What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thai lettuce wraps (from a Triple episode ;) )

IMG_20190522_200023_907.jpg

They always leave out a key ingredient on those.
Good point. I figure I can figure it out though. They do not do a traditional Albondiga anyway. Their's come out more as little meat patties. Regardless I am happy with the flavors, given that I had to guess at all the proportions. A little tweaking and figuring out the meat balls (patties) and I will have it figured out :)

Are you using about 1 egg and 1/4 cup of uncooked rice per pound of ground meat? You should be able to get by with 2 eggs for 3lbs. I would also suggest letting the meatballs rest for awhile before boiling them. You could try steaming also and after they firm up drop them into the stock.

See above post. There is no rice in them. And they are not boiled. They are fried, and they flatten out while frying. Definitely not traditional!

I had the hardest time finding this thread.
Shrimp in a white wine butter garlic cappers sauce with lemon over lingerie.View attachment 627832

That looks amazing! The lingerie twist has already been covered. :)

As much as you have posted to this thread it should always show up in your Watched Threads tab at the top. If nobody has posted since you last read, you will not see it on the first screen, but at the bottom of the list you can click Show All Watched Threads, and you will see all the threads you have participated in (or marked to watch), regardless of whether there has been any activity you have not seen.

That looks amazing! The lingerie twist has already been covered. :)

As much as you have posted to this thread it should always show up in your Watched Threads tab at the top. If nobody has posted since you last read, you will not see it on the first screen, but at the bottom of the list you can click Show All Watched Threads, and you will see all the threads you have participated in (or marked to watch), regardless of whether there has been any activity you have not seen.
Thank you

Those look awesome!

They're so delicious.

Cook 1lb ground pork + 1/4 cup vegetable broth with no other seasoning.

When it's cooked, toss with 1/2 cup julienned mint, 1/2 cup sliced red onion, 2-3 sliced green onion, 2 T. fish sauce, 2 T. lime juice, 1 T. khao kahu (thai rice powder), & red chile flake (to taste).

Mix with shredded carrot, shredded red cabbage, and cilantro, and add to lettuce cups.

I've made it with ground turkey before, but the flavor is soooo much better with ground pork...

Hershey's syrup. And also first time using uber eats. Pretty cool. For a fairly low fee here in Denver just about anything can be delivered. Anyways I am sure almost all of you are familiar with this dish, but for those who aren't. Its chilli cheese fries. I was turned into them from my Mexican friends and you can find them everywhere here. Its French fries covered in green chilli, cheese, carnitas, guacamole, sour cream, and pico. I threw them on a plate with my wife's rice and beans and some chilli relleno, burrito, and chips.

Attachments

• 20190525_181657.jpeg
    20190525_181657.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190524_194852.jpeg
    20190524_194852.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190524_192944.jpeg
    20190524_192944.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 47
Hershey's syrup. And also first time using uber eats. Pretty cool. For a fairly low fee here in Denver just about anything can be delivered. Anyways I am sure almost all of you are familiar with this dish, but for those who aren't. Its chilli cheese fries. I was turned into them from my Mexican friends and you can find them everywhere here. Its French fries covered in green chilli, cheese, carnitas, guacamole, sour cream, and pico. I threw them on a plate with my wife's rice and beans and some chilli relleno, burrito, and chips.
Sounds a bit like a Mexican version of Poutine.

Me too. I've got a griddle plate for my weber kettle. Here's some tortillas I was heating on it. It gets VERY hot.

Do you prefer the burgers on the griddle instead of over the flame? Why?

I prefer the griddle over grilled because:
1. They don't catch fire. Juicy burgers catch fire very quickly, especially on a gas grill.
2. They hold together better on a griddle than on grill grates.
3. Both sides get brown crusty deliciousness.

I prefer the griddle over grilled because:
1. They don't catch fire. Juicy burgers catch fire very quickly, especially on a gas grill.
2. They hold together better on a griddle than on grill grates.
3. Both sides get brown crusty deliciousness.

I do it also, because I spent a long time trying to perfect the charred burger MW in the center. Easy on a hot griddle. (flames aren't a concern with coals and a lid).

I do it also, because I spent a long time trying to perfect the charred burger MW in the center. Easy on a hot griddle. (flames aren't a concern with coals and a lid).

Yup for years and years i did really rare, but super charred burgers on charcoal. About 60 seconds a side, no lid, over ripping hot coals. Gave it up for the gas grill, which is great for a lot of things, but not usable for others.

Uh that fractal marbling looks photoshopped. Jiminy.

The taste was absolutely unreal as well. To say it was tender is an understatement. Each piece just melted on my tongue, I basically didn’t need to even chew. It almost felt like a pad of butter dissolving and releasing the most decadent beefy goodness. It has made me want to wax poetic on the gloriousness of the mighty beast that is the Wagyu bovine.

The taste was absolutely unreal as well. To say it was tender is an understatement. Each piece just melted on my tongue, I basically didn’t need to even chew. It almost felt like a pad of butter dissolving and releasing the most decadent beefy goodness. It has made me want to wax poetic on the gloriousness of the mighty beast that is the Wagyu bovine.

Interesting that you cut it up before cooking. Did you consider cooking steads first, then cutting? (or maybe you didn't cook it all?)

Interesting that you cut it up before cooking. Did you consider cooking steads first, then cutting? (or maybe you didn't cook it all?)

Basically, the thought process was based around the cut and the cooking method. The piece we were working with was a rib cap, and while it would have cooked up beautifully on a standard grill, we were using a Konro, which really lends itself to Yakiniku style cooking. The small pieces were able to get a beautiful sear and took just minutes to cook to a perfect rare/medium-rare. Since we were using Binchotan charcoal, it was less about the smoke flavor you get from regular charcoal, and more about the pure flavor of the meat.

At least, that was the plan! [emoji12]

No pics, but cooked for my daughters 13th birthday party. 48 burgers, 30 dogs, 10 brauts.

Everything was going great until my FIL picked up a spatula. He's one of those guys that thinks you have to flip every burger 12 times. Grrrrrr......

Everything was going great until my FIL picked up a spatula. He's one of those guys that thinks you have to flip every burger 12 times. Grrrrrr....

Ugh, sounds like the kinda guy that would mash them making the juices run out too. :mad: That would pish me off too.
What She said.

No pics, but cooked for my daughters 13th birthday party. 48 burgers, 30 dogs, 10 brauts.

Everything was going great until my FIL picked up a spatula. He's one of those guys that thinks you have to flip every burger 12 times. Grrrrrr......
I guess I probably shouldn't tell you that hes right. [emoji1]

Figured I should offer some backup opinions from j Kenji. Harold McGee, and meathead goldwyn.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...s-we-want-grill-marks-and-you-should-not-flip

https://aht.seriouseats.com/2010/02...s-should-you-flip-a-burger-while-cooking.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07...urgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-many-times-should-you-really-be-flipping-your-steak-240341

Last edited:

If you're cooking over coals, you don't want to open the lid that much or you'll be fighting flames, especially with fatty burgers. If you're lookin you aint cookin :)

Interesting, but those all apply to steaks and thick burgers, not quarter-pounders...

To top it off, the grill was a bit sticky, so every time he flipped, he left a little meat on the grate. I bet some of his patties were 1/8th pound by the time he was done!

Back