What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T-bone steak, eggplant, stuffed tomatoes & smoked peaches; all done on the grill. Forgot a shot of the steak & eggplant on the grill. I used this recipe for the tomatoes:
http://www.101cookingfortwo.com/grilled-stuffed-tomato-italian-style/

I tweaked the recipe a bit cuz I forgot to get the feta, so I used fontina. I also added a couple spoons of pesto, minced green onion & used sweet basil instead of genovese & a bit of olive oil. The peaches were hickory smoked, brushed with hazelnut oil & served up with crumbled blue cheese, chopped walnuts & drizzled with honey. I didn't get fancy with plating since it was just me, I was hungry & had consumed copious amounts of cider.
Regards, GF.

gpeaches1.jpg

tbonedinner1.jpg

gpeaches2.jpg

This thread gets exponentially better each time I come back.

I smoked a pork butt last week. I don't do it very often because it's just my wife and I, and the leftovers get really old really quick. We repurposed some for tacos earlier this week and it turned out great, but I also had a bunch of bell peppers that needed using.

So I stuffed one leftover inside of another leftover :p The filling was onion, jalapeno, tomatoes undercooked rice, pork, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, chipoltle powder and a bit of bread crumbs. Left out an egg because the mixture didn't really get a chance to cool. Topped off with a pat of cheddar cheese.

As you can see, some of them had better plans than remaining upright which made a mess of my oven, but also made this pic look more presentable...so at at least there's that

stuffed peppers.jpg

That looks great, but I don't understand the name. osso buco is named for the veal bone that it's made from.

Did I mention that salmon wrapped around a scallop is about as good as it gets for me? And rice makes it almost perfect. I prefer wild rice over all starches.

I got the recipe many years ago and the chef called it osso buco because it looks like osso bucco. Whatever yu call it , it is very tastey.

T-bone steak, eggplant, stuffed tomatoes & smoked peaches; all done on the grill. Forgot a shot of the steak & eggplant on the grill. I used this recipe for the tomatoes:
http://www.101cookingfortwo.com/grilled-stuffed-tomato-italian-style/

I tweaked the recipe a bit cuz I forgot to get the feta, so I used fontina. I also added a couple spoons of pesto, minced green onion & used sweet basil instead of genovese & a bit of olive oil. The peaches were hickory smoked, brushed with hazelnut oil & served up with crumbled blue cheese, chopped walnuts & drizzled with honey. I didn't get fancy with plating since it was just me, I was hungry & had consumed copious amounts of cider.
Regards, GF.

I was just thinking fontina cheese, with it's smooth creamy flavor would be great on the peaches. I gotta try these in the pit. I didn't get pics last night, but I made french bread pizzas in a bit different way I did when the older boys were little. I got laid off a lot, & bought day old Italian &/or French bread at the bakery section of the local groceries. Sauce, pepperoni, etc that was cheap & on sale. Some decent cheese for shredding. I cut the bread in 1" thick slices & line'em up on cookie sheets. Set oven to 375-400F. Spoon sauce onto the sliced bread & spread to cover. Then add pepperoni, mushrooms, whatever & cover with a goodly amount of cheese. Bake till the cheese melts & the bread crisps up. Airbake pans are better for these. Bakes in about 10 minutes or so. I used to be able to make some 3 dozen of these for 5-8 bucks back then. A little more now.
Walmart sells two loaves of day-old French or Italian bread for $1.50, 2 cans of cheap spaghetti sauce,cheese & whatever you want to top them with. 2 loaves of French bread easily makes 18 of them.

I smoked a pork butt last week. I don't do it very often because it's just my wife and I, and the leftovers get really old really quick. We repurposed some for tacos earlier this week and it turned out great, but I also had a bunch of bell peppers that needed using.

So I stuffed one leftover inside of another leftover :p The filling was onion, jalapeno, tomatoes undercooked rice, pork, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, chipoltle powder and a bit of bread crumbs. Left out an egg because the mixture didn't really get a chance to cool. Topped off with a pat of cheddar cheese.

As you can see, some of them had better plans than remaining upright which made a mess of my oven, but also made this pic look more presentable...so at at least there's that

Our fave pulled pork leftover is machaca - throw some bacon fat in a big skillet, sauté some onion in there til it's transulcent, throw in some peppers (a can of diced Ortegas works just fine if you don't have any fresh peppers), get those good and hot - now throw in a good fat handful of your pulled pork and fry til it's getting some browned crispy edges. Turn down the heat and add some lightly-beaten eggs, I always put a splash of half & half and a little cumin and oregano and garlic in them. Scramble til done to your liking, add some shredded cheddar, stir to incorporate, and eat with refried beans and tortillas of your choice.

I smoked a pork butt last week. I don't do it very often because it's just my wife and I, and the leftovers get really old really quick.

It freezes very well. I just portion it out and freeze it.. I just had some pulled pork that I smoked a few weeks ago for lunch today.. yum

Our fave pulled pork leftover is machaca - throw some bacon fat in a big skillet, sauté some onion in there til it's transulcent, throw in some peppers (a can of diced Ortegas works just fine if you don't have any fresh peppers), get those good and hot - now throw in a good fat handful of your pulled pork and fry til it's getting some browned crispy edges. Turn down the heat and add some lightly-beaten eggs, I always put a splash of half & half and a little cumin and oregano and garlic in them. Scramble til done to your liking, add some shredded cheddar, stir to incorporate, and eat with refried beans and tortillas of your choice.

I've got to try that! It sounds fantastic!

I'll second the freezing well and being that I have some in the freezer I thinks a bag comes out tonight as I had a stressful day and no thoughts of food have occurred, quick easy meal.

I was just thinking fontina cheese, with it's smooth creamy flavor would be great on the peaches. I gotta try these in the pit.

I'm still tweaking these, started with cherry wood for smoke, but I think hickory works best, adds a nice savoury twang without overpowering other flavors. Depending on your personal tastes, you could use walnut oil, sprinkle with sea salt, add crumbled bacon, serve with a little scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt, drizzle with a ginger glaze or caramel, sprinkle with cinnamon, I've even thought a very slight dusting with curry might work, but I haven't tried it yet.

I just give 'em some direct heat, flesh side down for a couple of minutes, then it's indirect & smoke for a few more minutes. I never actually timed it, but I'd guess, depending on your heat level (I use charcoal), 1 or 2 mins direct & about 5 or 8 mins indirect with smoke, peaches soak up the smoke really well. Be sure you brush both sides with oil before placing them on the grate & oil the grate. I think the fontina would be tasty, especially if you put it on while the fruit was still on the grill, getting nice & melty & then serving immediately.
Regards, GF.

Canister is great.Also the vacuum attachment that lets you vac seal mason jars is great for that . I can vac seal a half gallon jar.Works great.

All my cannisters (and I bought about a dozen) have developed cracks at the bottom where the dimple from manufacturing is, so none of them seal any more. Kind of ticks me off.

BUT, the marinator container I bought (square, heavy-duty) still works great, and I also have that jar sealer, use it for EVERYTHING. Have tons of mason jars of sealed yumminess in the fridge and the pantry, and yes, works great for a quick marinade too.

All my cannisters (and I bought about a dozen) have developed cracks at the bottom where the dimple from manufacturing is, so none of them seal any more. Kind of ticks me off.

BUT, the marinator container I bought (square, heavy-duty) still works great, and I also have that jar sealer, use it for EVERYTHING. Have tons of mason jars of sealed yumminess in the fridge and the pantry, and yes, works great for a quick marinade too.

Yeah...mine all cracked, too. And they were expensive! If I do need to not crush something or marinate something, I use wide mouth canning jars now and vac seal them.

Made some more of my Dad's recipe for yeast rolls last night. Met for lunch today and took him some...I think he was pretty excited about them, :)

I did some Indian last night. Vegetable curry in the dutch oven had (all roasted) butternut squash, sweet potato, white potato, cauliflower, and eggplant. I also threw in some ginger, garlic, carrots, a bell pepper, an onion, and some green beans just for fun.

Chicken Tikka Masala on the right. Tossed some thighs with turmeric, garam masala, curry and cumin before browning them. Then they got hit with some tomato paste and coconut milk (I managed to forget the crushed tomatoes :drunk:)

Served over rice.

All in all it wasn't bad, but I could have been more aggressive with seasoning.

stove.jpg

bowl.jpg

I did some Indian last night. Vegetable curry in the dutch oven had (all roasted) butternut squash, sweet potato, white potato, cauliflower, and eggplant. I also threw in some ginger, garlic, carrots, a bell pepper, an onion, and some green beans just for fun.

Chicken Tikka Masala on the right. Tossed some thighs with turmeric, garam masala, curry and cumin before browning them. Then they got hit with some tomato paste and coconut milk (I managed to forget the crushed tomatoes :drunk:)

Served over rice.

I love cooking Indian. But I have never tried Tikka Masala. I have a few recipes, just need to get around to giving it a try. Your's looks very good indeed!

So what do you do with some left over flatbread and a couple of left over Greek kababs? You make pizzas!!

Simple San Marzano, garlic, thyme, oregano sauce that simmered for a while, then chopped up bits of the left over chicken kabas, some left over italian sausage that I grilled a couple of nights ago, and the obligatory jalapenos. Did not have any mozzarella but did have asiago, provolone, cheddar, and parmesan. I swear they were the best pizza's I have ever made! Oh, and kalamata olives :)

Flatbread Pizza 3.jpg

That sounds amazing. Must try it if I can keep leftover pulled pork around. My favorite use for leftovers is as the meat base for chili (actually, I usually smoke up a butt for this express purpose, the first meal is just a bonus). The smokiness adds a little something extra to your favorite chili recipe.

Had to make some runs a lil while ago, so I stopped at our favorite road-side corn stand for a dozen ears. also got some fresh garlic, Hungarian banana peppers, green bell pepper & a couple tomatoes for a bowl of garden-fresh salsa to go on some hot dogs. Baking some Johnny cake now to split & cover with fresh strawberries in syrup for dessert. I also bought 3 big peaches to reproduce those grilled peaches of gratus fermentatio's with some buttery, smooth Fontina cheese, & the sauce & nuts someday this week when it isn't raining in the pit with cottonwood.:rockin::rockin::rockin:

Served over rice.

Evil. Just finished with dinner, and am hungry again.

New experiment - I have 38 4-oz. jars of Greek yogurt in my big insulated cooler with a heating mat controlled to 110* with my DorkFoods sous vide controller. Usually we make yogurt in the Excalibur dehydrator but looking for a cooler/more economical way to do it. Will know in another hour or two!

New experiment - I have 38 4-oz. jars of Greek yogurt in my big insulated cooler with a heating mat controlled to 110* with my DorkFoods sous vide controller. Usually we make yogurt in the Excalibur dehydrator but looking for a cooler/more economical way to do it. Will know in another hour or two!

I've been using my sous vide setup for a while now, I used to use a cooler with a heat mat, water bath is the way to go.

For breakfast leftover beans and ham with a couple of eggs laid on top with toast on the side.

Gotta come up with something for tonight because I'm eager to cook again, but it's got to be quick because I'm really busy. Thinking about doing hamburgers.

I just put the pot with milk in a warm oven. I don't approach it too scientifically. Ends up yogurt every time.

Wait... why are you heating yogurt in jars? Are you making yogurt? If so, don't you need to strain it after it's congealed?

Made some garden-fresh salsa (more like pica, but hey) with tomatoes, sweet onion, Hungarian banana peppers, green bell pepper parsley, salt black pepper & cayenne flakes with fresh garlic. Put it on some hot dogs for something a little more summer-like. Johnny cake & fresh strawberries for dessert, then some of my Buckeye Red to wash it down.

I just put the pot with milk in a warm oven. I don't approach it too scientifically. Ends up yogurt every time.

Wait... why are you heating yogurt in jars? Are you making yogurt? If so, don't you need to strain it after it's congealed?

We really enjoy the "premeasured serving" that happens when the yogurt is actually made in the little 4 oz. canning jars. And, using the canning lids and rings, because the yogurt is hot and cools off it pulls a nice little vacuum on those lids and it keeps for WEEKS, months even, in the fridge.

And, because I make the yogurt with half & half and a Greek yogurt starter (or one of the homemade yogurts, if some people haven't eaten them all) it is thick and luscious - no need for straining at all. You can tip the opened jar upside down and that stuff doesn't scoot at ALL. It's thicker than sour cream.

BTW it turned out great, so we'll do it this way from now on. It's great in the Excalibur too but uses a lot more energy and heats the house up so doing it in the big cooler and controlling the temp to 110* worked perfectly and kept the house nice and cool.

I've made yoghurt a couple of times, leaving it in the oven overnight. I guess I could go ahead and portion it into jars. But aren't y'all heating the milk to 180F or whatever it is...to kill any resident bacteria? Then cooling before adding the culture/starter?

I make it in quart jars, never bother draining unless I want Greek style for something particular and the drain what I need.
I'll get some puddling of whey, pour it off good to go.
Matt, yes heat to 180F then cool to 100-110F and maintain that temp.

I've made yoghurt a couple of times, leaving it in the oven overnight. I guess I could go ahead and portion it into jars. But aren't y'all heating the milk to 180F or whatever it is...to kill any resident bacteria? Then cooling before adding the culture/starter?

I don't bother with that step any more, since the half & half is ultra-pasteurized to start with. I do heat it up (in a large bowl in the microwave) til it's about 115* and then I stir some of that into about 8 oz. of "starter" yogurt in a 2 cup measure, then whisk it into the big bowl. I use the 2 cup measure to portion the liquid into the 4 oz. jars, affix the lids and then the rings, and put them all into the big cooler with the heating mat in the bottom and the temp probe from the sous vide controller goes through the drain plug at the bottom.

Have never had a problem with the above method while using the Excalibur to incubate it, and it worked flawlessly with the big cooler controlled with the sous vide equipment. NO whey gathers in this at all - it's just semi-solid Greek yogurt. If you spoon it out, it holds its shape. It's wonderful stuff as is, or I like to add sliced almonds and honey and a pinch of cinnamon. KOTC likes his with sliced strawberries.

It's also a perfect ingredient for making tzatziki or anything else where you'd use Greek yogurt or sour cream.

I don't bother with that step any more, since the half & half is ultra-pasteurized to start with. I do heat it up (in a large bowl in the microwave) til it's about 115* and then I stir some of that into about 8 oz. of "starter" yogurt in a 2 cup measure, then whisk it into the big bowl. I use the 2 cup measure to portion the liquid into the 4 oz. jars, affix the lids and then the rings, and put them all into the big cooler with the heating mat in the bottom and the temp probe from the sous vide controller goes through the drain plug at the bottom.

Have never had a problem with the above method while using the Excalibur to incubate it, and it worked flawlessly with the big cooler controlled with the sous vide equipment. NO whey gathers in this at all - it's just semi-solid Greek yogurt. If you spoon it out, it holds its shape. It's wonderful stuff as is, or I like to add sliced almonds and honey and a pinch of cinnamon. KOTC likes his with sliced strawberries.

It's also a perfect ingredient for making tzatziki or anything else where you'd use Greek yogurt or sour cream.
I am all fancy and use full fat organic milk;)

Back