Half-size Batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
This is one of those questions that I am pretty sure of the answer but want to hear from people have actually done it to get any tips or pointers. I normally brew 5 gallon batches so all my equipment is geared toward 5 gallon brews (35L brewzilla, 30L Speidel fermenters and 5 gallon kegs). I want to start brewing some half batches (2.5 gallon) for when I am testing a new recipe. I know that recipes will scale down (ie just half everything) and I know I can do smaller batches in the Brewzilla. My main question is regarding the larger fermenters and kegs, specifically about the extra headspace. I have good processes in place to limit O2 exposure during kegging. Any tips/pointers/downsides to putting 2.5 gal batches in fermenters and kegs designed for 5 gal?

Any tips/pointers/downsides to putting 2.5 gal batches in fermenters and kegs designed for 5 gal?
Nope, but I do brew quite a few 2.5 gallon batches. Your full size fermenter should be fine. There are some reasonably priced small fermenters like the Fermonster (I have a pair of 3 gallon) and Speidel. I also have a 3.5 gallon brew bucket.

Again, your 5 gallon kegs will work fine. You will end up using more CO2 vs a smaller keg, but maybe just an extra $1 per batch. For me the killer would have been room in my kegerator. I got a pair of 10L Torpedo kegs that stack into almost the same area as a 5 gallon keg. The downside is the $100-ish price tag per keg. Kegland does sell the 8L Oxebar kegs that have potential.

Another option might be to ferment and serve from a 5 gallon keg. That way you know the keg is fully purged of oxygen, and you could offset the CO2 usage needed to purge and carbonate in a 5 gallon keg. I have done this with a 3 gallon batch, and it worked out well.

If you have ever wondered about pressurized fermentations, you could certainly use your 5 gallon kegs for those 2.5 gallon batches. All you'd need is a floating diptube and a spunding valve.

I agree with Cascades about the 2.5 gallon Torpedo kegs. I love mine.

Back