What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I threw together a new crock pot Chicken Tikka Masala recipe late last night and plugged it in before I left for work this morning. Anybody's guess as to how it will turn out, but I should know sometime this evening when I finish it off a get some rice cooked :)

I too adore lamb, but my wife does not so I never cook it. However she ate one of these and had to admit it was tasty, so maybe more lamb in my future! :D

This was my husband too - until he started eating lamb filets at the local Greek restaurant. Now he'll eat rack of lamb (I coat with Dijon and olive oil, then into crushed nuts - pecans, hazelnuts, or my fave, pistachios, then roast to rare), grilled lamb chops, and marinated lamb leg steaks too.

Canned 18 qts of tomatoes today.... Another day like today and I will have enough fresh canned tomatoes to last through the winter.

image.jpg

This was my husband too - until he started eating lamb filets at the local Greek restaurant. Now he'll eat rack of lamb (I coat with Dijon and olive oil, then into crushed nuts - pecans, hazelnuts, or my fave, pistachios, then roast to rare), grilled lamb chops, and marinated lamb leg steaks too.

Crushed pistachios sounds fantastic! I will have to give that a try!

Made biscuits this morning...then realized SWMBO had medical tests this a.m. and wasn't allowed to eat until after. Dang...had to get them under the exhaust fan as soon as they came out so they didn't made her feel bad. But my grandbaby momma got to have a pimento cheese and bacon biscuit when she got here.

Did that Ohioan just bag on a Southerner's biscuits???

:drunk:

Obviously you've never seen a picture of his biscuits . They are incredible. I meant it was cruel and unusual for her not to get to eat them right away. Also I make some pretty mean angel biscuits myself even tho I' m from the state of the ncaa football champions . :ban:

Using "Quorn" unchicken cubes to make a recipe I used to make with boneless chicken breast, cream of mushroom soup, white wine, swiss cheese, and panko bread crumbs. I hope she likes it. The kids and I are having Hamburger Helper Stroganoff.

Obviously you've never seen a picture of his biscuits . They are incredible. I meant it was cruel and unusual for her not to get to eat them right away. Also I make some pretty mean angel biscuits myself even tho I' m from the state of the ncaa football champions . :ban:

Ah, I misunderstood! I beg your pardon, good sir.

:)

I make a mean biscuit myself, buttermilk, half lard & half butter, that I was selling in a NY restaurant, made & sold out of dozens of them every day.

:D

With all of the good tomatoes I decided to whip up a big batch of gazpacho.. That and steamed up some shrimp. Both cooling down in the fridge for a nice cool dinner tonight....

I put these on about an hour ago... they will go until at least 7:30 tomorrow morning - 12 pounds of pork shoulder (Boston butt):

vVYT3MR.jpg

If you want to think Southerners are weird, then let this help (yes, those are corncobs I am using as smoking media):

iEV7B0c.jpg

:)

New York City!?!?;)

My sister lived up there, invited me up to become "head chef" in her restaurant, so I did. Stayed up there almost 3 years before having to come back home.

Here's a tip - don't borrow money from ANYONE related to ANYONE in the Mafia. My sister did, and that's why we don't have a restaurant anymore.

:(

I never followed up on my new Chicken Tikka Masala crock pot recipe attempt. It was great, and certainly easy, but OMG it was spicy hot!! And I am a Goan food fan over all other Indian cuisines! I need to tweak down the heat a bit but other than that it was great!

With all of the good tomatoes I decided to whip up a big batch of gazpacho.. That and steamed up some shrimp. Both cooling down in the fridge for a nice cool dinner tonight....

If you have a good gazpacho recipe I would love it if you would share it. I have tried three recipes and have been underwhelmed with each. Not sure why and I have had great versions in the past, just not my attempts.

I never followed up on my new Chicken Tikka Masala crock pot recipe attempt. It was great, and certainly easy, but OMG it was spicy hot!! And I am a Goan food fan over all other Indian cuisines! I need to tweak down the heat a bit but other than that it was great!

Mind sharing the recipe? I did some a few weeks ago and it turned out OK except I forgot the tomatoes (is it really even tikka masala at that point?).

If you have a good gazpacho recipe I would love it if you would share it. I have tried three recipes and have been underwhelmed with each. Not sure why and I have had great versions in the past, just not my attempts.

There are a ton of different ways to make it. I never really use a recipe but a few things will help you.

Use really good fresh ingredients. I only make it at this time of year. Peel and seed the tomatoes. The other ingredients I usually use are onion, garlic, peppers ( these can be green, red or I really like cubanelle) and cucumber. I take about 1/2 of the ingredients and put them in a blender. It does not need to be smooth , but very finely chopped. This forms the base. Then I hand chop some tomatoes, peppers and cucumber to add some texture. A fine chop and you can decide just how much texture you like. I like it a little chunky. Some recipes call for tomato juice but I think that it does not give a good flavor, Let the fresh tomatoes shine. If you need it juicier then add more tomatoes and a little water to the blended part.

I use some fresh lemon juice, sherry vinegar (sherry vinegar gives it the right flavor) and a dash of worchestire sauce for seasoning. Salt and pepper. If you want some heat you can add a little jalepeno or even some tobasco. If the tomatoes are acidic you may need a touch of sugar to balance it out.

The big key is to let it sit for at least 4 hours in the fridge for the flavors to develop. Even overnight is good. Taste and adjust after that. Garnish with some more chopped cucumber and peppers. A dallopmof sour crean is a nice touch. Sometimes some fresh parsley or cilantro is nice also.

enjoy

Mind sharing the recipe? I did some a few weeks ago and it turned out OK except I forgot the tomatoes (is it really even tikka masala at that point?).

Of course not. I'll share any recipe :) And I actually do cook from written recipes which I adjust each time I cook them until I get them right. I have tweaked this one a bit based on my first attempt. I've attached the PDF version of the word file too, since I figured out that I can :D

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala – adapted from CookingClassy.com
Ingredients
• Ingredients:
• 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces
• 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 Tbsp freshly, finely grated ginger
• 1 (29 oz) can tomato puree (I pureed canned San Marzano Whole Tomatoes)
• 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 2 Tbsp Garam Masala
• 1 Tbsp cumin
• 1/2 Tbsp paprika
• 2 tsp salt, or to taste
• 3/4 tsp cinnamon
• 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1-3 tsp cayenne pepper (note 3 is way too hot for Tikka Masala! I’m going with ½-1 next time)
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
• Prepared Long Grain White Rice or Basmati Rice
• Chopped cilantro, for serving
Directions
• In a large mixing bowl combine chopped onions, minced garlic, grated ginger, tomato puree, plain yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Garam Masala, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
• Pour half of sauce mixture into a large slow cooker then add in diced chicken, then cover chicken with remaining sauce. Add in 2 bay leaves.
• Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low heat for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
• In a mixing bowl, whisk together heavy cream and cornstarch, pour mixture into slow cooker and gently stir. Allow mixture to cook 20 minutes while you prepare the rice.
• Remove bay leaves and serve warm over rice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.

View attachment Chicken - Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala.pdf

Back