What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night's rack of lamb dinner - with baby Swiss chard and sweet potato wedges. THOUGHT it was Easter, hence the lamb - dang it, guess we have to have rack of lamb again THIS Sunday when it's REALLY Easter! LOL!
lamb dinner.jpg

I had rack of lamb yesterday as well, but out at a steakhouse. Yours looks delicious.
Last night's rack of lamb dinner - with baby Swiss chard and sweet potato wedges. THOUGHT it was Easter, hence the lamb - dang it, guess we have to have rack of lamb again THIS Sunday when it's REALLY Easter! LOL!View attachment 622266

Roasted Marinated Sweet Onions

Man, these are to die for. Red wine vinegar, brown sugar butter, lots of rosemary. Somebody else make them. You need to marinate overnight, but otherwise it's about 5 minutes of prep, overnight marinating, 1 hour in oven. https://keviniscooking.com/roasted-onions/

upload_2019-4-16_18-18-31.png

upload_2019-4-16_18-20-0.png

Roasted Marinated Sweet Onions

Man, these are to die for. Red wine vinegar, brown sugar butter, lots of rosemary. Somebody else make them. You need to marinate overnight, but otherwise it's about 5 minutes of prep, overnight marinating, 1 hour in oven. https://keviniscooking.com/roasted-onions/

Those look excellent! Sadly I'm sure they are FAR from being within my daily carb allotment! I can almost smell them though....

Great white northern and canary bean chili. I used some turkey necks for the stock and leftover rotisserie chicken leg quarters.

It looks so innocent and mild.
7Gg0xOY.jpg

Then you bowl it and it just screams to be eaten. I wont hurt you a bit. You can trust me.
whf2rAW.jpg

So you dress that sucker up with a little cheese, cheeps and homemade ghost sauce and BAM.....Yeah, you get the picture.
XeVxXDA.jpg

Great white northern and canary bean chili. I used some turkey necks for the stock and leftover rotisserie chicken leg quarters.

It looks so innocent and mild.
7Gg0xOY.jpg

Then you bowl it and it just screams to be eaten. I wont hurt you a bit. You can trust me.
whf2rAW.jpg

So you dress that sucker up with a little cheese, cheeps and homemade ghost sauce and BAM.....Yeah, you get the picture.
XeVxXDA.jpg
She dresses up real nice.

436655cb9f0ed5134c.jpg

First time ever trying my hand at Chinese(ish) food. Pork marinated in soy-mirin-garlic marinade for four days, carrots cucumber orange paprika and yellow&spring onions wokked with fried rice.
436655cb9f0ed5cc2c.jpg

My wife hates Chinese and both my kids hate anything new or weird, specially anything "slimy" so was fully prepared to eat this alone for days, ended up having to hold my own to get ANY :D
Future notes, less yellow onion, more spring onion, cut carrot slimmer, don't wok the cucumber, more mirin, and FFS get a wok pan :D ended up making a biblical mess on the stovetop!

One of the "tricks" the Chinese use when doing pork like that is .....cornstarch. You mix it with the marinating meat a few minutes before cooking it. Then stir fry in a really freaking hot wok.

Mirin works for some stuff especially Korean dishes with pork. For Chinese its hard to beat good Chinese cooking wine. If the marinade calls for both sugar and rice wine....Yeah mirin will work. I get Lotte brand from Korea...its over 14% ABV. Pretty good and cheap.

Last edited:
I use mirin all the time for pork and kimchi stirfry. Havent had a complaint yet. :D It needs some sweetness to balance out the kimchi. Probably fine for just sweet and spicy too.

The really freaking hot wok is the hard part in a home kitchen. Rather challenging to master also.

436655cb9f0ed5134c.jpg

First time ever trying my hand at Chinese(ish) food. Pork marinated in soy-mirin-garlic marinade for four days, carrots cucumber orange paprika and yellow&spring onions wokked with fried rice.
436655cb9f0ed5cc2c.jpg

My wife hates Chinese and both my kids hate anything new or weird, specially anything "slimy" so was fully prepared to eat this alone for days, ended up having to hold my own to get ANY :D
Future notes, less yellow onion, more spring onion, cut carrot slimmer, don't wok the cucumber, more mirin, and FFS get a wok pan :D ended up making a biblical mess on the stovetop!

My second wife was Chinese and her mother and I use to cook together a lot. She taught me several dishes that were passed down through her family. Get a wok and remember " hot wok, cold oil, food no stick". Also, as food is done move it to the outside of the wok. I rode a Harley until a SUV ran over me back in 2011. Ride safe brother.

Heh yea went to a local hardware store to get a wok pan, saw the selection and went yeeeeea not gonna pay 50+eur for THAT... Got a gas "paella burner" for beer brewing so could use that for heat too. As said first try so didn't expect a total success but quite edible still. 900 Benelli Tornado TRE here, one of three in the country. Hope you've recovered fully, gotta watch dem SUV:s, stay out of the blind spots and always ride like you're invisible. Been a transport entrepreneur for the past ten years so basically live on the road if I'm not in the garage brewing or wrenching. Ok back to food stuff now.

Heh yea went to a local hardware store to get a wok pan, saw the selection and went yeeeeea not gonna pay 50+eur for THAT... Got a gas "paella burner" for beer brewing so could use that for heat too. As said first try so didn't expect a total success but quite edible still. 900 Benelli Tornado TRE here, one of three in the country. Hope you've recovered fully, gotta watch dem SUV:s, stay out of the blind spots and always ride like you're invisible. Been a transport entrepreneur for the past ten years so basically live on the road if I'm not in the garage brewing or wrenching. Ok back to food stuff now.

I got this one on Amazon about 2 years ago, love it - AND just found out it works great on my induction burner, which gets it pretty damn hot!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3NMC74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the bacon picture, and the everything in the pool picture before it went in the oven to braise a couple of hours ago. For such a simple recipe the braise just smells phenomenal! It’s the browned short ribs, crisped bacon, sautéed mirepoix with garlic, a little tomato paste, and some rosemary. But OMG it smells amazing!
IMG_2050.JPG
IMG_2051.JPG
IMG_2053.JPG

Back