What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not the prettiest thing ever haha but it's really good, considering I just made it up with what little I had on hand

I slow cooked the pork for about 4 hours, which made it extremely tender. I drained the drippings from it and made a sauce with that, a little butter and sour cream mixed with an egg yolk. Seasoned simply with garlic, salt and pepper and mixed with egg noodles and zucchini. The zucchini could have cooked a slight bit more but all in all this was a very nice dish. Even though I didn't use any cheese, it almost had an Alfredo taste to it.

This was very much an improvised dish, so I'm pretty proud of it. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world though haha

View attachment 1453327236257.jpg

Spaghetti and meatballs sauce and gnocchi in a sauce of Gruyere, cream cheese, parmesan, half'n'half, apple juice, cider vinegar, black pepper and sage. (I did not make the gnocchi).

IMG_20160120_180509647.jpg

Wife likes me to make soups. Especially when it gets cold out. She's fond of cream soups and chowders. But I'm getting tired of the same old Zuppa Toscana and Chicken Corn Chowder.

How does a chowder with dumplings sound? What to put in it? My daughter doesn't like corn. (I know, right?? o_O)

Maybe just a chicken pot pie style soup with dumplings?

If you're looking for soup ideas, my wife makes something like this pretty frequently and it's always incredible. Beer, Beef, and Bacon...I'm not sure how to make a better stew.

You might be the first person I've met/not met that doesn't like sweet potato.
Can I have your autograph? :drunk:

When I was a kid, I met another kid that didn't like watermelon. Blew my mind. I like my sweet potatoes baked and prepared just like regular potatoes: butter, sour cream, chives, salt and pepper. None of that cinnamon-sugar stuff or honey-butter. Confuses the waiters/waitresses at the Longhorn Steakhouse.

When I was a kid, I met another kid that didn't like watermelon. Blew my mind. I like my sweet potatoes baked and prepared just like regular potatoes: butter, sour cream, chives, salt and pepper. None of that cinnamon-sugar stuff or honey-butter. Confuses the waiters/waitresses at the Longhorn Steakhouse.

I am not a fan of watermelon either. To me, it has a weird, funky-sweet flavour that I don't like at all.

Pretty sure olives are just salty, oily turds. I've never been able to stomach any kind of olive, and not for lack of trying.

Olives are a definite no. Yuck City.

Wife likes me to make soups. Especially when it gets cold out. She's fond of cream soups and chowders. But I'm getting tired of the same old Zuppa Toscana and Chicken Corn Chowder.

How does a chowder with dumplings sound? What to put in it? My daughter doesn't like corn. (I know, right?? o_O)

Maybe just a chicken pot pie style soup with dumplings?

I ate this on a cold and rainy day in Taipei, and I can tell you that it's rich and hearty and wonderful for the winter:

http://ladyandpups.com/2012/09/28/taiwan-beef-noodle-soup-niu-rou-mien-eng/

Last night's beef Stroganoff with quinoa on the side.

Would usually cook it with buckwheat, but I ran out of it.

beef stroganoff.JPG

The only olive I have eaten that I didn't like was a very bitter, oil-cured, black olive. I used to remove the pimento from green olives, as a kid. I don't know why...it all tastes the same. Green olives stuffed with garlic or blue cheese...awesome! (Not the blue cheese stuffed ones in a jar, though.) And man, a sweet, ripe watermelon? Come ON! Just like honeydew or cantaloupe, watermelons have to not be under-ripe or over-ripe. But if you get good ones, mmm MMM!

Tonight, sausage and cheddar balls.

Spaghetti and meatballs sauce and gnocchi in a sauce of Gruyere, cream cheese, parmesan, half'n'half, apple juice, cider vinegar, black pepper and sage. (I did not make the gnocchi).

Wait, two pasta dishes in separate sauce?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453470872.419644.jpg

Tomatoes stuffed with a mix of quinoa, millet, chia seeds, onion, and frozen vegetable medley. Paprika, coriander, thyme, allspice, garlic, salt & pepper. Muenster cheese, all of it on a slice of sourdough toast. Chili oil and pomegranate molasses. Very filling!

Stock pot has been on the stove all day..mmmm a big batch of chicken stock smells so good.

Pork roast about to go in the oven. Studded with lots of garlic. Since we are going to get blasted with snow I went out and cut a lot of rosemary to put under the pork roast. Dellacata squash and roasted Brussel sprouts for sides.

Back