What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slow cooker pork, Potato pancke waffles, shaved brussel sprouts with some pancetta and lemon.

The waffles were just a regular potato latke recipe but put into a waffle maker. I appropriated the idea from someone here, so you get props. I just could not go back far enough to figure out who first gave me the idea. My waffle iron has a shut off feature so they were not cooked enough. I would cook them more next time. Maybe even put them in a toaster oven to crisp them up more. Maybe even put less oin the waffle maker so they were not so compressed. Good idea but needs refinement.

image.jpg

Please send me that right away! :)

Or maybe at least the recipe?

Making me drooooool copiously.

Couldn't be easier to make. That is 1 pound of crimini mushrooms, 1 medium white onion halved and sliced thin, 3 chipotles in adobo finely chopped plus several tablespoons of the adobo sauce, salt and pepper all cooked together until most of the water is evaporated from the myshrooms. Added 4 of my relatively large handfuls of queso chihuahua to the pan stirred to combine then popped in to a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. We serve on corn tortillas. So simple and so delicious.

Edit: i firmly believe that mushrooms should always be cooked with tyme so I added a teaspoon-ish of fresh tyme.

Here's a finished and cut pasty from last night... I think I did okay. Also, had way too much root veggies prepped, so I threw some into the slow cooker on low, with some celery, some cannedRoma tomatoes, a handful of green lentils, a little dried oregano, salt, pepper, and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Looks good...We'll see how it tastes tomorrow.

IMG_20160129_164546516.jpg

IMG_20160130_220355063.jpg

Yeah. I grow a lot of peppers every year. Sometimes they are tame, some times they blow the top,of your head off. If you place a jalapeno plant next to a habanero plant they will cross polinate and you will get very hot jalapenos. Ask me how I know this.

I have a friend from Trinidad and she always tells me to let the plants almost dry out between watering to get the hottest peppers. It seems to work, there's a noticeable difference when I use the ones from the well watered plant as the one that's been borderline neglected.

She says this happens naturally when they have a really dry spell at home and the crop is usually smaller but way more intense.

Couldn't be easier to make. That is 1 pound of crimini mushrooms, 1 medium white onion halved and sliced thin, 3 chipotles in adobo finely chopped plus several tablespoons of the adobo sauce, salt and pepper all cooked together until most of the water is evaporated from the myshrooms. Added 4 of my relatively large handfuls of queso chihuahua to the pan stirred to combine then popped in to a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. We serve on corn tortillas. So simple and so delicious.

Edit: i firmly believe that mushrooms should always be cooked with tyme so I added a teaspoon-ish of fresh tyme.

Thanks for that! I have definitely got to give this a try!

I Googled it also, and Skip Bayless agrees that thyme should be added :) Though he uses red onion and mozzarella. Queso Chihuahua or Queso Quesillo seem like a better fit to me! This really looks amazing! :mug:

I got started early yesterday morning with a basic marinara sauce. Rendered and browned a big chunk of pancetta, the sauted onions and garlic with it. Finally ran two cans of San Marzano whole plum tomatoes through the food mill, added them on 1 can of water, then let it simmer and reduce for about 3 hours.

Marinara pancetta onion garlic base.jpg

Marinara finished.jpg

I needed the marinara to make Wicked Chicken Riggies! The is a restaurant in Syracuse called Pastabilities that was featured on DDD, and this is their recipe for the most part. They call for your favorite tomato sauce, but I chose to make my marinara for it.
You start by sautéing red onion, garlic, basil, oregano, cayenne, and crushed red pepper together. While that is going you begin the chemical warfare part of the recipe by blending together chipotle's in adobo, chili oil, and a bunch of serrano chilies. You add three colors of bell peppers and the chili sauce and sauté a bit longer, then add in the marinara. All that simmers a bit, then you add a bunch of heavy cream and a bunch of Pecorino Romano and mix. Brown some chicken breasts cut into strips, boil some rigatoni, mix it all together, and garnish with more cheese! It's really hot, but it's a wonderful hot, and the cream and cheese tone it down a bit.

Wicked Chicken Riggies veg base.jpg

Wicked Chicken Riggies hot sauce.jpg

Wicked Chicken Riggies pre cream and cheese.jpg

Wicked Chicken Riggies Sauce.jpg

Wicked Chicken Riggies Served.jpg

Thanks for that! I have definitely got to give this a try!

I Googled it also, and Skip Bayless agrees that thyme should be added :) Though he uses red onion and mozzarella. Queso Chihuahua or Queso Quesillo seem like a better fit to me! This really looks amazing! :mug:

I would think monteray jack would be closer to the melting cheeses of Mexico than mozzarella. I like Rick Bayless I was able to eat at 2 of his spots in Chicago a couple years ago and loved it.

THANK YOU! :rockin: Sounds excellent. Gotta try it!

So Boy Scout winter camp is coming up in a few weeks and my son is in charge of menu planning and prep (to fulfill rank requirements). Saturday night dinner will be chili. Today we made the chili recipe today to see if it's any good and verify how Mitch a batch makes. Haven't sampled yet, but smells great. Felt weird following a recipe though! :)
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454270179.141860.jpg

Tough/rubbery/dry? That's the only way I can think of to make bad scrambled eggs - overcooking them.

I am not a fan of "wet" scrambled eggs, but I learned early on about carry-over cooking due to my attempts at scrambleds.

:)

Got a nice bone-in pork shoulder picnic the other day, it was .89/pound and then it had a 50% off sticker! So, .45/pound for it.

Cut the skin off (gonna try chicharrones, anybody got tried 'n true recipe for me?) and then cut all the meat off the bone, cut into pieces to fit the grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid mixer. Ground it all up. Got exactly 5 pounds of meat.

Made 3 pounds of hot Italian sausage and 2 pounds Mexican chorizo. Packed it up in 1 pound packs. Nothing much to look at - seasoned ground meat! But, can't wait to try it - both were new recipes to me.

MMMMMMM ground meat.

I got a nice meat grinder when I cleaned out my parents house. I have not used it yet but soon.

Got a nice bone-in pork shoulder picnic the other day, it was .89/pound and then it had a 50% off sticker! So, .45/pound for it.

Cut the skin off (gonna try chicharrones, anybody got tried 'n true recipe for me?) and then cut all the meat off the bone, cut into pieces to fit the grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid mixer. Ground it all up. Got exactly 5 pounds of meat.

Made 3 pounds of hot Italian sausage and 2 pounds Mexican chorizo. Packed it up in 1 pound packs. Nothing much to look at - seasoned ground meat! But, can't wait to try it - both were new recipes to me.

I love pork skins...no carbs! Great for when you want crunchy snack, without the carbs. The recipes I've seen for making them involve boiling the crap out of them for a couple hours and the dehydrating them. After that, deep fry and *poof* ...porky, crunchy, airy goodness!

I'm the only one that's wondering why the onions weren't caramelized for that French Onion Soup?

:eek:

@mattmmille I've seen that method too. Seems like SO much work though. I'm gonna try it another way I saw - cut into 2" strips, score fat every 2", use a very sharp knife to remove the excess fat, cut strips into 2" squares, put fat-side down on rack over a pan and into a 250* oven for 3 hours then fry to puff them up.

I am gonna try it this week sometime!

Best pork skins I ever had were at Publican in Chicago....

Pork restaurant that I could have made a meal of their pork skins.....

Latest posts

Back