What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rootbeer braised short ribs falling off the bone, with rice noodles.

image.jpg

Update on my range problems. My post a couple of days ago mentioned that my oven died. It was 15 years old, tons a of great meals cooked on it , so it owed me nothing, but I decided that it was time for an upgrade. Probably could have spent a couple hundred getting it fixed, but it was time for new. Soooo I went out and got this delivered today. Big time power. 18,000 btu front burner, 15,000 for the other one... five burners in all. Convection oven. Can be used normal or convection. Racks on ball bearing sliders. Way cool.

Funny thing is that I had dinner reservations for tonight so I did not even get to play with it much. I came home and turned on the burners to see hot hot they got..Damn. big time heat. What should I make for my first cook on this thing? Should be able to bring big pots of liquid to a boil quickly.

I think I should see how screaming hot I can get a grill pan and do a nice steak.. Good thing I have a 600 cfm direct vented hood..

I foresee a lot of good meals in my future. But of course I did that on my previous stove.

Probably way late on this, but put those extra BTUs to use and do some stir fry!

Sorry psy im going to disagree and also once i saw this chef teaching the making of red mother sauce once saying if someone used ground beef and served it to ray liotta in good fellas he would have you wacked. I dont think the Italians use ground beef and never serve it on spaghetti here is the recipe registered by the city of bologna for your enjoyment / perusal. Sorry im in rare form here. That looks good and I'm sure plenty of Italian Americans and Americans have certainly expanded the recipe

I've eaten Ragu and Bolognese in many places throughout Tuscany and they indeed use ground beef in the perpetration of it. I was actually shocked, because I always thought the 'traditional' way was more like braised, shredded beef. Also, the recipe you posted has ground beef in it. Am I missing something? Lastly, there is no wrong way to eat delicious food! :mug:

I've eaten Ragu and Bolognese in many places throughout Tuscany and they indeed use ground beef in the perpetration of it. I was actually shocked, because I always thought the 'traditional' way was more like braised, shredded beef. Also, the recipe you posted has ground beef in it. Am I missing something? Lastly, there is no wrong way to eat delicious food! :mug:

View attachment 1450363489674.jpg

I've eaten Ragu and Bolognese in many places throughout Tuscany and they indeed use ground beef in the perpetration of it. I was actually shocked, because I always thought the 'traditional' way was more like braised, shredded beef.

I should probably interject something here regarding pretentiousness and hi-fi chili competitions, but I will just keep my mouth shut.

Last time I was in Italy, in Le Marche, I sat on a high cliff by the side of the sea at a nice little restaurant with a fine a*s long legged blonde woman. We had fried zucchini flowers stuffed with mozzarella and a bottle of cold pinot grigio for lunch. There wasn't even pizza or pasta on the menu.

Sounds like the beginning of a steamy romance novel.
The two times I was there all I ate was the fruits because living in Colorado you're a long way from the sea. Well that and caprese well and pizza and pretty much anything else I could get my hands on from one of those delis.
Chefrex I crave Wienerschnitzel much more with some french fries and a salad covered in ranch. And some of those sausages too and while I'm at it throw in some German chocolate

@passedpawn can I live in your basement

You'll have to be a good swimmer. In florida, basements are behind the house and full of water.

That is one well used, battle scarred chamber.

"Pils, Sausage + Cheese 2016". Should be a bumper sticker or a yard sign.

Yea, I don't really like to show people it - not really appetizing, right? It's pretty freaking nasty. That's my second 15 cuft freezer that got that way. I also have one with the metal (SS?) sides. Those are so much better.

Yea, I don't really like to show people it - not really appetizing, right? It's pretty freaking nasty. That's my second 15 cuft freezer that got that way. I also have one with the metal (SS?) sides. Those are so much better.

I doubt it would feature prominently in a home tour but it looks great. I've seen those pics of your trifecta of explosive fermentations.

It's like those places in the Parma region with a unique microflora, Parmigiano-Reggiano just can't be made the same elsewhere.

Perhaps the same is true of your sausage and cheese. I for one would have no difficulty devouring/drinking the entire contents of that freezer. Might take me a while though, hic:drunk:

I feel less shame now, thanks for sharing,mines around the same vintage as I am and doesn't look quite as bad but close:p

I still do not have any sausage handing in mime.

I feel less shame now, thanks for sharing,mines around the same vintage as I am and doesn't look quite as bad but close:p

I still do not have any sausage handing in mime.

This one is really not that old. I bought it about 3 years ago and it was perfect inside. Maybe I'll paint the inside over the christmas break.

Fun with fermenting. German Pils, peperroni, and blue cheese (in bins behind pepperoni).

_mg_1244-66596.jpg

My new goal in life: to be more like passedpawn.

Did my first cheese several days ago, but I'm probably going to toss it. I read a bunch of recipes suggesting raw milk as a good option for cheesemaking, so I used raw milk for two ~1lb wheels of Asiago. Then I read a bunch of soures suggesting that raw milk, especially if you're not certain of the source or sanitation from udder to your home, can contain pathogens that could make you sick or kill you. Combine that with the GI distress I had after eating some of the ricotta I made with the whey and I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it for a kilogram of cultured curd.

Definitely. It actually came with a special grate to hold a wok. I used a flat bottom wok before but am going to buy a nice round bottom wok for this beast.

Good decision. A little bit of flatness (<1/4 of the diameter) is alright, but a "wok" with a big flat bottom and rounded sides is a skillet with an identity crisis. We just bought a new one after the maid misinterpreted an instruction my wife gave her (throw out this non-stick soup pot my dumb*** white husband ruined with caustic soda) and threw out my eight year old cast iron wok. The new one's basically the same as the old, except that most of the cast iron is still gray instead of seasoned black and the handles aren't melted. Good thing is I know a lot more about seasoning/caring for cast iron this time around, so we won't eternally have a scratched up spot in the middle of this one unless my wife insists on using the metal spatula like she used to.

My new goal in life: to be more like passedpawn.

Did my first cheese several days ago, but I'm probably going to toss it. I read a bunch of recipes suggesting raw milk as a good option for cheesemaking, so I used raw milk for two ~1lb wheels of Asiago. Then I read a bunch of soures suggesting that raw milk, especially if you're not certain of the source or sanitation from udder to your home, can contain pathogens that could make you sick or kill you. Combine that with the GI distress I had after eating some of the ricotta I made with the whey and I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it for a kilogram of cultured curd.

Haha - where'd that come from? I post a pic of raw meat fermenting in a dirty rusty chest freezer, in a cooking thread. I expect to be derided a bit more, come on!

Cheese made from raw milk must be over 60 days old to be imported. I'm assuming this means that the pathogens have died by then. So, if you're making cheese with raw milk, you could follow the same guidelines and be safe. Of course, do your research here. We have lots of members on HBT, but not one to spare :)

Haha - where'd that come from? I post a pic of raw meat fermenting in a dirty rusty chest freezer, in a cooking thread. I expect to be derided a bit more, come on!

Cheese made from raw milk must be over 60 days old to be imported. I'm assuming this means that the pathogens have died by then. So, if you're making cheese with raw milk, you could follow the same guidelines and be safe. Of course, do your research here. We have lots of members on HBT, but not one to spare :)

Four carboys of beer, several pounds of sausage, and a bunch of cheese all in one freezer! Who cares about a bit of rust when you've got a loadout like that?

The 60 day thing is something I've heard as well - most milk-borne pathogens apparently can't survive in the cheese aging environment for that long - and I'm very tempted to age this stuff to that point and make sure to only eat it cooked (in case the cheese contains any of the pathogens that can live in cheese). Apparently some milkborne pathogens can excrete toxins, though, at which point there's no cooking them out. The odds that my cheese would end up tasty and harmless seem pretty good, but do I really want to mess around with that small possibility that my cheese ends up loaded with botulinum or something else nasty? Probably not. I'm strongly considering continuing to age it just for the practice since it's my first cheese, but it's probably not destined for human consumption. Maybe I'll buy a rat and run some tests... :D

i doubt it would feature prominently in a home tour but it looks great. I've seen those pics of your trifecta of explosive fermentations.

It's like those places in the parma region with a unique microflora, parmigiano-reggiano just can't be made the same elsewhere.

Perhaps the same is true of your sausage and cheese. I for one would have no difficulty devouring/drinking the entire contents of that freezer. Might take me a while though, hic:drunk:

+1

Quick soup for one, from home canned pumpkin. Drained and added a little buttermilk, ground ginger and coriander, garlic powder, salt, pepper and then blended with a stick blender. Heated, added half'n'half, blended again. Put croutons and some shredded Gruyere in the canning jar, poured in soup and stirred. Kind of like a soup and grilled cheese sandwich combo in a jar...tasted like fondue.

IMG_20151217_185249684.jpg

IMG_20151217_185854547.jpg

IMG_20151217_190019372.jpg

Last edited:
I have a vacuum sealer and I can tell you, on something like potato chips, cereal, flour...dry goods...they will pretty much stay good indefinitely. The only drawback is shelf space...obviously, you can't seal potato chips in vacuum bags, or you'll just have crumbs!

That's awesome! How long do they stay fresh in the jars?

I have a vacuum sealer and I can tell you, on something like potato chips, cereal, flour...dry goods...they will pretty much stay good indefinitely. The only drawback is shelf space...obviously, you can't seal potato chips in vacuum bags, or you'll just have crumbs!

Yep, what Matt says - if you get a good seal on them they'll stay fresh for as long as it takes to eat them - and you can reseal the jar if you don't finish it off in one meal!

I wipe the rims of the jars to make sure they don't have crumbs or bits of the seasoning, I reuse the jar lids which have been washed/dried from the previous batchs (I don't reuse them for canning though, just for vacuum-sealing), seal and then I do put the rings on also just to make sure that lid stays sucked down, or if it DOESN'T hold a seal, the rings keep 'em tight to the jar anyway. Only had a couple over all the years we've been vacuum-sealing jars that failed to stay sealed but the product inside was still fine because the lid ring was on good.

I love that vacuum-sealer. I buy Sumatra coffee at the market, grind the beans there (about 5 pounds worth) and bring it all home, portion it out into quart jars and vacuum-seal it. Stays perfect.

As for space, we got a nice big armoire in the bedroom that is dedicated to our homecanned and vacuum-sealed stuff! :D

Those chips would last like 30 minutes around me

I've been wanting a seal a meal bag any thoughts on those they range in price from cheap to expensive someone said with liquids they're difficult

Had one, hated it, bought the FoodSaver instead, love it. Amazon has them for $79, FoodSaver website has deals too.

Also if you're gonna use the rolls of bag material, you can buy some on Amazon for a great price, about half what FoodSaver charges, that work great. We use a lot of those too for freezing stuff and for sous vide cooking.

As an experiment, we sealed some smoked cheese in one of those bags, stuck it in the fridge, and didn't open it for a YEAR and it was just as fine as the day it went in there!

I was wondering what one might use to save a bunch of amish cheese we used to like bring home from Berlin, OH- a 175M round-trip. That foodsaver sounds like the answer?!

I recently bought two 50 ft rolls of vac bags from Amazon for 25.00 .They work really well and are about 1/3 the cost of foodsaver bags.

4 tbsp melted butter 2tbsp worchestershire 2 tsp of lemon juice sprinkle of parsley salt and pepper for the sauce. Sprinkle bacon bits on the oysters on the half shell and 1/2 tsp of sauce and put em under the broiler for 3 mins

Back