What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image_zpspch0blbg.jpg

Italian sausage and roasted red pepper ragu, rigatoni, parmesan and basil. :mug:

Winter staple in our house: sweet potato soup. Super easy too.

Onions, celery, and carrots thrown in a dutch oven with some olive oil, cooked until they start to sweat (or longer, whatever). Add in your sweet potatoes and cook them for a few minutes too. Add some cinnamon, nutmeg, and a chipoltle pepper or two. Cover with chicken broth.

Simmer until everything is cooked through, then hit it with an immersion blender. Velvety smooth, super tasty, stupid simple to put together, surprisingly filling, and pretty good for you.

Followed your directions and made this tonight. Big hit with herself. I did take the liberty of starting things off with a few Italian sausages in the pot. Took them out after browning and added them back at the end. Not ready to be a vegan.

Damn!!! That just looks fantastic. I want to know what all is in there and how you prepared it please!!

Thanks! I start off with a small white onion and two red chillies, both finely chopped. Add a tsp of red pepper paste about a teaspoon of smoked paprika and some EV olive oil and fry until onion is translucent. Add chopped chicken breast and two tbsp of dried Herbs de Provence along with a crushed garlic clove.

Add some Spanish cooking chorizo sausage chopped into slices and a can of chopped tomatoes. Slowly stir in 600ml of mushroom stock and about 250ml of Chianti (home brewed of course [emoji12]). Add 4 or 5 chopped chestnut mushrooms, a sliced bell pepper and a tsp of cocoa powder.

Add the orzo (or mini pasta stars in this case) and simmer until pasta is al dente and liquid absorbed. Season to taste and enjoy!

Try pit bbq'd duck or goose on a rotisserie. That's one of the things pop did that wanted me to learn low-n-slow to begin with. No time for pics, but I made hot biscuits, with poor man's gravy & chopped bacon in it. And more taters with that buttery, parsley'd gravy on'em.

Taco...............................................................................................................................................................................................................:rockin:

Just finished a leftover supper. Mustard baked brisket on lightly toasted ciabatta buns. Leftover diced and boiled skin on russet potatoes pan browned. Brussels sprouts packaged in 2013, tiny and tender served with pepper and butter.

View attachment 330534 tonights was roast duck breast on cheats cassoulet with parmentier potato and roast butternut squash, red onion and yellow peppers. We love duck in this house- maybe one day I can shoot my own.

Cheat cassoulet?

Wow. Everything looks good! Wish I could like posts from the phone app. I had a taco craving today so am simmering taco meat.
View attachment 330583

That is a whole lotta taco meat!

Mashed cauliflower, grilled asparagus and Italian sausage rope.

Clean out the freezer and fridge. No pics, not time!

Tuscan Stew - bacon (in lieu of pancetta,) cannellinni beans, chicken broth, kale, carrots, celery. The onion, (lots of) garlic, bay and rosemary are homegrown...the kicker was a piece of parmigiano reggiano "rind", saved for just this purpose. Fresh wheat baguette. HWMO declared it a success. One of those cold days, perfect for soup and bread to warm the house and make it smell heavenly.
Edit - and diced tomatoes

stew and bread.jpg

2 Boston Butts in the fridge already rubbed in the fridge waiting on the smoker for the AM... This smoker the wife bought me is getting the deserved use it demands. Pics manana

Cheat cassoulet?

It's a quick and dirty version rather than the traditional method which takes a fair bit of time. In a pan I fry some bacon lardons until they start to crisp up, add about a spoonful of minced garlic, 1/2 a glass of dry white wine, a can of mixed beans (drained) and some chopped parsley and thyme with a pinch of onion powder. At this point I usually add in some good Toulouse style pork sausage but didn't have any last night then about 500 ml of vegetable stock and simmer for 10 mins until the beans soften. Right at the end stir in the roasting juices from the meat and bring to a rapid boil to thicken the sauce.

It's ideal if I've not had time to plan in advance and do it the "proper way " and is almost as good as the slow cooked method IMO.

Tuscan Stew - bacon (in lieu of pancetta,) cannellinni beans, chicken broth, kale, carrots, celery. The onion, (lots of) garlic, bay and rosemary are homegrown...the kicker was a piece of parmigiano reggiano "rind", saved for just this purpose. Fresh wheat baguette. HWMO declared it a success. One of those cold days, perfect for soup and bread to warm the house and make it smell heavenly.

I'm so going to try that. I love kale and that looks hearty!

I'm so going to try that. I love kale and that looks hearty!

Oh I forgot to mention the tomato - just a cup or so of diced tomatoes (also home grown and frozen!) This was a half sized batch (2 cans of beans) but next time will probably make a full sized batch.

It was hearty, house still smells nice, if you like the smell of garlic in the morning.:D

It's a quick and dirty version rather than the traditional method which takes a fair bit of time. In a pan I fry some bacon lardons until they start to crisp up, add about a spoonful of minced garlic, 1/2 a glass of dry white wine, a can of mixed beans (drained) and some chopped parsley and thyme with a pinch of onion powder. At this point I usually add in some good Toulouse style pork sausage but didn't have any last night then about 500 ml of vegetable stock and simmer for 10 mins until the beans soften. Right at the end stir in the roasting juices from the meat and bring to a rapid boil to thicken the sauce.

It's ideal if I've not had time to plan in advance and do it the "proper way " and is almost as good as the slow cooked method IMO.

Thanks. On the short list!

Let's see- grilled redfish, shrimp paesano, lobster (well, I didn't- @melana did), blue crab, fried oysters, grilled oysters, fried black drum, grilled bacon wrapped venison backstraps, mango salsa, tortillas (for tacos), prickly pear margaritas, boudin and eggs, and I think that's it(?)

I didn't make it all, my husband did some of it.

It all turned out pretty good.

Let's see- grilled redfish, shrimp paesano, lobster (well, I didn't- @melana did), blue crab, fried oysters, grilled oysters, fried black drum, grilled bacon wrapped venison backstraps, mango salsa, tortillas (for tacos), prickly pear margaritas, boudin and eggs, and I think that's it(?)

I didn't make it all, my husband did some of it.

It all turned out pretty good.

And here I was, proud of what I cooked xP of course I only spent $2 on my meal, and have left overs (only 1 person). That sounds awesome though, I'm gonna start coming to your house for dinner haha

We were at -2 too :) -7 now, on the way to -15 maybe.

So it was pork loin chops, sauteed and then a little braised in the balsamic reduction pan sauce, with roasted Brussels sprouts and shallots (drizzled with the BRPS) and salad. HWMO also had some of the home made bread from last night. I'm trying to cut carbs because we are going to Hawaii in less than a month!

Didn't get a picture cause we were hungry!! Served with apple wine from earlier this year.

We were at -2 too :) -7 now, on the way to -15 maybe.

So it was pork loin chops, sauteed and then a little braised in the balsamic reduction pan sauce, with roasted Brussels sprouts and shallots (drizzled with the BRPS) and salad. HWMO also had some of the home made bread from last night. I'm trying to cut carbs because we are going to Hawaii in less than a month!

Didn't get a picture cause we were hungry!! Served with apple wine from earlier this year.

>.> it was 50°f out last night here. Georgia seems to forget it's winter sometimes. Though we may finally get in the teens over the next couple nights.

I'm probably going to make chili next weekend, if it's chilly out (no pun intended)

Made a one pot meal tonight, a stepped up chili-mac, seared and pressure cooked some short ribs.
Onion, garlic, three types of peppers,black beans,tomatoes, stock and cooked the macaroni in with everything else then cleaned out the cheese drawer of all the shorts.Fresh bread on the side.
Not all that pretty but tasty,View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453081330.117436.jpg

Back