What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as obvious an answer as you might think... Chinese Tea Eggs are boiled and cracked and then brined in black tea, spices, and soy sauce for quite a while. When peeled, they have a spiderwebby look to them.

Actually, Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Uh, I think so, Brain, but this time, you wear the tutu.

Would it involve this style egg and pickled beets by dre?

Last edited:
I now have something to do with my garden's extra bounty of jalapenos (no tilda, on the laptop now).

If you have extra Asian peppers, you can always salt them. A salted hot pepper omelette is actually pretty darn good.

Wish we could grow peppers successfully here - we just don't get enough heat to make them grow well, have tried it several times now with lackluster results. Oh well, we can grow lots of zucchini, yella squash, and lettuce anyway! :)

125 pounds. As is just flip it every half hour or so. Went on a little late today at 6:45. Usually get started an hour earlier but we overslept.

Dry rubbed it charcoal with occasional wood additions if we have it on hand. Coals are around the edges of the cinder block 'pit' so more indirect.

This needs to be here as well. 8th annual pig roast is on. Pig is now over the coals.

That looks awesome! Makes the ribeyes I've got waiting for me look pretty lame by comparison; I'll grill 'em & eat 'em just the same though. Hope your feast is fun, tasty & memorable. I'll be drinking some of the rest of the Adroit Theory you sent whilst grilling this morning, only 15 more mins to go!
Have a great weekend! Regards, GF. :mug:

We're heading to our 40th class reunion at 7, so I'm hoping there's enough light for the powershot to shoot video. I'll see what's for eats then. Taking a mixed 12'r of my beers for afterwards, since I can't bring it in. Hope those two drink tickets net me some craft beers?!...

I use leftover dill pickle juice to pickle hard boiled eggs. I did it with pickled beets juice one time and the whites turned a beautiful purple! Anyway, if I have eggs that reach their expiration date, I boil 'em and toss 'em in the jar. They last pretty much indefinitely. The whites get a little denser, but the yolk stays just like it's fresh. Any time I make tuna salad or chicken salad...boom! Ready to go! Sometimes, they even satisfy a weird craving and go well with beer!

I've done many a dozen that way.

That looks awesome! Makes the ribeyes I've got waiting for me look pretty lame by comparison; I'll grill 'em & eat 'em just the same though. Hope your feast is fun, tasty & memorable. I'll be drinking some of the rest of the Adroit Theory you sent whilst grilling this morning, only 15 more mins to go!
Have a great weekend! Regards, GF. :mug:

Whilst eating a big freaking tomahawk ribeye this evening, I'll try to remember to dream of some pig ;-)

SWMBO brined the chickens and a pork loin for the smoker this afternoon. Getting ready for dinner tonight - green papaya salad, smoked chicken and the like.

I made a sugarfree black bean chocolate cake (with storebought Almond Joy icing!) and have ovenfried chicken baking while KOTC makes a garden-grown salad with Simpson green leaf lettuce, red onions from sets, burpless cucumber, cherry tomatoes - and not from the garden, marinated artichoke hearts, sprouted sunflower seeds, Kalamata olives, homemade Greek vinaigrette, and I'll have smoked bleu cheese on mine, he'll have shredded Mexican blend on his.

I had a bunch of greek yogurt left over, so I used it to make some banana bread muffins for my wife. Pics coming tomorrow. Making ranch dressing with the rest. I intended to make chicken gyros tonight with the yogurt, but we had leftovers instead.

I made a sugarfree black bean chocolate cake (with storebought Almond Joy icing!) and have ovenfried chicken baking while KOTC makes a garden-grown salad with Simpson green leaf lettuce, red onions from sets, burpless cucumber, cherry tomatoes - and not from the garden, marinated artichoke hearts, sprouted sunflower seeds, Kalamata olives, homemade Greek vinaigrette, and I'll have smoked bleu cheese on mine, he'll have shredded Mexican blend on his.

Sounds delicious, but you can't just post all of that but not post pics! :p

1ddfa24e-9256-471d-a3b9-323a47b9467c_zpsozzu6jrw.jpg

Seared sea scallops on a corn, tomato, and bacon relish, with a chive vinaigrette. :mug:

I dont blame you there. Hence why you never got a finished product picture of the pig on Saturday. Besides my phone was dead, I was half drunk or more, and hungry.

Was going to grill tonight, but the heat index is 107F so...no. No I won't be grilling in that.

So instead, I whipped up some poached eggs with some house cured Canadian bacon. No English muffins around and I haven't baked in a while (see heat index), so store bought bagged bread stepped in.

poached eggs.jpg

Was going to grill tonight, but the heat index is 107F so...no. No I won't be grilling in that.

So instead, I whipped up some poached eggs with some house cured Canadian bacon. No English muffins around and I haven't baked in a while (see heat index), so store bought bagged bread stepped in.

No shame there:D

It was actually pretty good. The filling was a little soft, but good flavor. Search Serbian Vegetarian cabbage rolls on Pinterest and recipe should come up.

IMG_20150721_190832665.jpg

Back