What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked my wife when she's making chili (award-winning srsly) and apparently it's always been a superbowl thing. Can't wait. Man she makes it good.

Regarding the weather, we are hunkered down here! Some sort of depression, as the say on the tv. Dipped into the low 60s tonight. Getting the long johns out tonight BRRRRR.
Stay toasty, in the 50s today in the N East almost warm enough to just go with the long sleeves. Alas, there’s a storm on its way and temps to reach 60 in a couple days.

Tonights meal was salad, pork tenderloin and 3 cheese kasse spaetzle.

Yesterday I put 4 beef ribs in the crockpot, added stew veggies and dinner was good. But after I carefully removed all the meat I realized why I never liked barbecued beef ribs-theres not much besides fat and connective tissue. If I wasn't by myself it wouldn't have been much meat for my wife and me.
I've taken to using beef shanks instead of ribs for that very reason, unless I see some seriously meaty short ribs. But I've become very fond of a nice thick well-marbled chuck roast! :)

Sunday brunch at home, as usual. Diced French fries and onion reheated in a dab of duck fat, oe egg, sourdough dough toast,
10F4A7BC-A2EA-4E4E-9998-B629BFDC4EF7.jpeg
small piece of ham steak

Looks good Merry! I just bought a rare treat for us - a lovely round loaf of proper sourdough bread. I'll make garlic bread out of it for our Christmas eve repast of shrimp with cocktail sauce, steamed artichoke with melted butter, and champagne! Can't wait!

Tenderloin roast. I rub this roast with taragon, sage, S&W). Before I tie it up, I remove all the silverskin and most of the outside fat, glue it into a homogenous log with moo gloo, tie with butchers twine and wrap with glad wrap while it heals into that log.

Seared dark all around over coals (seen below), then indirect until med rare). Sliced into a bunch of filets (failed to take pics of filets gah). Always a winner.

1703464628925.png

[edit] leftovers, a day later

1703465498203.png

Last edited:
67BE09B8-1252-4698-A4C1-AF5E94D0B085.jpeg

Pan sauce
978E6E80-7F84-4785-A21C-77B7C7CEDBF9.jpeg

Châteaubriand
E8055EED-A3A4-4113-83BE-165A8528D573.jpeg

Beef med-rare reverse seared. Garlic rosemary roasted potatoes, peas, creamed onions and homemade Parker house roll. Christmas Eve festivities left hubby and I feeling sick and we didn’t even drink much, but all the food was very rich. So this was our Christmas dinner, just a day late.

Last edited:
Our 11 year old grandson is staying with us for a couple days and he wanted takeout pizza for dinner. I told him sure, but only if he picks the toppings. His choice was tomato sauce, cheese, artichokes, mushrooms, and chicken. I like all those but I would never have put that combo on a pizza. He liked it though, he ate five slices. Sorry, no pic.

Merry, looks delicious! DH loves it when we have leftover lamb chops - he has lamb and eggs for breakfast the next day. Learned how good that was decades ago at a little restaurant we liked.

Beermanpete, nope, wouldn't likely be a combo I'd order either (not a big fan of chicken on pizza) but the other stuff sounds good! Add some salami, pepperoni. and Italian sausage in place of that chicken and I would love it! Glad your GS liked it though and I'm sure he enjoyed picking out the ingredients.

This might be one of the more interesting cookbooks you all have seen. If you're into molecular gastronomy. Each chapter involves using an ingredient you likely aren't familiar with. I've been experimenting with spherification in the past (go to the Sodium Alginate chapter).

Attachments

• hydrocolloid-recipe-collection-v3.0.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
This might be one of the more interesting cookbooks you all have seen. If you're into molecular gastronomy. Each chapter involves using an ingredient you likely aren't familiar with. I've been experimenting with spherification in the past (go to the Sodium Alginate chapter).
Thanks for sharing, I’m probably not going to use those recipes, but they are pretty interesting to read.

I made a big pot of pollo manchamantel this week. Manchamantel translates to "tablecloth stainer" - LOL! It's a sort of molé sauce with several types of toasted dried chiles, chocolate, pineapple, etc. and then I cooked B/S chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces, in it. It's SO delicious. We use the sauce for just about any kind of meat - pork, beef, chicken, turkey.

Not my picture because I never remember to take one but it looks exactly like this:

manchamantel.jpg

My Mom used to wrap stuffed olives in a dough made of Old English Cheddar cheese spread in a jar with flour and baking powder. Then she'd either fry or bake them. They were really good. I should see if I have her recipe around somewhere, haven't had those in eons!

Definitely points for trying, Andrew.

At our daughter’s. She and her husband made homemade gnocchi and homemade sauce with meatballs and sausage. For dessert my wife made Torta della Nona.

View attachment 837424
Made two of these this weekend for a party. Gave a lot of it away. Thanks for the idea. I did not add the top crust, but next time I might. Crust is tasty!
1705975118050.png

Almost Steak Au Poivre. I used top sirloin instead of tenderloin and applejack instead of cognac.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    980.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0017.jpeg
    IMG_0017.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0019.jpeg
    IMG_0019.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Some good-lookin' food around these here parts lately!

Yesterday I pressure cooked a big pot of Christmas lima beans (Rancho Gordo) with smoked pork neck bones. The beans were old and took quite a while to get tender but man it turned out delicious. It's not pretty so no pictures but I'll make it again. Even KOTC, who has always professed to "hate lima beans" ate it up and complimented the chef! :D

Latest posts

Back