What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of a celebration here today. Ordered some Korean garlic pork belly and some other delicious Korean dishes I can't recall the names of.

I just made the sides

Potatoes, Purple yams and Garlic roasted in Duck Fat
spudz.jpg

Roasted Spaghetti squash tossed in garlic, butter and parsley. + parmesan as needed
squash.jpg

White Yams (roasted, simple and delicious)
yams.jpg

Stri-Fry Veggies

veg.jpg

No pics, but chicken thighs confit is a real winner. I did them sous vide in duck fat in December a few hours at 180F.

Pulled them out of the fat tonight, put on very hot grill for a few minutes each side, onto bed of spinach. They thighs were falling apart and super juicy. I'm, going to do a ton of these when I get more fat. Served with potato wedges sauteed in the duckfat and rosemary and onions.

No pics, but chicken thighs confit is a real winner. I did them sous vide in duck fat in December a few hours at 180F.

Pulled them out of the fat tonight, put on very hot grill for a few minutes each side, onto bed of spinach. They thighs were falling apart and super juicy. I'm, going to do a ton of these when I get more fat. Served with potato wedges sauteed in the duckfat and rosemary and onions.

Duck Fat. One of nature's little culinary miracles.

That sounds great. Want a sous-vide doohickey myself. Will get one soon enough.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=343738

You can do a hack until you pick one up;)
I've been using one and learned a lot,works pretty good, I pre ordered one that is coming out, now I wait a few months:(

Thanks Chef.

I've peeked into the sous vide thread a couple of times and looked at the hack methods and am disinclined to go that route. I really want an off-the-shelf, set-and-forget setup. The price tags are reasonable, I just haven't got around to it.

Plus I'm guessing (knowing actually) that your gastronomic wheelhouse of know-how is far better equipped than my own. I anticipate more flavorsome results with the equipment on my side.

I'd have fun using the doohickey to boot. :)

ETA: Not seen the hack thread before. Thanks for the link. Assumed it was the regular sous vide thread. Cool stuff

Tuscan Stew - bacon (in lieu of pancetta,) cannellinni beans, chicken broth, kale, carrots, celery. The onion, (lots of) garlic, bay and rosemary are homegrown...the kicker was a piece of parmigiano reggiano "rind", saved for just this purpose. Fresh wheat baguette. HWMO declared it a success. One of those cold days, perfect for soup and bread to warm the house and make it smell heavenly.

That just looks fantastic! I so love Italian stews like that. Local store has great Kale lately in a bunch of varieties, so I'm going to give that a try!

Beef Rendang last night. I recipe I got out of the Curry House Cookbook a long time ago, and a favorite.
You brown 2 lbs of beef strips then set aside. Then you briefly saute two bay leaves, a bunch of Tai Bird Chilies, and some Cassia bark. brown red onions, add turmeric, cumin, and coriander powder, add coconut milk, simmer for 30-40 minutes, add a little more coconut milk, simmer for 10 more minutes, then serve over rice.

Rendang 2.jpg

Rendang 5.jpg

Rendang 7.jpg

Rendang 9.jpg

Rendang 12.jpg

Beef Rendang last night. I recipe I got out of the Curry House Cookbook a long time ago, and a favorite.
You brown 2 lbs of beef strips then set aside. Then you briefly saute two bay leaves, a bunch of Tai Bird Chilies, and some Cassia bark. brown red onions, add turmeric, cumin, and coriander powder, add coconut milk, simmer for 30-40 minutes, add a little more coconut milk, simmer for 10 more minutes, then serve over rice.

Looks great! I wish my wife would eat curry, but no.

BTW, cassia bark is what you get when you buy cinnamon at the grocer. It's not the true thing of course, but I believe the major spice companies just use cassia. I googled it once when I read "cassia bark" on the back of a cinnamon jar.

Just a simple Chicken and Noodle Soup. Cooked Chicken Breast. Sauteed some carrots, then some celery and onions. When soft added a bit of chicken stock and the chicken and got the boil going. Then added the Egg Noodles.

I'd normally use all parts of the chicken, because I think the dark meats goes well in soup, but I just used what the wife bought. Still ended up very good.

Except we had a Pillsbury French Loaf in a can and I forgot to put that in the oven while cooking, so the noodles got a bit soft while the bread baked. I personally don't mind, but most people would want the noodles to be "Just Right".

Just a simple Chicken and Noodle Soup. Cooked Chicken Breast. Sauteed some carrots, then some celery and onions. When soft added a bit of chicken stock and the chicken and got the boil going. Then added the Egg Noodles.

I'd normally use all parts of the chicken, because I think the dark meats goes well in soup, but I just used what the wife bought. Still ended up very good.

Except we had a Pillsbury French Loaf in a can and I forgot to put that in the oven while cooking, so the noodles got a bit soft while the bread baked. I personally don't mind, but most people would want the noodles to be "Just Right".
I actually like the noodles to be slightly overcooked in soup. I'm weird though lol

I actually like the noodles to be slightly overcooked in soup. I'm weird though lol

It doesn't u sually bother me, but I have made a Pasta e Fagiole (or whatever) like Olive Garden makes, and that pasta always turns out REALLY swollen and mushy the next day.

I have read it's much better to prepare the pasta along with the soup until it's just right and then drain and add to the soup at serving time. This way the pasta doesn't sit in the soup and suck up all the liquid and get mushy.

Seems reasonable.

It doesn't u sually bother me, but I have made a Pasta e Fagiole (or whatever) like Olive Garden makes, and that pasta always turns out REALLY swollen and mushy the next day.

I have read it's much better to prepare the pasta along with the soup until it's just right and then drain and add to the soup at serving time. This way the pasta doesn't sit in the soup and suck up all the liquid and get mushy.

Seems reasonable.

That makes sense. I'm not a huge soup person to be honest, so I've never really thought about that but cooking the noodles on an as needed basis makes a lot of sense. I don't like my noodles mushy, but I do like them a little softer than al dente (sp?).

There's a couple things I'll only cook as I eat. Like pork chops or chicken. I'll cook the sides and have those as left overs but I hate left over pork. Same with chicken. Beef is ok depending what how it's cooked and reheated.

Looks great! I wish my wife would eat curry, but no.

BTW, cassia bark is what you get when you buy cinnamon at the grocer. It's not the true thing of course, but I believe the major spice companies just use cassia. I googled it once when I read "cassia bark" on the back of a cinnamon jar.

Don't tell her it is curry, since curry does not really mean anything anyway! Besides, it's not even true a true Indonesian Rendang. It's more Malaysian I think. But it's great!

Cassia is very common in Indian recipes and other countries in that area, and in the Indian groceries around here.

BTW, I left the anchovy paste, lemon zest, and muscovado sugar addition out of my description above! Need to go back and edit that :)

Definitely a night for comfort food with a cold wind blowing all day. Put a quart of my meat sauce to use with a box of cooked ziti. Put half in the bottom of baking dish.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453161717.289114.jpg
Layer of pepperoni
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453161730.206586.jpg
Shredded mozzarella & Parmesan and repeated all of it.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453161781.025360.jpg
Bake for an hour with a short dose of broiling to brown the top.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453161798.476764.jpg
Good enough for seconds before freezing while walking the dog.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453161700.527965.jpg

Looks absolutely delicious! :mug:

Indonesians and Malaysians would also typically add kaffir lime leaves, galangal (in addition to ginger) and the crushed whites of lemongrass stalks into their beef rendang.

If you are able to source these additional ingredients, they will add a nice touch to this already yummy-looking dish :mug:

Korean Tteok & Spicy Pork Ragu.

Delicious!!!!!

Paired with Centennial Blonde

What a coincidence...I just bought some rice cakes yesterday at our local, big Asian market. I've never cooked them before, but decided I would give it a try. Also have some fresh bean sprouts and ginger to work with. I could go vegetarian or ground beef. I'll hit Pinterest for some general ideas and then throw something together.

Looks absolutely delicious! :mug:

Indonesians and Malaysians would also typically add kaffir lime leaves, galangal (in addition to ginger) and the crushed whites of lemongrass stalks into their beef rendang.

If you are able to source these additional ingredients, they will add a nice touch to this already yummy-looking dish :mug:

The lime leaves I can get. Galangal I had to google because I had no idea what it was! Doubt I can source that. lemongrass I generally don't care for, but I have seen it in several Rendang recipes.

Thanks for the tips!

That looks really good. I just made a simple pork stroganoff tonight, though I slow cooked the pork for a few hours and cooked the noodles in the broth. So it was delish, but that looks absolutely wonderful for a cold night.

Back