

Pitching at that high temp & then cooling it down can also shock the yeast,or make them settle out dormant. I've had that happen at the beginning. now I find it better to cool it down to,say,64F & pitch. Then let the fermenter temp come up slightly to between 65-69F. Especially with the WL029 ale/kolsh yeast I used on the last couple batches. Kept it in it's optimal range,just as an example. always try to keep ferment temps in the yeast's optimal fermenting range for best results.

thanks for all the answers, well noted on the pitching temp - i will truly learn from this error.

well i have just returned from work and i am happy to say i have fermention in good progress! i am hoping that high pitching temp has not spoilt it, this is one mistake i shall not repeat

Hey guys I pitched a belgian saison wyeast starter from a stir plate and crashed, into a 6gallon 1.058og saison at 68 degrees, I fridge came unplugged somehow and the temp this morning was 92 degrees wondering what I'll effect that would have, is fusel alcohol definitely going to be present, I have since wrapped a cold towel around it and plugged fridge back up but left door cracked so it doesn't drop to fast and shock the yeast. Any ideas if the beer is ruined would prolonged aging help any off favors, I planned on adding 5lbs of fresh berries in the secondary, is it even worth it at this point.

Hey guys I pitched a belgian saison wyeast starter from a stir plate and crashed, into a 6gallon 1.058og saison at 68 degrees, I fridge came unplugged somehow and the temp this morning was 92 degrees wondering what I'll effect that would have, is fusel alcohol definitely going to be present, I have since wrapped a cold towel around it and plugged fridge back up but left door cracked so it doesn't drop to fast and shock the yeast. Any ideas if the beer is ruined would prolonged aging help any off favors, I planned on adding 5lbs of fresh berries in the secondary, is it even worth it at this point.

How long do you think the beer was at 68 before the temperature started to climb? Was the 92 degrees the beer temperature or the air temp? Which yeast did you use as there are several saison yeasts with differing temperature preferences?

Not sure maybe a couple hrs, I used the wyeast belgian saison and it recommends temps at around 90 degrees so I guess all should be well, it was actual beer temp, I have it at around 80 now and the airlock is pretty steady so hoping all is well with it. It was sitting in front of the vent so it got warm wish I could keep at about 90 like it said maybe I'll add a heating pad to keep a little warmer

Back