What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget a pic when it comes out!

Fresh out of the oven!

IMG_20150729_205122992.jpg

1438220186784-1116465147.jpg

Threw together a quick dinner tonight to start cleaning out the freezer. I found some fish and some brussel sprouts, so that's what happened for dinner.

Fish was baked with a sauce made from butter, garlic, green onion, lemon juice, and what I can only guess is the white wine equivalent of BMC.

Brussel sprouts were roasted with balsamic vinegar and some cherry tomatoes from the garden.

And some couscous because the plate didn't have enough hippie on it.

fish.jpg

Chef, recipe below. This is exactly what mine looked like, although the plate also had greek salad on it :rockin:
chicken-gyros-with-tzatziki3-alt-color+srgb..jpg

I wouldn't cut the dough into equal pieces like the recipe says. It's easier to roll into a sheet, cookie-cutter with a pan or other object, and re-press the scraps. Press as thin as you can, it will puff up quickly in the pan. Also, I had to add a lot more flour than recipe says. I know you're a bread guy and know this already, but for anyone else making these, don't take the dough out of the mixer if it's still sticky. It shouldn't be clinging to the bowl. I punched mine down twice BTW.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/09/gyros-chicken-souvlaki-tzatkiki-homemade-greek-flatbread/
View attachment 292685
Just wanted to say this recipe kicks the hell out of any other pita recipe I've tried. Thanks for sharing.

After trimming the pin oaks & cleaning the gardens, I used some of the dead pin oak in the pit with some fresh Hungarian sausage. The oak & the patina inside the pit makes for great flavor. They were juicy & popped when you bit into them.

Funny, I was trying to read the cake like an rebus. I couldn't quite figure it out.

Rebuses_2013_HR_Page_03-e1357232244670.jpg

First one here is clam cakes and chowder.

Anybody remember rebuses in beer bottle caps? Do they still do that?

Glad I'm not the only one who tried to read it that way. I don't feel quite as stupid now.
Regards, GF.

Well, I did not get a picture of a completed Gyro, and they were not around long enough anyway! What a fantastic recipe! The chicken marinade, pita, and Tzatzike are all just fantastic! I did divide the dough into 8 pieces and rolled them out individually which made for a fairly rustic look for the flat bread :)

I managed to get a picture before we dug in though. Thanks again for sharing the recipe. It's one I will be doing again and again!

Gyros.jpg

Old bananas turned into banana bread last night. Still can't figure out how to bake them so they are done in the center and not dry on the outside.

Also soaked beans last night and pulled a ham apart. Placed it all in the crock pot this morning. Hated to do it, but the ham was in the fridge too long and needs to get eaten. Nobody wants to eat it so I made beans. I'll be the only one eating it, but I'm resetting the clock on the ham, so to speak.

Old bananas turned into banana bread last night. Still can't figure out how to bake them so they are done in the center and not dry on the outside.

Instead of using a loaf pan, put the same dough in a muffin pan. You won't have any problem with wet centers from the banana.

Here's the recipe I use BTW (except use muffin pan). These muffins disappear quickly! I put crushed pecans in mine. And muffins only take 20-30 minutes.

Recipe: Greek Yogurt Banana Bread

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
  • 3/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • Cooking spray/oil

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease and lightly flour loaf pan.
  3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups.
  4. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, vanilla, honey, butter, eggs, bananas, yogurt, and walnuts (if desired) in a large bowl, mixing well.
  5. Pour batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Try adding some moisture to the oven. It should keep the moisture from the outsidecrust from drying out too much. I think that trick is used with cheesecakes and such.

Try adding some moisture to the oven. It should keep the moisture from the outsidecrust from drying out too much. I think that trick is used with cheesecakes and such.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that trick! Alton Brown taught me that years ago.

I guess I better buy some more bananas. I don't plan on eating much of this, but I'd like to make some to bring to work.

What temp are you baking your banana bread at? I use a healthy amount of banana in mine, bake it at 325° F for 75 minutes or so. Done in the middle, no dry anywhere.

I do my regular breads to an internal temp of 200F, would probably be a good temp to shoot for and not overcook the outside.
+1 on the moisture in the oven, I have a small cast iron skillet in the bottom of my oven, rusty as crap that I add water to.

Also soaked beans last night and pulled a ham apart. Placed it all in the crock pot this morning. Hated to do it, but the ham was in the fridge too long and needs to get eaten. Nobody wants to eat it so I made beans. I'll be the only one eating it, but I'm resetting the clock on the ham, so to speak.

Heh... Nothing wrong with that. $1.00 meal that lasts for a week.

Back