What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled SWMBO's Viognier. Racked the mead onto K-Meta and K-Sorbate for aging. Moved the latest PA to keg for dry-hopping. Decided to check on the Winter Spice Ale that tasted like a$$ at Christmas (it was young). I wanted to either keep it or dump it; and apparently it tasted good now (according to people who like that sort of thing), so I put it back on gas so it can carb and get in bottles next week. Cleaned. Cleaned some more. Cleaned a little bit more. Oh yeah, I cleaned the whole brewery.
image1.jpeg

Got one of the new burners installed on the brewstand, that my former brewboss had built for me out of angle iron about 2.5 years ago. The original burners just weren't strong enough, but these (only one of which has been installed so far) are rated for 200,000IBU and heated up 3 gallons of dead cold water to strike temp in about 8 minutes. Still need to hit up the hardware store for some needle valves so I can run one tank off my splitter, but next weekend (going camping this weekend) it will be on like donkey kong. Cannot wait to put my camp stove away and brew on this baby. Gonna attach my pump to it via straps and not step on it anymore. 20200519_184245[1].jpg20200519_184238[1].jpg

I just ordered some more base malt, from More Beer, as local availability is dwindling.

60lb's, and 5 of crystal 40L......they say it won't be here untill the 3rd...and today i kegged up my experimental wheat beer...10 gallons, or 9...

only have about a gallon or so left in this keg, and one other of cider....figuring 4-5 days to ferment after the 4th....damn, better put this 10 gallons of apple juice in the fermenter now....

60lb's, and 5 of crystal 40L......they say it won't be here untill the 3rd...and today i kegged up my experimental wheat beer...10 gallons, or 9...

only have about a gallon or so left in this keg, and one other of cider....figuring 4-5 days to ferment after the 4th....damn, better put this 10 gallons of apple juice in the fermenter now....
I don’t have a lack of beer, but I see supply dwindling and prices rising so with this order and what I have on hand, I should be pretty good until the end of the year, many more if fall events end up canceled. :(

I just ordered some more base malt, from More Beer, as local availability is dwindling.

I ordered base malts from Morebeer yesterday, as well. Two-row, Pilsner and Munich. The projected delivery date is June 4. I have enough to brew a couple more batches so I don’t think the pipeline will go dry. Also ordered more Magnum and Willamette from YVH.

I don’t have a lack of beer, but I see supply dwindling and prices rising so with this order and what I have on hand, I should be pretty good until the end of the year, many more if fall events end up canceled. :(

welp, if that's the case...guess my return to 'buying' malt was short lived, exactly the reason i learned how to do it myself.....

Took a half day today and brewed for the first time on the new improved brew stand. Burners did great, and having the pump out of the way was awesome. Took about the same amount of time to get to strike temp as it did on the camp stove, so when it came time for boiling I thought I had a bit more time...nope, epic boilover! Had to ramp it down a bit but still managed a nice rolling boil. Next weekend gonna do two more so that new kegerator doesn't look so empty....
20200521_102003[1].jpg
20200521_123339[1].jpg
20200521_123319[1].jpg

I kegged a dark mild and spunded it. Also kegged a historic 1922 Camden S. My LHBS has plenty of grains for the apocalypse, and has been doing solid business as he is classified as "essential". One side effect of covid is there are brewers that haven't touched their rigs in years coming back to the fold, and a bunch of new brewers with time on their hands.

I have a stout ready to go. Also going to try biscuit as a base grain for an ordinary bitter just for fun.

Today I’ll make sure I got stuff cleaned and ready to brew a Belgian Golden Strong Ale tomorrow.
brewed a Bitter yesterday so doing a lot of temp watching today. I put carboys in a yeti cooler. It does well for my always small batches.

I ordered base malts from Morebeer yesterday, as well. Two-row, Pilsner and Munich. The projected delivery date is June 4. I have enough to brew a couple more batches so I don’t think the pipeline will go dry. Also ordered more Magnum and Willamette from YVH.
I think they are starting to speed back up I ordered and received within 5 days this week from them Came earlier than they said

I wanted to brew this weekend, however, it looks like there is no way the state is going to let us bring students on campus even to just pick up their diplomas. So tomorrow and Sunday I will be driving all over Los Angeles delivering paperwork and best wishes to my graduating seniors. I feel for their parents who don't get to see the diploma walk.

What'd I do for beer? I did buy a 60# Vittle Vault and a 55# bag of 2Row from my LHBS. But other than that, I'm just drinking home-brew and building recipes. It's all about my students this week.

The handles on my cooler mashtun broke off last year, so been dealing with it ever since. Been hemming and hawing about what to get next, but finally remembered I had an old cooler I wasn't using. So converted that today, and no leaks! Also checked out the keggle that was gifted to me by running some water through it, seems to be ok. Not often I'll be doing double batches, but glad to have the option.

Prepped for brewing tomorrow - first proper run of the new mill; hard to figure out the gap settings, so we'll see what the efficiency is.

Wow! Never seen Tabasco in a 1 gallon size.

Tabasco’s site is the only place I found it. I got hooked on the Habanero Tabasco when I was in Dallas. When I move to Arkansas, nobody here carried it. Gotta do what ya gotta do for a capsaicin fix.

BTW - They’ll even monogram the bottle! (For a fee.....)

https://countrystore.tabasco.com/products/tabasco-gallons
Edit: looks like my fathers day hint may have hit home...... time will tell.:mischievous:

Last edited:
Got home from camping about 40 minutes ago; after getting the car unloaded, dogs settled, and cats convinced we weren't dead and had left them forever, got a keg cleaned out and now chilling to keg the Bastard clone that's been crashing all weekend. Next the WF lager goes in the kegerator to start crashing with an eye to kegging on Tuesday. Oh and catching up on HBT, where we were no WIFI so I've been jonesing for three days. Got to visit Iron Horse Brewing in Ellensburg for a nice growler of fresh Irish Death to enjoy while in the cabin, need to try to clone that one again. And stopped at Bron Y Aur brewing in Naches for a few 32oz "crowler" cans as well. So I wasn't totally deprived all weekend. Other than that it was coors light, took forever to get tipsy on those....

Got home from camping about 40 minutes ago; after getting the car unloaded, dogs settled, and cats convinced we weren't dead and had left them forever, got a keg cleaned out and now chilling to keg the Bastard clone that's been crashing all weekend. Next the WF lager goes in the kegerator to start crashing with an eye to kegging on Tuesday. Oh and catching up on HBT, where we were no WIFI so I've been jonesing for three days. Got to visit Iron Horse Brewing in Ellensburg for a nice growler of fresh Irish Death to enjoy while in the cabin, need to try to clone that one again. And stopped at Bron Y Aur brewing in Naches for a few 32oz "crowler" cans as well. So I wasn't totally deprived all weekend. Other than that it was coors light, took forever to get tipsy on those....

Oh how I miss Irish Death, can't seem to get it here in NC. I need to find a good clone to try!

Undershot my water/didnt boil off enough, but I’ll still have beer. What I sampled I think will taste good, just less hoppy and not as strong. Got the fermenter on the porch keeping the temp up

fermenting already. Kveik might be my go to for everything but a bitter

Prepped for brewing tomorrow - first proper run of the new mill; hard to figure out the gap settings, so we'll see what the efficiency is.
Quoting myself to say efficiency was awesome - 81%. Looks like I know where to put it for regular malt; wheat/oat/rye malt setting TBD.

Brewed a light lager. Still having some slight volume and efficiency issues after thinking I was all dialed in. Dunno what I changed but last 3 brews have been lower than expected. This one I don’t mind as much since the FG will hopefully be quite low.
Bottled an ipa. Tasted great (Best ipa to date! Which trust me, is not saying much but woohoo!) despite the aforementioned issues, but had a string of issues with a clogged bottling wand and a blown seal on my ukeg. Ughhh.

Tapped the Bastard clone I kegged yesterday. I've done this one more than any other beer in my repertoire, and must say I've done a very good one this time. Needs a tad more carbonation to give it more head retention, but this one will sneak up and whonk me on the head if I'm not careful. First time in a long time there's no fusels at all, just a nice smooth dark tasting fully flavorful ale. I tweak the recipe a bit with some home-roasted crystal to give it a bit more roastiness than the original, but stick with the hop schedule of Chinook. First tasting of this one at kegging was a bit sweet (finished at 1.020 instead of the called-for 1.018) but now that it's carbed that sweetness has dissipated a bit, not to the detriment of the overall flavor. Look for some druk posts from me in about 2 hours.

Kicked a keg of PA-apparently we drank 5 gallons in about 2 weeks-and it wasn't the only beer we were drinking!

It was clogging a bit with the dry hops at the end, which I didn't think was going to happen with a beer float. So I am using one of those small wine filters at the end of the intake tube on the float to see if that makes a difference for next time. Hoping that doesn't just clog up with dry hops.

Spent some time working with a water calculator because I want to make better beer, mostly to find out how much of various chemicals I should add to lower the pH of the mash and sparge. Not sure if I understand it yet, but I am looking forward to giving it a try.

Back