What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone make their own snack bars?

We just got a great new food processor (first use was juliening those carrots) and the cabinet appears to have half a container of dates left from GF's plan of bacon wrapped dates for Thanksgiving.

I have....coconut flakes, almonds, dates, cocoa powder, and oats as recipe candidates.

(Now I am also wondering about the sweet potatoes from previous post as interesting flavor in a snack bar.)

I have but not in a while, don't know if I wrote it down of not, I'll look later.
Pumpkin, sunflower, chia and ground flax seed, nutritional yeast, dried fruit, nuts,eggs to bind and enough liquid to wet.
Pack it into a pan and bake.
All I got from memory, need to make some!

and the cabinet appears to have half a container of dates left from GF's plan of bacon wrapped dates for Thanksgiving.

I've had lingerie wrapped dates, whipped cream wrapped dates, versaci wrapped dates, but never a bacon wrapped date. SWMBO probably wouldn't be too happy if I had a bacon wrapped date. In fact, she'd probably behead me.

I did hot dogs for dinner night...no pics though, because I only made the chili and slaw. I've made ketchup before, but not this time. And I know what some of you are capable of...and I didn't make the buns or mustard either...nor did I grow the onions, so...move along. Nothing to see here.

:cross: Now, I like me some halibut cheeks, or some pig cheeks, and hamachi kama is wonderful, but I really don't want to pick at somebody's face on my plate while they're still lookin' back at me, TYVM! :p

Good thing everyone is different, right?

Cheeks, faces. Yummy.

Yes, to each their own.

I don't want the face. I'm not eating it, why is it on my plate? If they are going to leave the lips and eyes, why do they even bother removing the organs?

Then eat it!

Ha... My FILs best friend goes out and hunts with him quite a bit (guy is originally from IL) but doesn't cook many birds. He takes one here and there.

Last year he smoked one and got us all stoked to try it. Really was delicious, ate it all as we sat on the veranda.

I'm drinking a beer and picking at bones when I look in the cavity and see all of the organs/intestines, everything. I asked who cleaned that bird...

'I did! Good wasn't it? First one.'

It was good. But yuck. Haha.

Urm...

Chicken rubber with salt preserved lemons, and roasted with veg. Tossed with leftover kale chips.

View attachment 1449622137142.jpg

Man, I made a delicious egg drop soup with some of my stock for lunch... So freaking good. No pics didn't happen.

Seriously though, I love egg drop soup but can never get my eggs to come out all nice and stringy like the restaurants do.

Any experts in the house? I drizzle through a fork and stir. Am I stirring too much? Broth too hot?

Moms didint either. Cool you make that apparently everyone

Easy way out tonight - linguine, topped with bolognese that was faked - a pound of homeground beef, browned with garlic powder, oregano, rosemary, then added to that a jar each of Trader Joe's Three cheese Marinara and Puttanesca sauces, and a goodly bit of Parm cheese. Made some garlic cheese toast too. Glass of Zinfandel and all is good!

Took the rest of the turkey and roasted chicken from Thanksgiving and a few days before Thanksgiving respectively and heated it up in a pan with some olive oil, a bit of lacto-fermented pepper mash, and turkey stock. Pulled the poultry, chopped some homegrown peppers and sauteed them in some more stock for a little while before tossing the chicken back in and finally deglazing with a bit more stock. Tossed that on tortillas with some of the mild lacto-fermented hot sauce the pepper mash came from and a bit of melted mozzarella. Tasty leftover concoction, but I need to look into firming up that hot sauce because it all flows right out of the tortilla in its current state.

Speaking of hot sauce, The first 2 weeks or so, my peppa sauce was all heat from the ghosts, fatalii's & scorpions. now it's getting more flavor mixed with the heat, over a month later. finally got some black pepper corns, may add 5 to each bottle? Was great in some black-eyed peas.

Your egg-washed chicken makes this Southern boy cry...

:(

Good thing I wasn't making Southern food.

Took the rest of the turkey and roasted chicken from Thanksgiving and a few days before Thanksgiving respectively and heated it up in a pan with some olive oil, a bit of lacto-fermented pepper mash, and turkey stock. Pulled the poultry, chopped some homegrown peppers and sauteed them in some more stock for a little while before tossing the chicken back in and finally deglazing with a bit more stock. Tossed that on tortillas with some of the mild lacto-fermented hot sauce the pepper mash came from and a bit of melted mozzarella. Tasty leftover concoction, but I need to look into firming up that hot sauce because it all flows right out of the tortilla in its current state.

Maybe roast a carrot and process with the sauce? I've done carrot based hot sauces before and they are nice and thick.

Won't take much, but the heat will suffer slightly.

Made a big pot of Chili to fight the weather here. Good news is I remembered to cut the Habaneros with protection (let the jokes ensue). Bad news is that I ended up using two of those, cayene, and Blair´s Jersey Death.

Let´s just say this seems to be soundtrack to this meal https://youtu.be/2fngvQS_PmQ

Simple fritatta.

Clean out the fridge. Potato, caramalized onions, roasted red peppers, celery leaves, and goat cheese...

image.jpg

Took a stab at cheese-making and started with a camembert.

The first photo is drained cheese, with whey still coming out of it; probably one or two days after making it.

The second picture is after about one month of conditioning.

Picked up this kiwi-made kit from my LHBS:

http://www.madmillie.com/shop/Cheese+Making/Cheese+Making+Kits/Specialty+Cheese+Kit.html

The cheese is quite pleasant in and of itself; however for whatever reason it lacks the creamy complexity of the original. Must be the milk's fault :p

On Friday, I will be receiving a 5L (1.3 gallon) delivery of unpasteurized milk.

Gorgonzola - here I come!! :tank: :rockin:

Camembert 1.jpg

Camembert 2.jpg

I made pizza dough the other day and let it rise in the fridge. Since we had about a pound of BBQ pork shoulder left from a summer party (I can't estimate or plan how much food to make for anything!), we had BBQ pork stromboli with red onions, bell pepper, and cheddar cheese.

img_2053.jpg

img_2055.jpg

These are not the same stromboli - the nice looking one got eaten before I took a picture. One was a little wonky looking and had a blow out on the side. Next time, I won't stretch the dough so thin. I'll also make them a little smaller. Probably could have gotten 5-6 smaller stromboli instead of 2 big ones.

The cheese is quite pleasant in and of itself; however for whatever reason it lacks the creamy complexity of the original. Must be the milk's fault :p

On Friday, I will be receiving a 5L (1.3 gallon) delivery of unpasteurized milk.

Looks great!

I make very creamy camembert from pasteurized milk. It's the culture that ends up making the cam creamy on the inside and chewy on the outside. Did you include penicillium Candidum (Camembert) in the milk before you formed your curds? What temp did you store at, and for how long?

I just stuck a 16 pound turkey in the oven. We haven't had our fill of it yet! Will have leftover stuffing which I froze right after T'giving, peas, pearl onions in butter sauce, gravy, and homemade cranberry jalapeno sauce. YUM.

Looks great!

I make very creamy camembert from pasteurized milk. It's the culture that ends up making the cam creamy on the inside and chewy on the outside. Did you include penicillium Candidum (Camembert) in the milk before you formed your curds? What temp did you store at, and for how long?

I did - followed the instructions to a 't'.

Without the camembert culture, I don't believe the cheese would form that whitish exterior.

Below is the youtube of the process that I followed:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lztMlFi4mI[/ame]

So temp regime was as follows:

a.) First few days @ ~18C (my ale-fermenting wine fridge)
b.) Another week @ ~9C (my beer-dispensing wine fridge)
c.) Couple weeks at the fridge

As someone remarked, I need longer maturation time. How long do you usually mature your camemberts? :mug:

I had takeout Chinese tonight. Doesn't count. Just wanted to say, to get the spammers off the list.

Back