What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christmas prep is underway! Making ragu for a Lasagne Bolognese :mug:

5BC49F64-936F-49E7-B984-9160BAD1CC66_zpslonyit9s.jpg

C7E1CECA-AA9E-4384-BF6B-E60FBC301AB7_zpsvant5dvc.jpg

Just awesome! Nicely done. What did you do to the rolled up (I assume pork) roast?

Turkey leg, white meat turkey, turkey soup, turkey omelets, turkey tacos, turkey casserole, turkey fu^(in$ everything!!!!! I WANT BEEF.

As usual, all the lovely fall herbed and spiced dishes of thanksgiving left me with a craving for something more in my grove. Pre-browned 2 lbs of pork, 3 lbs of ground chuck, and 2 lbs of coarse ground chuck. Sautéed a couple of big onions, then threw in som jalapeños.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480295427.412020.jpg
Garlic goes in last to avoid burning it.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480295473.274837.jpg
I like to wake up my spices and herbs while the pan is still really hot, so 4 tblsp of chili powder, 1 tblsp of chipotle powder, 4 tblsp of fresh ground cumin, concentrated beef stock, paprika, cocoa, coriander, oregano, Louisiana hot sausage, and a little sugar hit the mix.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480295784.328051.jpg
Once the spices were happy and fragrant the 7 lbs on meat went back in.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480295865.239356.jpg
Finally 2 bocks, a couple of cups of water, and 2 cans of beef stock and everybody is in the pool! An hour or two simmering and the chili is done!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480295980.706505.jpg

Red wine braised short rib with a creamy polenta (not from a tube) and roasted veggies. Reduced the red wine to make a sauce for the short rib

As usual, all the lovely fall herbed and spiced dishes of thanksgiving left me with a craving for something more in my grove. Pre-browned 2 lbs of pork, 3 lbs of ground chuck, and 2 lbs of coarse ground chuck. Sautéed a couple of big onions, then threw in som jalapeños.
View attachment 378513
Garlic goes in last to avoid burning it.
View attachment 378514
I like to wake up my spices and herbs while the pan is still really hot, so 4 tblsp of chili powder, 1 tblsp of chipotle powder, 4 tblsp of fresh ground cumin, concentrated beef stock, paprika, cocoa, coriander, oregano, Louisiana hot sausage, and a little sugar hit the mix.
View attachment 378515
Once the spices were happy and fragrant the 7 lbs on meat went back in.
View attachment 378516
Finally 2 bocks, a couple of cups of water, and 2 cans of beef stock and everybody is in the pool! An hour or two simmering and the chili is done!!
View attachment 378517

Awesome looking chili! :mug: I take it that it is Texas-style - hence, no beans?

Love the idea of mixing in a bit of ground pork and sausages.

Didn't cook last night. I was GOING TO, but my daughter decided to treat us to her own homecooked meal. My daughter. Who never wanted to pay attention in the kitchen when she was younger. Who ate box food during college after finding out how much work cooking and cleaning up after is.

Well, she has a job at Olive Garden right now and decided that she wanted to try making one of their dishes, but with real ingredients, and looked up some recipes online.

She made Chicken Alfredo with peppers, mushrooms, grated parmesan (She bought a block of it and grated by hand!).

At first I thought this is what she does at work when she is "sauce" person. But she clarified that they have a bag of powdered cream sauce at Olive Garden. She had to look up recipes online to find out how to make alfredo sauce from scratch.

I can tell you, it was really good! The mushrooms really stood out for me. I would have also added diced tomatoes, but I didn't really miss them that much either. Oh, and she used the spiral noodles. Can't remember what they are called. Rotini?

Didn't cook last night. I was GOING TO, but my daughter decided to treat us to her own homecooked meal. My daughter. Who never wanted to pay attention in the kitchen when she was younger. Who ate box food during college after finding out how much work cooking and cleaning up after is.

Well, she has a job at Olive Garden right now and decided that she wanted to try making one of their dishes, but with real ingredients, and looked up some recipes online.

She made Chicken Alfredo with peppers, mushrooms, grated parmesan (She bought a block of it and grated by hand!).

At first I thought this is what she does at work when she is "sauce" person. But she clarified that they have a bag of powdered cream sauce at Olive Garden. She had to look up recipes online to find out how to make alfredo sauce from scratch.

I can tell you, it was really good! The mushrooms really stood out for me. I would have also added diced tomatoes, but I didn't really miss them that much either. Oh, and she used the spiral noodles. Can't remember what they are called. Rotini?

Fusili? Like Seinfeld.

Fusili? Like Seinfeld.

OMG I didn't even think of that!

I think it's rotini, though.

I had to look that episode up in the seinfeld wiki. That was a good one, though I don't recall the Fusili Jerry part. I do remember "The Swirl" (They used that in Battlestar Galactica as well...)

I don't know that I have even seen that episode! I remember all the soup Nazi episodes cause I cook clones of several of those recipes all the time. I need to look those up!

I'd take a pic of mine, but there's no reason to since it looks exactly like yours. Lol.

I have NEVER used anything except bamboo, would, and plastic in mine. I just have used it a hell of a lot! And even though it's in worse looking shape (slightly) than the last picture, it still performs great! It seems like once the pesky enamel wears away, it seasons and performs like the cast iron it is made of!! Lol

Back