What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pulled this screaming' hot pan of keto lasagna out of the oven. Will give it 20 minutes to stop being like molten lava and then we'll dig in and see if it's worth eating!
B109C296-69DD-4213-BB48-46BA4F3D866A.jpeg

Last edited:
Every January 1st my mom would traditionally make a big kettle of sauerkraut with pork, and serve it, with its juice, over mashed potatoes. She said it was to bring good luck during the upcoming year.
She passed away this past summer, and so in her honor I made it today. A slice of buttered rye bread made it perfect. Best of luck to all this year!!

D20AE0E2-AA74-47F2-85B7-E6526096482E.jpeg

Every January 1st my mom would traditionally make a big kettle of sauerkraut with pork, and serve it, with its juice, over mashed potatoes. She said it was to bring good luck during the upcoming year.
She passed away this past summer, and so in her honor I made it today. A slice of buttered rye bread made it perfect. Best of luck to all this year!!

View attachment 754264
Sorry to hear about that Bongo 😕. God rest her ✝ 🙏

For breakfast on the 1st Hoppin' john, braised greens, venison sausage and eggs with homemade ghost pepper hot sauce
For dinner, venison loin stuffed with chanterelles, summer squash and zucchini, mashed sweet potato, onion crisps, golden beets and venison glace.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2519 (2).jpg
    IMG_2519 (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Not a fan of steamed Green Cabbage on New Year's Dat, but apparently have to eat some of it anyway. So in addition to green cabbage, I made Rotkohl today to go with the green stuff tomorrow and it is just AMAZING!!! Never made it before, but I love Polish and German food. It honestly is phenomenally good!!
My wife often makes a big batch of rotkohl with some apples and onions in it. Bake in the oven for a couple of hours at 325 F and then we divide it into 2 portion servings in small freezer bag. Whenever we have a craving for some rotkohl, we just pull a baggie out of the freezer and warm it up in the microwave.

We're in my wife's village in France. This is seafood season so holiday dinners involve vast quantities of raw oysters and langostinos, and other assorted shellfish. We invited some friends and family over for New Year's Eve and did a very untraditional meal. Started with boiled shrimp with Alabama style cocktail sauce, heavy on the horseradish, and a smoked salmon spread(both unknown here). I made boudin blanc with a brother in law last month so my wife stuffed mushrooms with a mix of boudin blanc and Minnesota wild rice with Parmesan. I smoked a half turkey, sliced it thin to serve on crackers. Then pastrami and sauerkraut sliders, another unknown, because finding pastrami here was not easy. My dessert/fruit course was fresh ambrosia. One of the guests brought a delicious tiramisu. Pretty much nothing was on the menu that they had even heard of before. For Friday I pulled 8 bottles from the cave-2 white sparkling wines for aperitif, 1 dry white for the shrimp, 3 reds just because that's what people here drink with everything, and 2 champagnes. We finished all that plus a couple of bottles the guests brought and I still ended up with as many bottles as I started with.
We did not go to my next door neighbor's seafood dinner yesterday, instead we cooked black eyed peas with a variety of pork products and took it to a sister in law who just had a massive break in her shoulder. Her daughter took the leftover salmon spread. Today my BIL from next door showed up with 4 dozen raw oysters, leftover from yesterday. So my wife and I made oyster Rockefeller and served them to the neighbors-they were very skeptical of cooked oysters but somehow managed to choke them down in no time and ask for the recipe.
So ends the holiday season here. We go back to the states in 2 weeks so we've started emptying the freezer. We've had almost 4 months of incredible food with her family and friends, drunk enough wine and whisky to fill a Saudi tanker, but it's time to get back to beer and tacos

We're in my wife's village in France. This is seafood season so holiday dinners involve vast quantities of raw oysters and langostinos, and other assorted shellfish. We invited some friends and family over for New Year's Eve and did a very untraditional meal. Started with boiled shrimp with Alabama style cocktail sauce, heavy on the horseradish, and a smoked salmon spread(both unknown here). I made boudin blanc with a brother in law last month so my wife stuffed mushrooms with a mix of boudin blanc and Minnesota wild rice with Parmesan. I smoked a half turkey, sliced it thin to serve on crackers. Then pastrami and sauerkraut sliders, another unknown, because finding pastrami here was not easy. My dessert/fruit course was fresh ambrosia. One of the guests brought a delicious tiramisu. Pretty much nothing was on the menu that they had even heard of before. For Friday I pulled 8 bottles from the cave-2 white sparkling wines for aperitif, 1 dry white for the shrimp, 3 reds just because that's what people here drink with everything, and 2 champagnes. We finished all that plus a couple of bottles the guests brought and I still ended up with as many bottles as I started with.
We did not go to my next door neighbor's seafood dinner yesterday, instead we cooked black eyed peas with a variety of pork products and took it to a sister in law who just had a massive break in her shoulder. Her daughter took the leftover salmon spread. Today my BIL from next door showed up with 4 dozen raw oysters, leftover from yesterday. So my wife and I made oyster Rockefeller and served them to the neighbors-they were very skeptical of cooked oysters but somehow managed to choke them down in no time and ask for the recipe.
So ends the holiday season here. We go back to the states in 2 weeks so we've started emptying the freezer. We've had almost 4 months of incredible food with her family and friends, drunk enough wine and whisky to fill a Saudi tanker, but it's time to get back to beer and tacos
Damn dude, that's a hard act to follow. Are you a chef or just love to cook?

Damn dude, that's a hard act to follow. Are you a chef or just love to cook?
Not at all, just a guy who's cooked dinner for 50 years. My wife has 9 siblings, all of them either excellent cooks or married to one, and one brother is a retired chef. We wanted to prepare something for them that they would never experience here, a little taste of down home, simple American cooking. My wife has most of the ideas, but I do most of the cooking.

For breakfast on the 1st Hoppin' john, braised greens, venison sausage and eggs with homemade ghost pepper hot sauce
For dinner, venison loin stuffed with chanterelles, summer squash and zucchini, mashed sweet potato, onion crisps, golden beets and venison glace.
Love all of this but honestly I would just let wild game be its own. But then again I have never tried it so my opinion is my own. And I am simple meat potato and tubers maybe a salad. Cheers.

Hoppy2Bmerry, would you mind sharing your Bigos recipe. I am 1/2 Polish and love to make and eat Polish foods. I don't ever remember my family eating Bigos. I combed the net and every recipe I pull up seems to be quite different other than the Kielbasa and sauerkraut.
Yes, no problem. The recipes vary because it’s a bit like meatloaf (every cook puts their own spin on it). Whenever I have had it out, it at least has 2 protein, kielbasa and pork, but the home cook generally adds more. Hunter’s stew!
This page is a guide: I didn’t measure many of my ingredients sorry. Authentic Polish Bigos Stew Recipe
I had some pork rib bones (made a small amount of stock with them, but a cup or two of any broth would work) and meat leftover from a rack of pork, I had some leftover chicken breast, and I thawed out some beef to add in.
The raw beef was cubed seasoned with salt pepper and garlic powder then browned in a Dutch oven. Removed to get the veggies going. One large onion, and stalk of celery, one large carrot, and 1/4 of a medium head of cabbage sliced about an 1/8 thick sautéed in bacon fat (or olive oil depending on your taste/health)
Add to the veggie—
1-2 bay leaves depending on the size
1/4 tsp caraway seeds
10 grinds on the pepper-mill
4 juniper berries
a dash of ground allspice (didn’t have whole)
About 2 Tbs smoked paprika
About 1 Tbs sweet paprika
5 dried bing cherries (I didn’t have prunes)
1 Tbs tomato paste
About 1 cup sauerkraut without the brine
and the browned beef let it simmer and hour or two with the lid on stirring occasionally.
Once the beef was tender I added the other already cooked meats, quartered baby Bella shrooms, sliced kielbasa and a good splash of red wine. Taste and adjust seasonings shouldn’t need salt, but that’s my opinion. Simmer for another hour with the cover on condensing the liquid.

I think that covers it, hubby gave a big thumbs up to this pot of bigos. Let us know how yours is, and what improvements you’d make If any.

So how was it?
Watched the video now. Technique is spot on IMO!
I think it’s quite good, but I really had no idea if it was actually authentic or not. Nice to know that the technique is right. How about the ingredients? Do you make something similar? Any changes you’d recommend?

I think it’s quite good, but I really had no idea if it was actually authentic or not. Nice to know that the technique is right. How about the ingredients? Do you make something similar? Any changes you’d recommend?
Honestly, she is excellent and it is traditional and great. I would add a little toasted cumin, and probably something to kick the heat up a bit, like cayenne, dried chipotle, or canned chipotle in adobo, but that is all personal preference based on the heat level you want. I think her recipe is great, and just adjust from there to what you think is perfect for you and your family or guests.

Honestly, she is excellent and it is traditional and great. I would add a little toasted cumin, and probably something to kick the heat up a bit, like cayenne, dried chipotle, or canned chipotle in adobo, but that is all personal preference based on the heat level you want. I think her recipe is great, and just adjust from there to what you think is perfect for you and your family or guests.
Thank you!! I'll look into toasted cumin. My wife can't do heat, so I guess I'll make it as is, re:the heat going forward.

BTW, Your focaccia looks great.

Served the Focaccia as a side for Pasta e Fagioli. Both recipes were firsts for me. Strangely, the Pasta dish was the first time I have cooked with leeks and with kale!! I'm in love with both now, as least in soups. (Note: I did not have enough ditalini, so I added some mini penne to make up the difference :))
IMG_7597.jpg

Back