What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very similar to Thanksgiving Spread.

Rotisserie Turkey with bread sage and raisin stuffing
thumb_DSC04580_1024.jpgthumb_DSC04582_1024.jpgthumb_DSC04584_1024.jpg

Spuds and Purple Sweet potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary roasted in Duck Fat
thumb_DSC04586_1024.jpg

Roast Brussel Sprouts with Brown Sugar, Salt, Pepper and EV olive oil.
thumb_DSC04585_1024.jpg

No effort yellow sweet potatoes.
thumb_DSC04588_1024.jpg

Ham (store bought)

thumb_DSC04587_1024.jpg

Desert was Store bought Christmas Pudding and ice-cream (no pictures so thankfully for my coronary arteries' sake it must never have happened)

Stock Image to give you an idea what I'm describing
Flaming-Christmas-Pudding-1.jpg

I'm liking the frequent appearance of brussel sprouts here lately. I eat them at least once a week, normally fried with butter and creme fraiche.

Well, I did it. I grilled a dinner of nothing but beets, carrots, and Brussels sprouts. Then I took the hot coals from the kettle and dumped them into the WSM to get it going for an overnight pork butt cook.

In the meantime, SWMBO and I went out for a special birthday dinner a couple days ago. She had some leftover fabulous ribeye and told me I should have it. So I sliced it up super thin and tossed it in a skillet with scrambled eggs (like I need a heavy breakfast this time of year, but it was SOOOOOO good!)

When we were younger, I used to do something like that with leftover London Broil & lobster legs from our anniversary dinner for breakfast the next morning. Slice the leftover beef thinly & braise a bit in any leftover juices, or a lil beef bullion. Use the meat from the lobster legs in scrambled eggs with hash browns on the side. If there was any champagne or wine left, I'd use that to braise the beef in & reduce the resulting drippings.

This young, 12.71lb turkey sat in the fridge for a couple days thawing. Darn inside was still a block of ice! I had to bbq it a while to thaw it & remove. Pouring water through it wouldn't thaw it out enough. Otherwise, the turkey wouldn't have taken 6 hours low-n-slow to cook through. But man, even the fat under the skin around the bottom of the bird turned into super juicy meat butter! I cut the remaining meat off the carcass just now, chopping the carcass itself into smaller pieces to make stock with, bones,skin & all. Lots of smoky flavor in the skin. Put it in a new Tupperware bowl my wife bought to store in the fridge till I can make stock in the next couple days.

11 # prime rib. Ribs cut, tied back on and seasoned to perfection! Slow roasted for 4.5 hours to 135 rested... YUMMY!

Cheers
Jay

God, I wish they sold prime rib here in Finland. Truth is that all valuable cuts are sent south to Germany where they have real steakhouses. Us forest people can't appreciate a real steak...

I just cooked up a leftover 14lb thxgiving hen, mashed sweet potatoes, creamed spinach, and mushroom gravy.

Easily one of the driest turkeys I've ever had. Cooked to 162 in less than 3 hours at 325. Wasn't a drop of moisture in the drip pan and the cutting board was basically dry too.

Sides were all nailed but the turkey sucked so bad the whole meal wasn't even worth a picture!

Potstickers, WANT!:D

Oh and before I get 'well actuallyed' by anyone, I did not fry/steam these per the authentic cooking method.

I pre cooked the pork mixture and fried the 'dumplings' for a short time in hot oil.

Probably going to die now.

Oh and before I get 'well actuallyed' by some dickhead, I did not fry/steam these per the authentic cooking method.

I pre cooked the pork mixture and fried the 'dumplings' for a short time in hot oil.

Probably going to die now.

Pan fry or deep fry? Working on getting over you irrational fear of deep frying but only outside.

Pan fry or deep fry? Working on getting over you irrational fear of deep frying but only outside.

Technically it's deep fried. Had enough oil in the pan to submerge half, flip once and it's good. A monthly staple around here.

@gavin thanks for showing us how it's done! That looks so good I didn't know you could buy duck fat? You buy it in jars? last year at Christmas my mom gave me this Hamilton Beach breakfast machine I was so mad at her this was the kind of stuff that she buys that is making her broke. That night I went home and put egg in it and rolls and prime rib. And there the love story begins. Often I will just olive oil the top and bottom and cook two eggs with cheese today I used leftover ham on the bottom egg and cheese on top. These are become so popular they have a double one now

Baked white asparagus topped with lemon zest & parmesan, served together with poached eggs, and goat cheese & dill toasted baguette. A bit of arugula tossed with olive oil and lemon juice on the side.

Hoppy Belgian blonde worked unexpectedly well with that dish.

That's incredible.

Dear psy
Apparently you forgot that you got "well actuallyed" when you went on a worldwide forum filled with some pretty accomplished chefs and told everybody if you didn't stick some ground beef in a crock pot you are making Bolognese wrong. Furthermore you weren't even close to the correct pasta for Bolognese. I said your sauce looked good and it did I just respectfully disagreed with you and wanted you to have the authentic recipe before you start telling everybody they are doing it wrong again and also it's a great recipe. Appreciate that you adjusted your post. Real classy of the site to allow you to call me a dick head but delete my simple response. As it is to apparent that you were talking to me. I say stuff like this all the time too maybe next time try... I like to put it in the slow cooker all day.

"If you don't make your bolognese in the morning then put it in the slow cooker all day, you're doing it wrong"

Dear psy
Apparently you forgot that you got "well actuallyed" when you went on a worldwide forum filled with some pretty accomplished chefs and told everybody if you didn't stick some ground beef in a crock pot you are making Bolognese wrong. Furthermore you weren't even close to the correct pasta for Bolognese. I said your sauce looked good and it did I just respectfully disagreed with you and wanted you to have the authentic recipe before you start telling everybody they are doing it wrong again and also it's a great recipe. Appreciate that you adjusted your post. Real classy of the site to allow you to call me a dick head but delete my simple response. As it is to apparent that you were talking to me. I say stuff like this all the time too maybe next time try... I like to put it in the slow cooker all day.

"If you don't make your bolognese in the morning then put it in the slow cooker all day, you're doing it wrong"

It was said tongue-in-cheek, I respectfully edited it this morning of my own volition. I was going to leave it at that.

Seriously though, if you don't put it in the slow cooker all day, you're doing it wrong.

I can appreciate that I have a friend that calls everyone a jackass or dumb ass or something like that. That's the problem with writing rather than being in person you can't get any infliction.
I'm beginning to love the word facetious as I use this kind of humor all the time.

I like to use pancetta or salt pork, mirepoix, skirt steak and wine

Leftover smoked turkey pie.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451321944.756380.jpg

Was going to tuck into it for supper last night but we went to see the Star Wars movie. Then I figured it would figure prominently in lunch today but SWMBO packed a bunch of 'other' leftovers.

If I don't see that hot on the table tonight I'm gonna be VERY disappointed

Back