What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so no pics but I think I'm going to put this in medium-heavy rotation after a few tweaks to be determined.

Bed of japanese noodles. Boiled in water and soy sauce and then lubed liberally with sesame oil after draining. A few sesame seeds and a dollop of soy rounded it out.

Atop that were chicken wings that I marinated in soy, garlic, ginger and scallions and then baked until glazed and cooked through.

Salad along side was a simple shaved kohlrabi (not keeping with theme but I had one lying around) with extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and lemon juice.

Surprisingly tasty for a quick meal.

So, after taking care of my brewing duties today...

The pork lion has been salted, peppered, seared off in cast iron pan to render some fat and caramelize. Then into slow cooker for rest of the day. I found a pretty good Carolina BBQ sauce we want to try out. (SHHH...don't tell 'cause we are in the KC BBQ region, but I am getting burned out on tomato/brown sugar sauces.)

Also, chicken breasts have been in brine for a day. Those will get pan seared in the rendered pork fat, then oven roasted to finish. The bones will go toward a stock and the chicken will be sliced and served with smashed potatoes. (Or pan fried home fries, not sure yet.)

Lots of good things going on today! I got some chicken thighs into a chipotle lime marinade before starting to put together an IKEA bookcase for my wife's classroom. Going to do Mexican rice and some Mexican Zucchini boats to go with it.

image3-66023.jpg

The first runnings of about 250 lbs of wild flower honey we harvested today. Took several hours so this is the closest I came to cooking other than making Ramen.

Made a tomato salad with yard-grown cherry tomatoes, halved, pitted Kalamata olives, halved, sweet onion cut into wedge pieces, separated, two jars of marinated artichoke hearts, and an avocado, large dice, with homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

Made pasta/pesto with pinenuts.

Made a flourless sugarfree/gluten-free Meyer lemon cake, which then was adulterated with two cans of buttercream frosting! LOL!

This is a picture of the cake:

lemon cake 4.jpg

Leave it to the nordics to make crawfish proper. Love the events around here even though I am a veggy.

Sorry for the double post. iPhone app always says I have to wait 30 seconds but it posts it anyway. It was left on my phone this morning and I was not sure I sent it last night! lol

Ice Cream was Home Served!

Leftover lasagna last night. Leftover chicken for lunch.

I'm seriously neglecting my cooking duties. I'll be making it up when it gets to be soup season again.

I'm probably just depressed because of the cold snap. It feels like autumn is here already and I didn't get to do much work on my Mustang or spend as much time doing other things I wanted to do. :(

Leftover lasagna last night. Leftover chicken for lunch.

I'm seriously neglecting my cooking duties. I'll be making it up when it gets to be soup season again.

I'm probably just depressed because of the cold snap. It feels like autumn is here already and I didn't get to do much work on my Mustang or spend as much time doing other things I wanted to do. :(
Every season is soup season. You just need to vary which ones you make. The Indian inspired lentil soup I posted here is perfect for summer. Light, spicy, fresh, etc. Just fits. In the fall I also do lentil soup, but go heavier and darker. Some brown fried smoked tofu (instead of bacon or such), apple vinegar, carrots, celery, bay leaf, etc.

And cooking with left overs is a joy to me. One of the great challenges that really gets your mind going. What can I do with what I have. Some of the best things are born from that. Especially a leftover casserole is usually amazing for me.
Even when you just have a leftover done meal like lasagne it can be awesome. Doing variations on finishing flavoring is an amazing learning experience.

With my ramen, which I am still eating at times since I froze half of the stock, I am constantly doing stuff. Finishing with white pepper one day and with tellicherry the other. Using different chilies and chili sauces. Adding coriander. Adding red wine vinegar. Especially cool was to compare adding sesame oil, olive oil, and butter. So much to try.

Leftovers are one of the absolute best ways to learn about flavors.

The Indian inspired lentil soup I posted here is perfect for summer. Light, spicy, fresh, etc. Just fits.

Interesting, the GF and I have tried lentils, I just cannot get used to the texture, but maybe a good spicy indian soup would work. Got a link or a number for that post?

Every season is soup season. You just need to vary which ones you make. The Indian inspired lentil soup I posted here is perfect for summer. Light, spicy, fresh, etc. Just fits. In the fall I also do lentil soup, but go heavier and darker. Some brown fried smoked tofu (instead of bacon or such), apple vinegar, carrots, celery, bay leaf, etc.

And cooking with left overs is a joy to me. One of the great challenges that really gets your mind going. What can I do with what I have. Some of the best things are born from that. Especially a leftover casserole is usually amazing for me.
Even when you just have a leftover done meal like lasagne it can be awesome. Doing variations on finishing flavoring is an amazing learning experience.

With my ramen, which I am still eating at times since I froze half of the stock, I am constantly doing stuff. Finishing with white pepper one day and with tellicherry the other. Using different chilies and chili sauces. Adding coriander. Adding red wine vinegar. Especially cool was to compare adding sesame oil, olive oil, and butter. So much to try.

Leftovers are one of the absolute best ways to learn about flavors.

Indeed. I'd be curious to see a recipe for that as well.

Part of the problem is that other people in my house have a general aversion to leftovers. Soup is usually no problem, but most other things are not appealing to them as leftovers.

And we live in a small town in West Central Northern Lower Michigan, so our exposure to ethnic foods is quite limited. A lot of the recipe I see here are very exotic and so of course the family is wary of it.

One of our favorite dishes is pork, smothered in Cream of Mushroom soup with a bit of milk mixed in, and cooked until tender (crockpot works very well). Add mashed potatoes or white rice and BAM! dinner.

I haven't even used the smoker hardly at all this sumemr! WTH is wrong with me??

Thats it! I am going to have to pull a frozen bird out of the freezer tonight so it will be thawed and ready for smoking tomorrow, Thursday after work to redeem myself.

Then have to clear up a weekend and a few guinea pigs to smoke up my first brisket.
And I have a nice pair of butts lined up too.

Looks like I will be redeemed if I can get a smoke in for the next couple weekends.

I know I have a bunch of jalapenos in the fridge. I *could* make some ABT's. They will ruin my gut, but they are so tasty!

What I need is a nice pork butt to make into pulled pork.

Anybody got any other suggestions?

Interesting, the GF and I have tried lentils, I just cannot get used to the texture, but maybe a good spicy indian soup would work. Got a link or a number for that post?

It was not that far back. It is not an exact recipe as results can vary a lot depending on taste and the flavors your exact ingredients give you, but following what I posted and using your own taste buds you should get something.

If texture is the issue you can vary the cooking times. From where you feel the individual lentils in the bite to where it is a bit mushy. Letting them sit also softens them.

Also in this I feel there is enough to balance out the general lentil texture as there a few veggys present which all feel different.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7043218&postcount=5530

And here is the post with the picture. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7041461&postcount=5527

Latest posts

Back