What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on my range problems. My post a couple of days ago mentioned that my oven died. It was 15 years old, tons a of great meals cooked on it , so it owed me nothing, but I decided that it was time for an upgrade. Probably could have spent a couple hundred getting it fixed, but it was time for new. Soooo I went out and got this delivered today. Big time power. 18,000 btu front burner, 15,000 for the other one... five burners in all. Convection oven. Can be used normal or convection. Racks on ball bearing sliders. Way cool.

Funny thing is that I had dinner reservations for tonight so I did not even get to play with it much. I came home and turned on the burners to see hot hot they got..Damn. big time heat. What should I make for my first cook on this thing? Should be able to bring big pots of liquid to a boil quickly.

I think I should see how screaming hot I can get a grill pan and do a nice steak.. Good thing I have a 600 cfm direct vented hood..

I foresee a lot of good meals in my future. But of course I did that on my previous stove.

image.jpg

Update on my range problems. My post a couple of days ago mentioned that my oven died. It was 15 years old, tons a of great meals cooked on it , so it owed me nothing, but I decided that it was time for an upgrade. Probably could have spent a couple hundred getting it fixed, but it was time for new. Soooo I went out and got this delivered today. Big time power. 18,000 btu front burner, 15,000 for the other one... five burners in all. Convection oven. Can be used normal or convection. Racks on ball bearing sliders. Way cool.

Funny thing is that I had dinner reservations for tonight so I did not even get to play with it much. I came home and turned on the burners to see hot hot they got..Damn. big time heat. What should I make for my first cook on this thing? Should be able to bring big pots of liquid to a boil quickly.

I think I should see how screaming hot I can get a grill pan and do a nice steak.. Good thing I have a 600 cfm direct vented hood..

I foresee a lot of good meals in my future. But of course I did that on my previous stove.

Jealous:D

hahahaha.. I waited a long time to get my dream stove. Alway made what I had work.I did a lot of good meals on questionable stoves. You work with what you got. My last one was pretty good, but not great, but it was time to really do it right. It is the last one I am buying so it made no sense to cheap out.

Im proud to be American and it makes sense our food is borrowed because we all came from somewhere. When the Europeans are asking about "America" who the hell are they talking about. People like me from Colorado, southerners, san fransico, new orleans, texans new york city, Minnesota, the upper peninsula, the Midwest, Portland, maine, florida, who? Wyoming utah, boston, billings, who they talkin about...

Urm.. Baked tots on a grill?

Put them in a baking pan. Put the pan on the hot grill (I use propane) about 10 or 15 minutes before you put your burgers on. I started doing it because I wanted burgers and tots but I didn't want to turn on the oven on a 100F day.

Put them in a baking pan. Put the pan on the hot grill (I use propane) about 10 or 15 minutes before you put your burgers on. I started doing it because I wanted burgers and tots but I didn't want to turn on the oven on a 100F day.

I regulate the gas "oven" by turning one side as low as it will go and the other side off or the middle off and the outside low for a bigger grill and then control the heat from there. The better grill the better temp control and range i suppose. I put wood chips in foil for the tots to. Had to use the grill as oven for extended period recently

Made a huge portion of mashed potatos not great will get rid of skins next time and cook longer. Put a nice dice on them pissed they had small bumps after hand mash admittedly it was a s..t ton to hand mash. Bad potatos? Can you get silky potatos witout ricer?

View attachment 1450243557973.jpg

Made a huge portion of mashed potatos not great will get rid of skins next time and cook longer. Put a nice dice on them pissed they had small bumps after hand mash admittedly it was a s..t ton to hand mash. Bad potatos? Can you get silky potatos witout ricer?

Lumps make mashed potatoes, it you want silky buy something in a box:D

I like a little bit of lumpiness too, but if you want super smooth, a hand mixer or stand mixer both work really well.

You mean use something like a kitchen aid. Which attachment? Will the heat of the potatoes hurt it?

It crossed my mind but I made so many I would have had to have worked in batches

You mean use something like a kitchen aid. Which attachment? Will the heat of the potatoes hurt it?

It crossed my mind but I made so many I would have had to have worked in batches

Whisk attachment.

Grandma used to make creamy mashed potatoes using a hand mixer. Secret was to add some butter and sour cream, or just cream. A bit of salt and pepper.

Been swamped since Thanksgiving so I haven't been able to do more than scan through the thread, but some awesome food everyone. Most of what has kept me busy is my annual Christmas cookie baking - 156 dozen this year with twelve varieties (I may have gone a little overboard). Some old favorites and some new ones that turned out great. Thank god for my KitchenAid mixer and triple batches or I'd still be at it!

View attachment 322870
View attachment 322871
View attachment 322872
View attachment 322873
View attachment 322874
View attachment 322875
View attachment 322876

From the twelve o'clock position:
Buckeyes
Salted caramel chocolate cookie cup
Black Forest oatmeal fancies
Butterscotch coconut
Macaroon kisses
Peanut butter creme sandwich
Pecan-crusted mojito bars
Chocolate crinkles
Lemon & Rosemary butter
Orange-cinnamon chocolate chip
Double-ginger snaps
Peppermint surprise

Then I spent the weekend baking desserts for a neighborhood progressive dinner.
View attachment 322877

Time to relax and stuff myself!

Awesome. Can you send the lemon and rosemary butter cookie recipe my way please?

I like a little bit of lumpiness too, but if you want super smooth, a hand mixer or stand mixer both work really well.

Whatever you do, do *NOT* use a hand or stand mixer on things like Yukon Gold potatoes (our favorite for mashed, among others.) You will end up with a gluey goopy mess!!! I did this once at Thanksgiving, our British friend was not treated to fluffy mash!

Only do this with russet potatoes, which have very little protein compared to the YG type. (I've never done reds this way, not sure about those, they are not usually considered optimal for mashing. They SMASH fine, though.) For YG, a ricer or food mill will work wonderfully, or just hand smash with a potato masher or fork if you don't mind lumps. Add butter first, mash, then add milk/half-and-half/cream.

We had slightly lumpy mashed taters at Tday this year (YG) and they were just fine with everyone.

Awesome! I'm jealous of the vent hood too, given that mine does not vent to the outside. It just pulls air through some stupid little filter thing. It's why I cook outside most of the time! It keeps the house from smelling like a curry house all the time. I really need to upgrade!

Awesome! I'm jealous of the vent hood too, given that mine does not vent to the outside. It just pulls air through some stupid little filter thing. It's why I cook outside most of the time! It keeps the house from smelling like a curry house all the time. I really need to upgrade!

put out shallow trays of the cheapest coffee you can find - it will suck any odors out of your house (takes some time though)

I make whiped potatos with my kitcheaid all the time with the paddle, like the manual reccomends. It doesn't take very long so heat is not an issue, and don't crank up the speed until it is loosened up with milk or whatever fluid you are adding is in.

Anything creamy works well. I seem to recall being out of milk one time and throwing a bit of yogurt in and they were still great.

I'm going to agree with some others here. Stand mixer is great. Paddle attachment. Wire whip is probably not stiff enough. Not too fast or for very long...you'll develop too much starch and make it pastie. I agree Russets are best. Some lumps are fine...I actually prefer some. Butter and cream, 1/2 n 1/2, or whole milk. There is a difference in "mashed" potatoes and "creamed" potatoes, depending on how much milk/cream you add. I don't like mine too "wet"...I like to be able to use a ladle to make a gravy pool! If you want to make it taste like a baked potato, throw in some sour cream.

Never had Eastern European kraut, what's that like?

Unlike the German variety (which is the one that goes into hot dogs), Eastern European variety is not thermally cooked.

I.e. it is cabbage and carrots rubbed with salt and left at the mercy of lactic bacteria for about 3 days. Sometimes bits of apples & cranberries are added as well.

Rumor goes that the brine from that is supposedly a really good hangover cure :tank:

If you don't make your bolognese in the morning then put it in the slow cooker all day, you're doing it wrong.

View attachment 323185

Sorry psy im going to disagree and also once i saw this chef teaching the making of red mother sauce once saying if someone used ground beef and served it to ray liotta in good fellas he would have you wacked. I dont think the Italians use ground beef and never serve it on spaghetti here is the recipe registered by the city of bologna for your enjoyment / perusal. Sorry im in rare form here. That looks good and I'm sure plenty of Italian Americans and Americans have certainly expanded the recipe

Attachments

• 1450316199946.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 69
Sorry psy im going to disagree and also once i saw this chef teaching the making of red mother sauce once saying if someone used ground beef and served it to ray liotta in good fellas he would have you wacked. I dont think the Italians use ground beef and never serve it on spaghetti here is the recipe registered by the city of bologna for your enjoyment / perusal. Sorry im in rare form here. That looks good and I'm sure plenty of Italian Americans and Americans have certainly expanded the recipe

This is Wednesday night in America, deal with it.

Un-Registered Bologna and Ray Liotta didn't show.

If you don't make your bolognese in the morning then put it in the slow cooker all day, you're doing it wrong.

View attachment 323185

Being I'm mostly German I'm good with it:D

Unlike the German variety (which is the one that goes into hot dogs), Eastern European variety is not thermally cooked.

I.e. it is cabbage and carrots rubbed with salt and left at the mercy of lactic bacteria for about 3 days. Sometimes bits of apples & cranberries are added as well.

Rumor goes that the brine from that is supposedly a really good hangover cure :tank:

Grew some cabbage for the first time this year, made kraut with one head - just some cabbage and salt, that's it! The quart is in the fridge after the fermentation, still nibbling at it a couple months later, use it on hot dogs, brats, whatever. Yum!! Don't have enough brine in it to try for the cure though....hmmmm....kraut for breakfast....

Grew some cabbage for the first time this year, made kraut with one head - just some cabbage and salt, that's it! The quart is in the fridge after the fermentation, still nibbling at it a couple months later, use it on hot dogs, brats, whatever. Yum!! Don't have enough brine in it to try for the cure though....hmmmm....kraut for breakfast....

Must be really yummy with home-grown cabbage :mug:

The way i prepare the saurkrauet is I rub salt into it, so it releases the juices. Moreover during fermentation the cabbage is pressed down with a ~4 lbs weight, which further contributes to juice release.

I.e. during the fermentation, the cabbage is literally submerged under its own juices. :)

Back