What do you do for a living?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a Math teacher.(<--nerd)

I think I'm going back to school for that.

Currently I am a Front Desk Clerk at a Holiday Inn Express, IT SUCKS! I have my teaching license in NC and IL for Social Studies but can't find a job for $**T.

Should have majored in something else.

I notice a lot of people on this forum are into the DIY ethic. Many of us appear to have even above par construction skills. It got me thinking about how many of us are actually in trades that would generally benefit our beloved hobby of homebrewing.

My job has no benefit whatsoever. I'm a professional musician. I teach guitar, bass and piano, as well as I am a gigging bassist for a significant portion of my income. Not really helpful in homebrewing, but I do get a lot of free beer to sample!

So what do you do??? Do you find your work skills transfer over to help your brewing?

EDIT: add your website if you are a professional for hire. Might make a few connections! Here is a link to one of my more actively gigging groups.

I'm in I.T.

I learned quite a few years ago that I get satisfaction from making things, tangible things, myself from scratch. Thus the homebrewing. I also build electric guitars. http://www.dracoguitars.com

I have been a Mechanic since 1991, did a long stint in high performance track car building. I guess having some fabrication and a lot of troubleshooting skills help out in DIY projects as well as smoothing out brewing and kegging in general.

I do a fair bit of sidework, turbo motor builds, ect. if I am in your area just shoot me a PM with questions or quotes.

I'm a mechanical and materials engineer (although unemployed). All the DIY projects are hands on stuff I can never do in lame cubicle jobs. Anyone need an engineer in DC? Just putting it out there.

There is already one of these threads going but anyway i'm in sales. And that helps out with this hobby more than any other possible profession. I am really good at convincing my wife that I need more stuff.

I'm a mechanical and materials engineer (although unemployed). All the DIY projects are hands on stuff I can never do in lame cubicle jobs. Anyone need an engineer in DC? Just putting it out there.

That sucks man, a buddy of mine is a laid off ME. I think he is going on 11 months now and can't find anything.

That one has been going for years and has tons of posts. I don't think it would hurt to start fresh again.

Payroll, data analysis, and basic IT with our software system. We have an internet based software package that deals with routing patients from dr. offices to hospitals. The data analysis helps me with beer because I'm pretty good at tracking number which helps with the quality control in brewing.

I'm in I.T.

I learned quite a few years ago that I get satisfaction from making things, tangible things, myself from scratch. Thus the homebrewing.

This.

Pretty much nothing I do at work (IT) has any sort of tangible product. Building things at home and seeing the outcome kind of ... I dunno, balances me.

This.

Pretty much nothing I do at work (IT) has any sort of tangible product. Building things at home and seeing the outcome kind of ... I dunno, balances me.

Exactly. Keeps me happy at work and happy outside work. Plus, then I have beer. Win-win-win. :mug:

I am a student for the next 3 weeks. After that I am unemployed and looking for a position in a brewery. Unfortunately, the brewing industry might be one of the hardest to crack into.

I am in school right now, working towards my Gas Tech 3 ticket. We are also covering HVAC, plumbing and welding, though not in great depth.

Before this, I was working in the automotive and heavy equipment manufacturing sectors, doing tooling and part design, paint line management, waste water treatment, thermal and chemical paint removal and a slew of other things that were tossed my way.

I am in school right now, working towards my Gas Tech 3 ticket. We are also covering HVAC, plumbing and welding, though not in great depth.

Before this, I was working in the automotive and heavy equipment manufacturing sectors, doing tooling and part design, paint line management, waste water treatment, thermal and chemical paint removal and a slew of other things that were tossed my way.

Hey, that welding skill might very well come in handy.

That sucks man, a buddy of mine is a laid off ME. I think he is going on 11 months now and can't find anything.

Agreed. Educational institutions are lamenting about how much engineers are in demand... yet all I hear about is how engineers can't get jobs. Well **** me, I picked the wrong industry to study.

I'm an Ocean Engineering student for the next 2-3 years ( a graduate degree will be completed before I'm done ) Fortunately I'm in such a limited (yet expanding!) industry that I'm basically 100% guaranteed a job when I graduate.... Navy if I need to, they want us bad from what I hear.

Agreed. Educational institutions are lamenting about how much engineers are in demand... yet all I hear about is how engineers can't get jobs. Well **** me, I picked the wrong industry to study.

I'm an Ocean Engineering student for the next 2-3 years ( a graduate degree will be completed before I'm done ) Fortunately I'm in such a limited (yet expanding!) industry that I'm basically 100% guaranteed a job when I graduate.... Navy if I need to, they want us bad from what I hear.

USF has a great Marine Science Center down here in St. Petersburg. You ought to take a look (graduate studies or job).

I'm a self employed gardener/landscaper/handyman in a very rural part of California. I got off early today (rain) and wort is boiling in my garage as I type.

Prepress Technician and general Printing nerd. I actually work in the prepress department of a company that prints paperboard packaging/folding cartons.

working on my Ph.D. in horticulture (turfgrass science), got 2 years left (hopefully). was a professional turf manager for about 6 years prior, that's where i learned to do a bunch of stuff myself...

Been a welder for 20 years. Six in structural. Ten as a pipe welder. Four in aerospace.
Can't believe I still like what I'm doing after all these years.

I'm a newspaper photojournalist. I shoot news, sports, features, food illustrations, portraits,fashion, and pretty much anything else you would see in print.

03.jpg

2 years left (out of seven total, including the M.A.) for my Ph.D. in theology. Not ordained, unlike some of our well-known pastors here, but working my butt off to get a good professorial gig (which has been my goal all along).

A huge underscore, then, to the "brewing gives me something tangible" crowd. I genuinely love what I do, but brewing satisfies the need to do something concrete. Also, it makes beer.

Latest posts

Back