What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made my first ever energy bars. Look pretty good, and tasting along the way helped fine tune them. Basically, chocolate almond coconut bars. (Dates and prunes are the gooey bits holding it together.

20151212_184653-picsay.jpg

Recipe (something like)
Oatmeal flour
Roasted almonds coarsely chopped
3 C dates and 1 C figs processed
flaked coconut
lime juice
bee pollen
salt
vanilla
cocoa powder

....or something like that. Had to add somewhere around 6Tbls of water too so that it stayed somewhat malleable but not wet.

I Found some chanterelle mushrooms at the store, they were a little beat up, but they were reasonably priced so I bought a pound. What to make with them? A couple pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced up for stir-fry & marinated for 3 hrs in a mix of chicken stock, dry riesling, olive oil, a dash of sea salt & a pinch of thyme. Needed some veggies to go with so I stir-fried some yellow crookneck squash in a bit of olive oil with baby carrots, brussels sprouts, onions, a handful of pecans & some dried cherries.

The chanterelles were sauteed in a bit of olive oil till they started to release water, then I added a cup each of chicken stock & dry riesling, I added the onions, some fresh ground black pepper & another splash of riesling just before they were done.

Drained the marinade from the chicken & stir-fried in olive oil with the rest of the onion & 1/2 a handful of fresh tarragon & a couple cups of dry riesling. Now a cream sauce would've been great with the chicken and/or the shrooms, but since I'm lactose intolerant, I made a sauce with condensed cream of mushroom soup. I just stirred it in right from the can & added a splash of chicken stock. It combined well & made for a nice, thick sauce. So the pics are: The chanterelles, the veggies in the wok, the chanterelles in the wok & the plated food. I forgot to get a pic of the chicken in the wok, but since it covers nearly everything on the plate, you can see how it turned out.

I was trying to use Asian style cooking methods to cook French style food; sounds a little weird, but it worked out well for me. This was paired with dry riesling, same brand/style of wine I cooked & marinated with. I thought it was a tasty meal & even had plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day.
Regards, GF.

chicris1.jpg

chicris2.jpg

chicris3.jpg

chicris4.jpg

I Found some chanterelle mushrooms at the store, they were a little beat up, but they were reasonably priced so I bought a pound. What to make with them? A couple pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced up for stir-fry & marinated for 3 hrs in a mix of chicken stock, dry riesling, olive oil, a dash of sea salt & a pinch of thyme. Needed some veggies to go with so I stir-fried some yellow crookneck squash in a bit of olive oil with baby carrots, brussels sprouts, onions, a handful of pecans & some dried cherries.

The chanterelles were sauteed in a bit of olive oil till they started to release water, then I added a cup each of chicken stock & dry riesling, I added the onions, some fresh ground black pepper & another splash of riesling just before they were done.

Drained the marinade from the chicken & stir-fried in olive oil with the rest of the onion & 1/2 a handful of fresh tarragon & a couple cups of dry riesling. Now a cream sauce would've been great with the chicken and/or the shrooms, but since I'm lactose intolerant, I made a sauce with condensed cream of mushroom soup. I just stirred it in right from the can & added a splash of chicken stock. It combined well & made for a nice, thick sauce. So the pics are: The chanterelles, the veggies in the wok, the chanterelles in the wok & the plated food. I forgot to get a pic of the chicken in the wok, but since it covers nearly everything on the plate, you can see how it turned out.

I was trying to use Asian style cooking methods to cook French style food; sounds a little weird, but it worked out well for me. This was paired with dry riesling, same brand/style of wine I cooked & marinated with. I thought it was a tasty meal & even had plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day.
Regards, GF.

Love chanterelles....but then you had to go and add Brussels sprouts and tarragon. Not many things that I won't eat, but there's two of 'em!

I didn't cook but I went to a really nice Christmas brunch. I skipped the potatoes the corn dogs the salad the bread excetera and went right in to the shrimp, smoked salmon, the sausage, bacon, prime rib and real ham.

Cooked pizzas and chocolate chip cookies in my WFO today for Spawn and friends. Not easy to balance those temperature differences. Did the pizzas then put the cookies in and kept pulling them out to the door then back in. Probably took 3-4 minutes to cook the cookies and they were pretty darned good.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450059078.263978.jpg

Yes, grocery store premade dough. Last minute thing.

Had to make changes to dinner on the fly.. Made spent grain dog treats earlier in the day. Went to turn on the oven again for dinner and it had crapped out. No go.... Worked fine for the dog treats but would not fire up for dinner.

I had planned for a roasted pork loin with lots of garlic and rosemary. Baked Dellicatta squash. Luckily the burners still worked so I was able to salvage dinner. Cut the pork loin into medallions and seared them and made a quick mustard sauce. Ditched the squash idea and did some sweet potato mash with ginger and some orange juice. Some green beans and it was dinner.

The stove was new when I bought the house about 13 years ago and it was a lower end unit so it owes me nothing. It was used A LOT so I am not even going to try and have it repaired. Probably would cost as much as it was worth aft all these years.

Guess I am going shopping tomorrow. mmmm.. definitely getting higher capacity burners and convection oven...

Guess I am going shopping tomorrow. mmmm.. definitely getting higher capacity burners and convection oven...

If there is a big difference in the price, you may want to skip the convection option. I bought one about 7 or 8 years ago and I rarely bother with it. You also have to adjust temperatures and cook times. Generally not worth it. I so miss my heavy duty gas range...had to settle for electric when we moved...thought the convection would ease the pain, but no.

I did - followed the instructions to a 't'.

Without the camembert culture, I don't believe the cheese would form that whitish exterior.

Below is the youtube of the process that I followed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lztMlFi4mI

So temp regime was as follows:

a.) First few days @ ~18C (my ale-fermenting wine fridge)
b.) Another week @ ~9C (my beer-dispensing wine fridge)
c.) Couple weeks at the fridge

As someone remarked, I need longer maturation time. How long do you usually mature your camemberts? :mug:

Sorry, just got back from vacation.

I leave my cams in the fermentation fridge until they get a nice white mold all around them. The temp is about 50F if I'm lagering, and 62 if I'm making ales. Once it gets that white powdery mold on the outside, usually after a couple of weeks, I wrap them in cheesepaper (you could use foil) and put them in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Here are links to 2 cams I made:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=506268
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=532651

Cooked pizzas and chocolate chip cookies in my WFO today for Spawn and friends. Not easy to balance those temperature differences. Did the pizzas then put the cookies in and kept pulling them out to the door then back in. Probably took 3-4 minutes to cook the cookies and they were pretty darned good.

View attachment 322538

Yes, grocery store premade dough. Last minute thing.

Im soooo jealous i want one so bad. A fireplace /oven of course.

Regards, GF.

Chantarelles are great, but i would personally do them finnish style, just saute in butter, add cream, pepper and salt and serve.

Sorry, just got back from vacation.

I leave my cams in the fermentation fridge until they get a nice white mold all around them. The temp is about 50F if I'm lagering, and 62 if I'm making ales. Once it gets that white powdery mold on the outside, usually after a couple of weeks, I wrap them in cheesepaper (you could use foil) and put them in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Here are links to 2 cams I made:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=506268
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=532651

Lovely cheeses!! Thank you for sharing! :mug:

Add some hash browns & eggs & I'd have breakfast!...

Or a couple scumdogs and a coke and you'd have lunch! Just a bunch of comfort food this weekend for me. Porkchops baked in cream of mushroom soup over wild rice one night, venison steak and potatoes another.

I experimented further with my biscuit dough pizza crust last Friday. I'll post picks in a bit. Got man cave painted over weekend & new desk assembled. Still in disarray. Made 3-12" pies this time, rather than to cookie sheet rectangles. Dough amount works out better with 3-12".

Did Chicken Parmigiana last night for my wife, daughter, and my son-in-law. Started with an awesome marinara with kalamata olives, basil, San Marzano tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Pounded, breaded, and pan fried the chicken breasts. Topped them with the sauce, fresh mozzarella, a few more olives, and more basil. Then served them up on spaghetti with more sauce, toasted garlic baguette. All with a nice little Italian salad.

I need to learn to clean the plate off before I take plating pictures! lol

Chicken Parm 1.jpg

Chicken Parm 2.jpg

Chicken Parm 3.jpg

Chicken Parm 4.jpg

Chicken Parm 5.jpg

Chicken Parm 6.jpg

eh...the leftover few fried chicken bits...was lazy, just quick marinaded some chicken breast slices in soy, salt pepper and smoked paprika. dip in flour, then egg then breadcrumb and fried.
Fried some french fries with it. lazy dinner :D

WP_20151214_18_54_21_Pro.jpg

eh...the leftover few fried chicken bits...was lazy, just quick marinaded some chicken breast slices in soy, salt pepper and smoked paprika. dip in flour, then egg then breadcrumb and fried.
Fried some french fries with it. lazy dinner :D

Simple things taste the best sometimes.

Back