What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grilled flank steak, chimichurri, yellow squash, avocado. Rombaur Chardonnay and sparkling water with fresh mint.

Uploaded directly from my phone. Just watch your resolution or it won't upload.

Rombauer makes excellent wines - some of my faves. Haven't had much to drink since starting keto though. Don't really miss it except those times where a big juicy steak or prime rib roast are involved!

I was starving and only had 3 Kosher dogs left so i scarfed. :D

REALLY well fermented simple kimchi, 3 Hebrew Nationals and some cheap Thousand Island dressing.
V0gZQXg.jpg

I was starving and only had 3 Kosher dogs left so i scarfed. :D

REALLY well fermented simple kimchi, 3 Hebrew Nationals and some cheap Thousand Island dressing.
V0gZQXg.jpg
That looks disgusting but I'd totally nosh on those grinds. Fortunately I don't restrict food consumption based on appearance.

That looks disgusting but I'd totally nosh on those grinds. Fortunately I don't restrict food consumption based on appearance.

Many years ago a place near me had what they called a Rueben Dog. I usually added some hot sauce to mine. Several years ago i got the idea for making a super simple kimchi (Dole Slaw Mix/Salt/ Korean Pepper Flakes). Everyone who liked fresh kraut on dogs and brats loved it. Now i make it around every 2-3 months so i always have some that is well fermented.

Bag/s of Dole Slaw Mix
2% sea salt or canning salt by weight...so like 24grams of salt for 42oz of slaw mix.
Around 1 tbs of Korean pepper flakes per bag
2% water brine to top off after packing tight into a fermenter.
Tbs or 2 of fish sauce...totally optional
About 7 days in the cupboard and another month in the fridge. Stuff will be pucker sour and super crunchy "kraut".

I dont eat much processed meat like hot dogs so it lasts awhile. Make it in 3-4 bag batches (42-56oz) or around half a head of cabbage. It works well for a few other things too like doctoring up some Korean style ramyun or kimchi pancakes.

Nope, Korean Buddhist kimchi contains no fish or seafood products. :D They dont even add garlic or green onion to theirs so its TOTALLY optional :p

Kimchi burger with some sweetness from a bulgogi type seasoning or sauce rocks too. Beef, pork or a combination of both. Sweet, savory, sour and spicy for the win!!

Last edited:
Love the Ronco "as seen on TV" rotisserie! Wife did all the work, dry salt rub, butter under skin, blah blah blah. She also made some BBQ beans (from Rancho Gordo bean co-op, apparently a thing) from scratch, probably the best I've had.

LOVE(d) Rancho Gordo beans back when we ate beans - they have so many fantastic varieties. LOVE my Showtime rotisserie too - turned out the best whole chicken EVER two weeks ago - brined overnight, pulled from brine, rinsed and patted dry - put on a rack over a plate and let air-dry uncovered in the fridge for about 6 hours. SUPER crispy skin and the meat was moist and perfectly seasoned.

This is my third Showtime Rotisserie - when one breaks I get another pronto! They last a long time though.

Nope, Korean Buddhist kimchi contains no fish or seafood products. :D They dont even add garlic or green onion to theirs so its TOTALLY optional :p

Kimchi burger with some sweetness from a bulgogi type seasoning or sauce rocks too. Beef, pork or a combination of both. Sweet, savory, sour and spicy for the win!!
I'm not a Buddhist monk, so fishy FTW!
Also, there are some natural hotdogs that are good. But I usually use a sausage instead. There's a meat market near my work that stuffs some raw uncured deliciousness. I'm not quite there, but sausage-maker is on my horizon. Wife actually suggested it.

LOVE(d) Rancho Gordo beans back when we ate beans - they have so many fantastic varieties. LOVE my Showtime rotisserie too - turned out the best whole chicken EVER two weeks ago - brined overnight, pulled from brine, rinsed and patted dry - put on a rack over a plate and let air-dry uncovered in the fridge for about 6 hours. SUPER crispy skin and the meat was moist and perfectly seasoned.

This is my third Showtime Rotisserie - when one breaks I get another pronto! They last a long time though.

Honey, I didn't know you had a HBT account?

FWIW - our friend had the one that could hold a full-size turkey in it. Can't find those ones anymore, but ours fits a chicken none-the-less.

Many years ago a place near me had what they called a Rueben Dog. I usually added some hot sauce to mine. Several years ago i got the idea for making a super simple kimchi (Dole Slaw Mix/Salt/ Korean Pepper Flakes). Everyone who liked fresh kraut on dogs and brats loved it. Now i make it around every 2-3 months so i always have some that is well fermented.

Bag/s of Dole Slaw Mix
2% sea salt or canning salt by weight...so like 24grams of salt for 42oz of slaw mix.
Around 1 tbs of Korean pepper flakes per bag
2% water brine to top off after packing tight into a fermenter.
Tbs or 2 of fish sauce...totally optional
About 7 days in the cupboard and another month in the fridge. Stuff will be pucker sour and super crunchy "kraut".

I dont eat much processed meat like hot dogs so it lasts awhile. Make it in 3-4 bag batches (42-56oz) or around half a head of cabbage. It works well for a few other things too like doctoring up some Korean style ramyun or kimchi pancakes.

I love it! Thanks.

I made some fresh guac for Barbacoa burritos. The burritos had cheese, sour cream, tomato, lettuce, salsa, guac, and barbacoa from costco. It was so good. Also what the heck is this tool? I tried zesting but the zest just stuck.
20190607_185721.jpeg
20190607_193008.jpeg

My box grater has a side like that. Doesn’t work well for anything I’ve tried with it.

I have something similar for nutmeg but it’s much, much finer. I get better results with a micro plane.

Love the Ronco "as seen on TV" rotisserie! Wife did all the work, dry salt rub, butter under skin, blah blah blah. She also made some BBQ beans (from Rancho Gordo bean co-op, apparently a thing) from scratch, probably the best I've had.

I have bought stuff from Rancho Gordo before and it's great stuff! I think I still have some dried hominy left, maybe a pack of small red beans from them.

IMG_1070.JPG

I bought a plate of 4 ribs, smoked it in the smoker roaster oven over cherrywood chips for 6 hours, basting every hour with apple cider vinegar and water. Cut into 4 ribs and put them in the air fryer for 10 minutes to crisp up. Boy they turned out tender and delicious! Sautéed mixed greens with homemade NC BBQ "sauce" - vinegar-based. Good eats.

I had a bunch of cream that was getting close to use-by date, so I made butter. Well, the food processor made the butter. The only part I had to do was wring out any excess whey under that bowl of water there. I melted some, added some garlic powder, and froze it in a silicone mold to make little shell-shaped garlic butter patties for topping filets.

upload_2019-6-11_17-24-49.png

upload_2019-6-11_17-26-9.png

Last edited:
Back