What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Offered up as a public service note to my friends.

Going to Wegman's Christmas Eve Eve, after not eating a thing all day..... Rookie mistake.

Very, very expensive rookie mistake.

I dropped a mortgage payment for take out supper for two last night.

I don't even LIKE kale. Why did I pay $6 for raw kale salad?

Learn, kids. Learn.

Cracked Dungeness crab with homemade cocktail sauce (made with homemade SF ketchup), steamed artichokes with Fancy Sauce (half mayo, half homemade SF ketcup, squirt of Sriracha), garlic parmesan bread, and some nice Gloria Ferrer champagne.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1482676348.008452.jpg

In the summer, we bought a small prime rib when it was on sale (ridiculous meat sale once a year) and I've been dreaming about it since then. Salt and pepper, roasted to a little above rare.

My wife made Yorkshire pudding, and we still have some homegrown sweet potatoes from the garden.

Amaretto creme brûlée for dessert.

Egg whites were not beaten long enough causing the cheesecake to split. Hence why you only see a picture of the perfect slice not the ugly mofloccin cheesecake. Recipe is an old recipe in the family rumoured to be from Lindys in NYC. We got the recipe back decades and decades ago.

Light, fluffy and delicious. Also was part of a healthy breakfast.

View attachment 1482689648120.jpg

Egg whites were not beaten long enough causing the cheesecake to split. Hence why you only see a picture of the perfect slice not the ugly mofloccin cheesecake. Recipe is an old recipe in the family rumoured to be from Lindys in NYC. We got the recipe back decades and decades ago.

Looks delicious! Care to share the family recipe?

Merry Christmas foodies!:mug:

No one said this prime rib was mooing( though I personally would have liked it more rare)... Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and onion, mash, winter mix and home made dinner rolls. Nice cab to drink.

image.jpeg

View attachment 381778

In the summer, we bought a small prime rib when it was on sale (ridiculous meat sale once a year) and I've been dreaming about it since then. Salt and pepper, roasted to a little above rare.

My wife made Yorkshire pudding, and we still have some homegrown sweet potatoes from the garden.

Amaretto creme brûlée for dessert.

Prime rib and yorkies! Hard to beat!! And I love making Yorkshire puddings too. Fun process! Looks awesome!

That's just beautiful!!

Finished Peri Peri Chicken from last night. Along with herb roasted Yukon golds.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1482724822.083728.jpg

And the Mexican breakfast casserole I made yesterday morning. First the base which is fire roasted poblanos and the hot sausage and chorizo part of the first layer, then the finished casserole. Was every bit as good this morning!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1482725015.251298.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1482725033.678819.jpg

The stout cake-- http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1875-chocolate-guinness-cake

Made with my HB chocolate milk stout substituted for Guinness.

What I did differently was made layers and my frosting was cream cheese made with butter, reserved about a 1/3 cup and added strawberry jam to it, any fruit that pairs with chocolate would work. Keep your frosting so cold! I had leakage from the weight of the top layer and frosting.

I was groovin' on the pilfered Longhorn trays.

Nothing says "Party on, Wayne!" like dinner on questionably acquired flatware!

The funny thing is that I ordered those online, they were supposed to just say Bob's Steakhouse and the longhorne that was showing on the online demo, stayed there:rockin:

Sous vide filet, lobster tails, scallops, twice baked taters, sous vide Brussels sprout...

Really nice looking effort here, awesome. I really really love saint-emilion wine. How was it? I have got to try to make this meal for somebody sometime. Thank you for the inspiration

Coming up this weekend we are making pulled pork (Crock pot version since it's not the season for smoking meat with my equipment) and wife suggested potato salad to with it. I'm leaning more toward baked beans for winter time.

Also, White Bean Chicken Chili, or may bean Southwest Bean and Tortilla soup. Considering making some homemade bread to go with it. Wish my sourdough starter was built up now.

Coming up this weekend we are making pulled pork (Crock pot version since it's not the season for smoking meat with my equipment) and wife suggested potato salad to with it. I'm leaning more toward baked beans for winter time.

Also, White Bean Chicken Chili, or may bean Southwest Bean and Tortilla soup. Considering making some homemade bread to go with it. Wish my sourdough starter was built up now.

Nothing at all wrong with THAT! I have a recipe we LOVE for crockpotting it in the N. Carolina vinegar-based BBQ "sauce" - it's a favorite in this house, so much so in fact that we now mix that vinegar-based sauce half & half with my regular homemade sugarfree BBQ sauce and it is AWESOMENESS on pork (especially baby back ribs) or chicken or whatever.

Nothing at all wrong with THAT! I have a recipe we LOVE for crockpotting it in the N. Carolina vinegar-based BBQ "sauce" - it's a favorite in this house, so much so in fact that we now mix that vinegar-based sauce half & half with my regular homemade sugarfree BBQ sauce and it is AWESOMENESS on pork (especially baby back ribs) or chicken or whatever.

Oh, yeah! I should do a vinegar sauce with this! I really like that as an alternative to the usual.

I like crock pot pork just fine, but I prefer to smoke it if I can. A good rub or crock sauce can really add a touch of the right flavor, and sometimes I don't even use a BBQ sauce at all.

Back