What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'm over here like check out this popcorn I made...
IMG_20200209_162228.jpg

Rancho Gordo? Is that some sort of meal-by-mail service?

What he ^ said...pretty reasonably priced, too, but you have to have a hell of a lot of interest in beans. We have probably 15 different varieties now, and we have only got the same type once (Midnight black beans). Anyways, if you like beans you will enjoy the Rancho : )

Back when we ate beans :) I LOVED Rancho Gordo's offerings. Their borlotti (cranberry) beans are unequaled IMHO and everything I ever got from them was excellent. The beans are VERY CLEAN when you get them too - never found a rock or dirty clump in any of them and few broken beans either. They're more expensive than your average supermarket bean but SO worth it!

A little sad that we don't eat them now but that's life! Keto prevails!

Back when we ate beans :) I LOVED Rancho Gordo's offerings. Their borlotti (cranberry) beans are unequaled IMHO and everything I ever got from them was excellent. The beans are VERY CLEAN when you get them too - never found a rock or dirty clump in any of them and few broken beans either. They're more expensive than your average supermarket bean but SO worth it!

I used some of those cranberry beans in my chili recently .. the cow looking ones are good, too, as are the big white beast...those are my fave so far.

Okay, you follks have flung a Rancho Gordo craving on me. Now have 2 of the domingo rojo bags, 1 vaquero, 2 midnight black, and 1 cranberry on the way, along with a bottle of their hot sauce. They don't have the hominy I used to get for Pozole anymore, but I still have one bag left.

P.S. Went back and looked again, and they do still have the White Corne Hominy!

Last edited:

Yah. I miss beans more than bread now. I’d absolutely be ordering from these guys if I was on any other diet.

OoOOooOooOOoOo, I dunno
I actually found the answer on their FAQ. Great that they don't radiate their beans like some in the grocery.
Can I plant the beans you sell?
You can and we’re always flattered when people do. We know of one commercial farmer that actually built his seed stock from our retail bags! It’s best to plant the beans as soon as your soil is warm, after your last frost.

Please note: we sell the beans as food, and while you can plant them and have great success in the garden, we make no guarantees about germination and we can’t offer any support in growing them. We just don’t have the manpower, and the requirements vary by region. Your best bet is to contact your local Master Gardeners association. We also have a Google Group called Bean Buddies where members can ask and answer questions about growing. Membership is free, and each spring we send beans to members interested in trying them out in their gardens.

I bet if you plant them next to other plants in your garden, you may have some luck. In fact, I may pull one or two of the corona beans now and get them in between paper towels in the window sill...perhaps I'm still a few weeks too early (it's not frosting here, but it's not staying regularly warm either).

Yah. I miss beans more than bread now. I’d absolutely be ordering from these guys if I was on any other diet.

The vast majority of beans are complex carbs and super low GI. High fiber which does not translate into carbs your body absorbs. Cranberry bean has about the highest sugar content. When you see carbs listed in nutrition guides, most dont take any of that into account.

Im hooked on Canary beans aka Mexican yellow beans, Mayocoba or Peruano beans. They are very buttery in flavor and make killer refried beans too. 15g of the 35gr of carbs are fiber in a 55gram serving. 12grams are protein. 3 grams of sugar.

The vast majority of beans are complex carbs and super low GI. High fiber which does not translate into carbs your body absorbs. Cranberry bean has about the highest sugar content. When you see carbs listed in nutrition guides, most dont take any of that into account.

Im hooked on Canary beans aka Mexican yellow beans, Mayocoba or Peruano beans. They are very buttery in flavor and make killer refried beans too. 15g of the 35gr of carbs are fiber in a 55gram serving. 12grams are protein. 3 grams of sugar.

While I agree with your first paragraph, and also take into account the fact that cooked and cooled beans develop resistant starch which is even less digestible than the straight fiber, I have to listen to what my body tells me after I eat them and it basically says, "NOPE! Don't DO that again!" LOL! I can eat a quarter cup or so and be OK but who the heck wants to stop there? So - I just don't. They are just not a good keto food in this ol' body!

Had everything to make pizza except dough.

Problem solved, make my own (courtesy of the Mrs.
One pizzaand 2 calzones. Not the best, but I don't expect perfection on a 1st try. Crust was a little crumbly for the pizza but fluffy for the calzone.
20200212_180730.jpg
20200212_180735.jpg

View attachment 666313
Just some split pea soup with ham, and garlic naan.
When I was a kid my mom made a batch of split pea soup. I didn't like peas so I refused to eat the soup. Some time later she made it again but called it ham bone soup. I had two bowls. Kids can be so fickle.

When I was a kid my mom made a batch of split pea soup. I didn't like peas so I refused to eat the soup. Some time later she made it again but called it ham bone soup. I had two bowls. Kids can be so fickle.
Well, it doesn’t really look appetizing, so who could blame a kid for being turned off? Not to mention how many films and shows use it for a vomit prop.

I still don't care for peas or split pea soup - ham bone or not.

Ironically though, I love lentils. I'll bet I could season split pea like my lentils and I would like it, but I would have to buy split peas first.

My youngest would freak out if we put 'hot sauce' on her tacos so I started calling the La Victoria Mild Sauce 'Mexican ketchup', and she was fine with that. :p

I grew up with this gruesome-looking soup. Loved it then and still do. I like to top with loads of cracked pepper.
^This^ My grandmother got me hooked on it. A bowl of split pea and big wedge of her cornbread so good.

My daughter wasn’t a fan of spinach, but didn’t have a problem eating the “dark green lettuce” in her salads. :D

Fun fact - the "vomit" in the movie The Exorcist was pea soup provided by Anderson's which is famous for their pea soup, and is just a few mile down the road from me. I've never tried theirs though.
Fun fact: I stopped by the gas station next to Anderson's last weekend as I was passing through. No Pee soup for me, bleh.

Fun fact - the "vomit" in the movie The Exorcist was pea soup provided by Anderson's which is famous for their pea soup, and is just a few mile down the road from me. I've never tried theirs though.

I grew up on Hwy 246 about 12 miles from Buellton. I think I might have been inside, but don’t remember. Great weather in that area. We used to go to Solvang to girl watch. Ha, that was a looong time ago.

Fun fact: I stopped by the gas station next to Anderson's last weekend as I was passing through. No Pee soup for me, bleh.

I grew up on Hwy 246 about 12 miles from Buellton. I think I might have been inside, but don’t remember. Great weather in that area. We used to go to Solvang to girl watch. Ha, that was a looong time ago.

I was a little confused because I thought they closed. I had no idea they had other locations....
https://www.yelp.com/biz/pea-soup-andersens-selma

Been there, done that...I'd rather have someone's gramma

Back