What kind of scores does it generally take to place in a competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
I mean, I realize that's really dependent on the size and quality of the particular competition, but for just a average (non-national) competition, what sort of scores are generally taking those 1-2-3 spots?

High 30s or low 40s, depends on the judges, the flight order and what you are up against. I have gotten golds with beers in the high 30s while in the same comp only a silver with a beer that was in the 40s...it just had stiffer competition.

Yeah. Just curious. I scored a 39 (40 from the certified judge/38 from the apprentice) with a Strong Scotch Ale at the Buzz Off 2009 a week ago, but it didn't place. There were 15 entries in the flight. Oh well. I'm happy with that score though. It's the 3rd beer I've sent to a competition and the highest I've scored.

Yeah, it varies. Some judges give higher scores, some give lower scores. Some categories are tough. And some categories have a lot of really high scoring beers. I had a RIS once that scored a 44 and didn't even place. And yeah, I had an ESB once with a 38 or something that got second place. I'd say, generally, though, if you're closing in on 40 you're in great shape.

Back