What Size Batch with 9 gallon pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGibb

Reaction score
Adventures in Homebrewing has their 9 gallon 1- and 2-weld pots on sale for 69.99 and 79.99 respectively.

What size batches can I do in this size pot? I know I can do 5 gallon extract, but what about BIAB? 5 gallon All Grain? Can I do a 10 gallon all grain and top up to volume in the fermenter?

Incidentally, does anyone have one of these? What do you think? How handy is it to have the two weld?

I've got that 2 weld 9gal pot and I do 5 gal batches BIAB with the full-volume. I could do maybe 5.5gal, but not with a very large grain bill like an imperial stout. The pot works great for all grain BIAB because if you buy a 5gal paint strainer bag (~3$ at Lowes for 2) its elastic top fits perfectly secured around the pot. And you can reuse the things several times. I've done close to 70 batches in that pot and its still going steady. I'd definitely recommend adding a ball valve, thermometer, and dip tube if you're doing BIAB in it. Super easy and only one vessel to clean

What do you plan to use it for? If mashing, I'd really like the 2-weld, with a fitting for a thermometer. If you just want it to boil, I don't know what you'd use the second fitting for.

What do you plan to use it for? If mashing, I'd really like the 2-weld, with a fitting for a thermometer. If you just want it to boil, I don't know what you'd use the second fitting for.

That's what I need to hear. So if I am going to BIAB, I would get the 2-weld. If I get one for a mashtun and one for a brew kettle, I would get one of each a 2-weld and 1-weld.

Makes more sense to me.

Just ordered the 2 weld last night, with thermometer and ball valve. Birthday gift for myself. Already have an 8 gal pot (no holes), but wanted a little more room and plan to use for mashing (sometimes) as well as boil. I've got a BIAB bag from Wilserbrewer...this just opens up the possibilities if I don't want to use my 10 gal Igloo mash tun, or want to do step mashes and so forth. Pretty excited about getting going with it!

That's what I need to hear. So if I am going to BIAB, I would get the 2-weld. If I get one for a mashtun and one for a brew kettle, I would get one of each a 2-weld and 1-weld.

Makes more sense to me.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say. But if you really want a separate mash tun, dont waste money on a kettle since it's not insulated

I'm skeptical about the accuracy of the built in thermometer and when doing BIAB you have to watch so the bag doesn't catch on the projecting probe. JMHO

I'm skeptical about the accuracy of the built in thermometer and when doing BIAB you have to watch so the bag doesn't catch on the projecting probe. JMHO

I've never had an issue with my temp probe catching on the bag or ripping it by accident. Their thermometers aren't built-in - they are threaded attachments that, at least my my initial tests, are pretty accurate. There will be thermal stratification using an uninsulated pot as a mash tun, but nothing a quick stir can't fix.

I use this exact pot for BIAB over the last year (9 gallon w/ two weld, blichmann thermometer, 1 piece ball valve). I got my bag from wilserbrewer and PM'ed him to have him make it a little bigger so it would not catch on the thermometer. I haven't had many issues with the bag catching on the thermometer but you do have to think a little when pulling the bag. I have been doing 6 gallons at the end of the boil batches and the 9 gallon pot is too small IMO. An average batch for me is about 12 pounds of grain at 80% efficiency. I would still have to sparge about 1.75 gallons to get to 7 gallons preboil. I squeeze the heck out of my bag, there isn't much wort left in the grains when I am done.

I have been very happy with the pot itself. I use a SQ14 propane burner and haven't had any scorching of wort or bag (direct fire to maintain mash temp, continuous stirring when flame is on). I use a domed false bottom to keep the bag off the bottom and to filter pellet gunk and hot break.

I just ordered the 15 gallon version of this from AIH. I opted to get the adjustable face thermometer vs. fixed face. I am selling my old setup to a good friend of mine. I totally recommend this for the price point, very, very hard to beat!

I BIAB in a 9 gallon kettle, with batches going up to about 6.5 gallons into the fermenter (could even push it further), at 80%+ brewhouse efficiency. The key is to reserve some of your calculated mash water for sparging. If Beersmith tells me to mash in with 8 gallons (which pushes my kettle to the limit regardless of the grainbill), I instead mash in with 6 gallons and reserve 2 gallons for sparging the bag in a bucket after the mash, then drain, squeeze, and toss that sparge water into the kettle while it's still coming to a boil. Mash volume is generally the greatest limitation for a BIAB setup, so sparging like I do gives you extra headspace to play with, so you can up the volume and/or gravity of your brews without any extra equipment (other than a bucket that you almost certainly have if you're brewing).

Back