What kind of beer style did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjeisenb

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I wanted to make a hefeweizen with heavy peat malt, but the home-brew store only had American wheat ale. What kind of beer can I call it? Below I have attached the grain bill, hop additions, and yeast profile.

Cheers!
Sam

Grains
3lbs 3oz Western White Wheat
1lb 12.2 oz Vienna
8oz Heavy Peat Malt

Hop Additions
Magnum @ 60min.
Tettnang @ 25min.
Tettnang @ 0min.

Yeast Profile
2 pkgs. Wyeast #1010 American Wheat Ale

Attachments

• IMG_5547.jpg
    IMG_5547.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
Hey guys! So I wanted to make a hefeweizen with heavy peat malt, but the home-brew store only had American wheat ale. What kind of beer can I call it? Below I have attached the grain bill, hop additions, and yeast profile.

Cheers!
Sam

Grains
3lbs 3oz Western White Wheat
1lb 12.2 oz Vienna
8oz Heavy Peat Malt

Hop Additions
Magnum @ 60min.
Tettnang @ 25min.
Tettnang @ 0min.

Yeast Profile
2 pkgs. Wyeast #1010 American Wheat Ale
I forgot to mention that I added 6lbs of Wheat DME.

Call it a “Whepeat.” Seriously, peated malt isn’t really a standard ingredient in most any style. If you entered it in a competition it would probably be a “specialty smoked beer.” It doesn’t sound too appealing to me, but it’s your beer. Call it what you like!

Definitely not a Hefeweizen, as others have said it would most likely be a speciality smoked beer where the base beer would, in a comp, be declared an American Wheat. The yeast alone keeps it from being a Hefeweizen even if you did not add peat.

The yeast alone keeps it from being a Hefeweizen
Is this because it's profile says "Ideal for beers where low ester profile is desirable." And Weissbier is supposed to have fruity esters?

Or is there more to it than that?

Is this because it's profile says "Ideal for beers where low ester profile is desirable." And Weissbier is supposed to have fruity esters?

Or is there more to it than that?

Correct. An American Wheat yeast will not give you the clove and banana esters that are classic in a Weissbier.

Back