What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMG_20161119_104942.jpg

Wife is having a hip replaced tomorrow morning. I'm doing some ribeyes, baked taters, and a spinach salad with a basalmic vinaigrette and toasted almonds, dried cherries, and goat cheese as a last meal before she has to fast until after the surgery.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479695217.893642.jpg

Took my family's tourtière (Quebec spiced meat pie) recipe to a new level this weekend. I bought a 1/2 Berkshire hog (before pork was a "white" meat) in the summer... so rendered the leaf lard for the pastry, roasted bones for pork stock and went 100% ground Berkshire pork to complete the trifecta.

Served up with some homemade sweet tomato/onion relish.

View attachment 377767

Took my family's tourtière (Quebec spiced meat pie) recipe to a new level this weekend. I bought a 1/2 Berkshire hog (before pork was a "white" meat) in the summer... so rendered the leaf lard for the pastry, roasted bones for pork stock and went 100% ground Berkshire pork to complete the trifecta.

My stomach growled reading this, ISO!;)

View attachment 377767

I never had a Tourtière until I met someone from Maine. It's a big thing up there during the holidays. I was never a fan of clove until I had her recipe. I guess the Montreal version has clove. The smell was so overwhelming when I first tried it I was very hesitant and smiled. Then I had it! I could have probably polished that thing off. Man I miss that recipe. Good comfort food.

Yep it's a holiday thing but also great winter comfort food any time. We do clove, cinnamon, summer savory and black pepper. All sorts of regional variations though. Lots of people use wild game too.

Looks good. Is the. Belly smoked?

Yes. This summer my butcher was able to get in some beautiful, local, fresh pork bellies. I brined one whole for a couple weeks, then smoked it over apple wood. I sliced it thick and froze it in small portions.

Mike

Got cold, so I made soup yesterday. Simple Cheesy potato soup. Finally got a decent blend of ingredients for potato soup.

I could have wanted broccoli in it, but alas, we had no broccoli.

Not really a healthy choice, according to the doctor.

It was the weekend of perpetually extended leftovers.

So SWMBO cooked a chunk of chuck roast with onions and garlic and taco spices for tasty shredded beef tacos. The next night there weren't enough leftovers for two dinners, so I sautéed a pound of shrimp n garlic and onions and taco spices so we each had one shredded beef and one shrimp taco. Next night I incorporated the leftover shrimp and tortillas into tortilla soup.

I'm living vicariously through all of you right now. I really haven't cooked AT ALL in 3.5 weeks. My Dad took a bad fall and at 91, couldn't recover - he passed away last Friday morning. Now comes the real turmoil, dealing with my stepMom who has dementia and her son who is - ummm - not my favorite person, and the trust, and all that fun stuff.

So please keep entertaining me with these lovely pictures of good things to eat!

I'm living vicariously through all of you right now. I really haven't cooked AT ALL in 3.5 weeks. My Dad took a bad fall and at 91, couldn't recover - he passed away last Friday morning. Now comes the real turmoil, dealing with my stepMom who has dementia and her son who is - ummm - not my favorite person, and the trust, and all that fun stuff.

So please keep entertaining me with these lovely pictures of good things to eat!

My condolences, always a little rougher when it's over the holidays, you're in my thoughts.

So sorry for your loss, and the things you anticipate being stressful probably will be, do take good care of you during this time. Be well.

Sorry for your loss.

Thoughts and prayers are with you. I just went through it in October with my dad at 90 so I really feel for you.

Sorry to hear about all that and for your loss. I hope there's is some good that will come from all of this.

Sucks. Hope you can still manage to enjoy the upcoming holidays in some way. The acute pain of your loss will hopefully heal quickly and leave just the good memories.

Aw shucks, I just had a similar situation with my grandma. It's hard, but try to take some time for yourself. Sorry for your loss.

I cooked a turkey last night for the first time, homemade cracker stuffing

View attachment 1479835413858.jpg

So sorry for your loss! My father in law had Alzheimer's, but we thought was in pretty good physical shape, considering. He collapsed and died November 1st. This is our first Thanksgiving without him...still taking time to process. My Father turns 90 in January and Mom is 85. Kind of on pins and needles all the time.We are thankful for their lives and what they have passed on to us.

Latest posts

Back