What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's disgusting. I think I just had an orgasm.

:D

It is so sweet and heavy that 4 of us didn't even manage to eat a fourth of it.

Used a pint of Häagen-dazs vanilla ice cream, homemade Hershey's best brownies (made with dutch cocoa, haha), and whole bottles of Hershey's chocolate and caramel thick sauces. Also threw in some cashews just to keep it interesting.

It is so sweet and heavy that 4 of us didn't even manage to eat a fourth of it.

Used a pint of Häagen-dazs vanilla ice cream, homemade Hershey's best brownies (made with dutch cocoa, haha), and whole bottles of Hershey's chocolate and caramel thick sauces. Also threw in some cashews just to keep it interesting.

Ugh reading that made my pancreas ache! Would love to take a bite though... but just 1!

Well, not cooking too much this holiday. Cookies done in advance. The rest was simple party stuff like meatballs in sauce served with rolls, deli platter, etc. Tomorrow will be brunch stuff, like a Mexican green chili strata and fruit. (Plus contributions from others). I'm not sure I will get an official "meal" in the next couple of days. (Unfortunately, a brother in-law will be cooking a dry aged prime rib tomorrow and I will be elsewhere, eating the strata. *sigh*

@Melana, that cake is just stunning - too pretty to cut and eat! LOL!

My sister will be joining us later. We'll start with appetizers - bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers and shrimp with cocktail sauce, and whatever libations anyone wants - champagne, Pineapple Upside Down Cakes (cake vodka and pineapple juice), or whatever. Dinner will be rotisseried prime rib, twice-baked potatoes, small artichokes with lemon/garlic aioli - DSis is going to make one of her famous salads (they vary - last one was arugula, sliced pears, shaved Parm cheese, citrus vinaigrette) and she's also bringing some sort of dessert. We'll pop a bottle of Silver Oak Cabernet too.

Standing rib roast of beef.

Breakfast

Cranberry cake

Three. I will get an interior shot later

Slobber explosion. OMFG! Wow just doesn't cut it.

I have to wait till 4.30 to eat. Opening this thread was not the best idea. About to go postal on my partially cooked turkey after seeing those images.

attachment.php

Just a little something I whipped up this morning made with pizza dough and a jar of frosting. They are so good I cut the pizza dough into little balls melted a stick of butter and coated them good then put in a cup of sugar with 2 tablespoons of cinnamon mixed in . individually placed them in buttered tin let rise and baked.

View attachment 1451079523704.jpg

View attachment 1451079537087.jpg

Xmas dinner. Simple this year. 27 7/8 oz prime rib cooked at 129F for 150 minutes, twice baked potato and green beans. Horseradish cream sauce for me.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451091087.584977.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451091100.666630.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451091144.453618.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451091162.438404.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451091172.655982.jpg

Next up - Oreo cheesecake. Special request from the woman having my second baby.

Did you remove the neck from the cavity of that bird? Maybe it's just the backbone, but it sure looks like the other :)

Looks like a neck to me too. At least it is still not in plastic.

Got a 13lb turkey & half ham in the pit with kingsford & pin oak. 3

What is your definition of a pit? Looks like a normal grill to me.

Did you remove the neck from the cavity of that bird? Maybe it's just the backbone, but it sure looks like the other :)

It's obviously the neck - the backbone doesn't come all the way out the bird's arse. What is wrong with cooking the neck, too, if you just want to? :goat:

I didn't cook it, but just got back from my dad's place for our Christmas over there. His wife cooked a whole beef tenderloin in the oven. I mean, she unwrapped a PSMO and roasted it. Between 5 people, we only left about 1/2 pound of it by the time we were done. Then I got to share a few homebrews, which everyone said was tasty (except my dad didn't like my barleywine, thought it was way too bitter - he actually thought the Centennial Blonde was a little too bitter, at 18 IBUs!) so that kind of made my night.

It's obviously the neck - the backbone doesn't come all the way out the bird's arse. What is wrong with cooking the neck, too, if you just want to? :goat:

The backbone goes all the way to the tail.

I've never seen anyone cook the neck inside the bird though. If that was the intent, I'd like to hear more. If not, I've done the same thing: I roasted a turkey once over coal only to find the giblets (minus the neck I think) later still in the cavity. No problem.

Xmas dinner. Simple this year. 27 7/8 oz prime rib cooked at 129F for 150 minutes, twice baked potato and green beans. Horseradish cream sauce for me.

View attachment 325294View attachment 325295View attachment 325296View attachment 325297View attachment 325298

Next up - Oreo cheesecake. Special request from the woman having my second baby.

Spectacular. Greatest advert for a HERMS setup out there is. (maybe you have RIMS, I can't remember) Either way, nicely done, multi purposing your MLT like that.

Astoundingly delicious looking.

Did the full Irish Xmas feast today. (I'm very one note when it comes to these things).

Turkey, Ham, Spuds, Yams, Brussels, Giblet gravy, and Christmas Pudding. Very much the same type of thing as Thanksgiving. snore. zzzz

Diabeetus in aisle Texas. Paging Beetus in aisle Texas.

I forgot to get a done pic of the turkey & ham, but I've go plenty left, with one side of the bird untouched. So I'll get pics of that in a while. & the big rectangular barbecues are also known as bbq pits in some places, so I call it that, as that's how I use it. Offset heat. I rubbed the bird with olive oil, with the neck frozen to the spine, even after a few days in the fridge. So in the pit it went, sprinkled with some Herbs de Provence. Bbq'd a hair over 6 hours, it had a nice light darker smoke from the pin oak I used. Was served with mashed potatoes & stuffing. The Cooper's esb went quite well with it.
Anyway, when the neck was partly cooked, & thus now removable, I pulled it & laid it behind the turkey to smoke a bit more till don. It then lent itself to ...shall we say, pit master privilege! Oh yeah...

Yup. Absolutely! Even some of that fat under the skin on the spine side turned to really juicy, smoky meat butter! Dang,I love low-n-slow meat butter!...:rockin:

Over the last week or so, we have stuffed our faces with all manner of wonderful food - ham, brisket, smoked sausages, cheeses, candies, chocolates, cookies, etc. - and I'm smoking a pork butt for tomorrow's Packer game.

As a result, I, with a straight face, suggested to SWMBO that I fire up the grill tonight and cook a meal of veggies and nothing else to give our tummies a little breather.

Over the last week or so, we have stuffed our faces with all manner of wonderful food - ham, brisket, smoked sausages, cheeses, candies, chocolates, cookies, etc. - and I'm smoking a pork butt for tomorrow's Packer game.

As a result, I, with a straight face, suggested to SWMBO that I fire up the grill tonight and cook a meal of veggies and nothing else to give our tummies a little breather.

Your heart might thank you too!;)
Of course I'm in the same boat with you -- making chili tonight light on meat, with beans for fiber. Stay away from me at the gym tomorrow :D

Some prime rib yesterday with smashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts.

Holy ****.

I typically smoke a prime rib at high heat for NYE. I'm not sure I can wait that long after seeing this picture.

*Sigh* Too busy nomming and playing games (and drinking) to take pics. The Pork Pernil was total awesomeness, the SIL kept grabbing chunks cold to eat (even just before they left today!) The prime rib yesterday came out perfectly, roasted veggies, many from the garden, even got a slug of jus to serve with it. The blueberry galette sort of leaked its juice, but it was still yummy right out of the oven with ice cream...We are all waddling around, vowing to eat light and exercise extensively.

Merry Christmas/Happy Yule/Happy holidays to you all!

@melana that cake is money

@gavin that gravy looks amazing.

@lakesidebrewing srsly lakeside that is gorgeous. Nice chicken.
What beautiful food everybody made my turkey jerky not included I think I got the probe into the cavity can't believe I didn't check. The ham was good it was the Neelys holiday rub it's really good but the cumin was fresh because I I was out and it was strong. I foiled the ham this year and it was so juciy you could wring it like a dish rag but it shellac the rub. Christmas was at my in laws and they made a nice day they always do. I was cool with not cooking.
Making a ham lentil soup cause we don't have peas we started with a huge mirepoix fresh in butter and olive oil then seared the ham a little and added stock and are simmering it. The flavors from the rub cinamon ginger mustard cumin sugar salt have infused its nice begun and after pic.

Got seal a meal and ronco dehydrator for christmas and im getting ridiculous with both.
View attachment 1451178088115.jpg

Attachments

• 1451178177296.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 87
Back