What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garlic, black pepper, red pepper, & teriyaki elk jerky.

img_20140525_155354_669-1-63030.jpg

Recipe please, I need to please the woman too!
At least I know how to copy and paste

Tortilla Soup
Ingredients: Soup Base
• 1 large onion, quartered
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
• ½ tsp Coriander
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 2-3 canned chipotle in adobo (depends how spicy you want it, you could use more or less)
• 1 tsp cumin
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 8 cups of chicken broth (I like Swanson certified organic)
• 2 cups water
• 2 bone in, skin off chicken breast, 3 thighs bone in, skin off
• 1 Lime halved
Ingredients: additions
• 1 bunch of fresh cilantro chopped
• 2-3 limes sliced into wedges
• crushed tortilla chips
• 1 or 2 diced avocado (squeeze lime over them to slow oxidation)
• shredded Queso Chihuahua or Monterey jack
• 3-4 Roma tomatoes diced
• 2-3 jalapeno seeded and diced
• 1 large onion diced
Directions
1. Add broth and water to a good sized stock pot, add the quartered onion and garlic cloves and chicken and poach the chicken until cooked through (I simmer low and slow for an hour-ish it boosts the chicken flavor of the broth) skim the fat and crud as it rises to the top. Remove the chicken and allow it to cool. Stir in chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper to taste.
2. In a blender add about ½ cup of your broth and chipotle chilis and blend until smooth add to soup pot along with the juice of 1 lime
3. Shred the chicken into bite sized pieces and add into the broth
4. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and add crushed tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, cheese, onion, tomato and jalapeno as each person likes.

Do you know where eggs come from :) Don't even think of kissing a girl if this gives you pause.

Anyway, after blowing I toss them back in the icewater. Regardless, the world's full of germs, you've got a bit in you, might get used to the idea.

I'm not worried about me; I'm worried about passing germs on to my dinner guests. I don't sneeze on food and serve it to them either - nor do I kiss them all full on the mouth.;)

Everyone's grub looks so good!

I smoked a whole turkey breast in my little smoker/roaster oven. 2.5 hours at 225* with hickory chips. Tomorrow we'll get out the big slicer and slice it nice and thin for sandwiches.

I also mixed the meat/spices for bologna. Tomorrow I will emulsify it, then steam it in a loaf pan, then slice that up too!

I had it easy last night. SWMBO made some really tasty tabouleh and then marinated 2 lb of shrimp in an awesome spicy marinade. All I had to do was fire up the grill, skewer the shrimp and then grill them for 5 minutes. It made for a perfect summer dinner.

Thought I'd post the simple recipe for my onion/mushroom steak sauce.
* One large sweet onion,cut into petals
* 1 12 oz pack mushrooms,sliced
* 1.5 serving spoon-sized dollop tub margarine
* Olive oil,one splash
* Sea salt,black pepper & onion powder to taste
* about 1C of ESB home brew
- Heat a large pan on the stove. Cut the large sweet onion in half across the middle. Then cut into 1/4" or so slices one way. Then rotate 90 degrees & do the same once more with both halves. They'll separate into petal-like shapes as they cook. Slice up all the mushrooms.
When pan is hot,pour in a splash of olive oil (I used Mediterranean Extra virgin) & the large dollop of margarine. I use it because of it's sweet corn-like background flavor. When melted,add the onions & mushrooms. Saute till the onions are translucent with the salt,pepper & onion powder. Then add the cup of ESB & continue till it's reduced to very little liquid remaining.
When the steaks were done I put'em in a sheet pan covered with aluminum foil to rest till the hash browns were done 13 minutes later. Then heating the sauce,added the steak juices & stirred/reduced a bit more till heated through. The onions should look lightly caramelized at that point.

Thought I'd post the simple recipe for my onion/mushroom steak sauce.
* One large sweet onion,cut into petals
* 1 12 oz pack mushrooms,sliced
* 1.5 serving spoon-sized dollop tub margarine
* Olive oil,one splash
* Sea salt,black pepper & onion powder to taste
* about 1C of ESB home brew
- Heat a large pan on the stove. Cut the large sweet onion in half across the middle. Then cut into 1/4" or so slices one way. Then rotate 90 degrees & do the same once more with both halves. They'll separate into petal-like shapes as they cook. Slice up all the mushrooms.
When pan is hot,pour in a splash of olive oil (I used Mediterranean Extra virgin) & the large dollop of margarine. I use it because of it's sweet corn-like background flavor. When melted,add the onions & mushrooms. Saute till the onions are translucent with the salt,pepper & onion powder. Then add the cup of ESB & continue till it's reduced to very little liquid remaining.
When the steaks were done I put'em in a sheet pan covered with aluminum foil to rest till the hash browns were done 13 minutes later. Then heating the sauce,added the steak juices & stirred/reduced a bit more till heated through. The onions should look lightly caramelized at that point.

Thank you for posting that. Of course I'll probably wind up messing with your recipe, because I'm congenitally unable to stop myself... but at least I'll have a solid base to work from.

The next time I do pulled pork,I'd love to try that NC vinegar sauce if I could get a recipe for it...:rockin:

Basically, it's apple cider vinegar and crushed red pepper...after that, it's up to you to add as much ketchup and sweetness as you like. In NC, more is added the farther west you go. Some people use honey; others may use brown sugar, molasses, whatever. I've attached the recipe that I created some years ago and generally stick to...I don't always use the water.

View attachment Knobby recipe.pdf

DSC04823.jpg

Crock Pot BBQ pork and homemade cole slaw. Yum!

I love homemade slaw. Recipe swap! Here's mine:

1/2 medium white cabbage
1 large onion
1 large carrot
400g unsweetened white yoghurt
1 heaped tablespoon plain mustard
1 heaped tablespoon wholegrain mustard
Salt n pepper

In a bowl, whisk together the yoghurt and mustards then season the mixture. Shred the veggies and add. Mix everything together. Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

I love homemade slaw. Recipe swap! Here's mine:

1/2 medium white cabbage
1 large onion
1 large carrot
400g unsweetened white yoghurt
1 heaped tablespoon plain mustard
1 heaped tablespoon wholegrain mustard
Salt n pepper

In a bowl, whisk together the yoghurt and mustards then season the mixture. Shred the veggies and add. Mix everything together. Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

Hmmm.. interesting.

When I make slaw, I tend to get lazy and throw together (i cheat a little) a bag of the slaw shred cabbages, douse with some apple cider vinegar, and then throw in a bit of mayo and mix. Basically add mayo to taste (I make tuna salad the same way though add celery) and the vinegar adds a little tang. Works really well on a pulled pork sandwitch.

I just cant get into the sweet restaurant style slaw. I am going to have to try yours.

This weekend ate some grilled chicken with Leek Potatoes grilled in foil bags and a mess of Morels. We picked enough at my friend's house to feed all of us that night and some left over to send home with us and our other friends.

I picked some leeks to bring home to make some Leek Potato soup and some pepper bread to eat with it.

I forgot I also made up some "Texas Caviar", which is a kind of corn and bean salsa you dip your Tortilla chips in. Or you can use it as a topping for stuff.

Interesting, I would never have thought of adding sugar or vinegar to slaw. I guess the yoghurt I use in my recipe would serve a similar purpose: adding a little tartness. Not as much as vinegar thus no sugar to balance it out.

And for those of us who don't like mayo...

Western North Carolina Slaw:
Whisk together 1/3 cup ketchup or BBQ sauce of choice, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, and 1/4 tsp. hot sauce in a bowl. Add 1/2 head cabbage (about 1 lb.), grated, and 1/4 large sweet onion, grated; toss to coat. Let stand 1 hour before serving, tossing occasionally.

Yesterday I tried a spice that was new to me: Tandoori Masala. I've tried Garam Masala, but not Tandoori. So I gave it a shot with some stir-fry beef & veggies. I thought the Tandoori was closer to curry than anything else, so I went with a coconut/mango/tandoori sauce with the beef & some fresh sliced mangoes, garlic, fresh ginger sliced matchstick style, 1/2 a Vidalia onion, a handful of dulse, 1/2 a can of coconut milk & 1/2 a can of mango nectar.

The veggies were pretty simple: red cabbage, onions, celery, baby carrots, yellow squash, bok choy baby corn, fresh chopped cilantro, dried & crushed sweet basil, fresh ginger & garlic, 1/2 a can of coconut milk, a dash of soy sauce, and dark sesame oil.
The pics are the veggies in the wok, the meat & fruit simmering in the sauce & both together on the plate with a garnish of fresh cilantro & a few drops of rooster sauce. I thought it was quite tasty.

tandoorimasalaveg1a.jpg

tandoorimasalameat1a.jpg

tandooriplate1a.jpg

It's illegal to sell loads on the street here in the US. :)

Well......... it is illegal here and in most other "civilized" countries too. But that does not stop us and thousands of others like us from all over the world doing it once every 3 months :rockin:

Its mostly Europe but according to the map there were several in the US too.

http://www.restaurantday.org/en/find/

Like all homebrewers we dream of one day setting up a brewpub or something, this is the closest we have come so far but its a start :p We plan to invest everything we make selling our beer in buying better equipment to make more beer, who knows maybe eventually we can do it properly.

Yesterday I tried a spice that was new to me: Tandoori Masala. I've tried Garam Masala, but not Tandoori.

I adore Garam Masala - but have never heard of Tandoori Masala - what would you say the differences are in the two spice mixtures?

Even Garam Masalas vary - I have one that is more cinnamon-y/clove-y and one that is more cumin-y - I like the former one better.

Your meal looks just excellent! :rockin:

Seems like the "loads" joke was lost in cultural difference lol. A load is a street term for a certain quantity of heroin if I'm not mistaken. Just wanted to clear that up lol... Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Seems like the "loads" joke was lost in cultural difference lol. A load is a street term for a certain quantity of heroin if I'm not mistaken. Just wanted to clear that up lol... Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Woooshhh!!!

Was the sound the "load" reference made as it flew right over my head. I am now enlighten, thank you good sir :D

Latest posts

Back