What craft beer do you secretly despise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot get into sours. I don't know what the craze is. Also, I will drink any beer regardless of the taste (as long as the price is right, aka free).

Not really. Its already turning into our bi-weekly "dont like IPA" thread where we also have to mention people that "only drink IPA"

That is true. I have not seen those but I am usually lurking in the actual home brewing threads. At least we know IPA is the craft beer BMC. That is not a bad thing. I still love Two hearted. If I want an IPA then that is my go to. I also like what 3 Floyd's does with some if their beers with non traditional hopping.

I think what some hone brewers do not get is that there are so many wonderful styles out there and people won't try them. Some breweries are getting very one dimensional with their beers because the people want them. They have to pay bills to.

I know a brewer at a major craft brewer. The IPA is the best seller with a wheat being second. He lets the assistant brewer handle it he works on the small batch Belgian stuff now. It is like an art for him and the IPA and wheat beer have turned into a manufacturing process.

This thread just shows what many home brewers see as a trend and it is in our nature for many of us to buck the trend. That is why we started home brewing before craft beer was the in thing. We wanted something different from the trend b

I despise New Belgium. They all taste the same to me (at least the ones I've tried)

I wouldn't say I despise them but I won't drink Goose Island because they're so hugely trendy around here right now. I get tired of the beer group hipsters bragging about what GI Bourbon County they had.

Stone Enjoy By comes to mind as a waste of 8 bucks.

DFH beers are very hit and miss. I can usually find something that's ok at their brew pub here in VA though. The place is always jammed so they must be doing something right.

Hopslam is another that's not worth the money.

DC Brau's On the Wings of Armageddon is $20 a 6er and it's only available at the brewery. It's a good IIPA but I'm not spending $20 on any 6er. It's still just an IPA and the fact that people go there and pay that is insane to me. I can make an IIPA that's just as good, and cheaper, and drink it fresher too!

I remember drinking several Rogue beers just to get the Pac-Man east from the bottom. I thought the beers were decent, but not worth the money. I ended up using the Pac-Man yeast as my house used and was not happy with the results

Magic Hat. Not because of how it tastes but because they harassed a new local brewery because they said their label was too similar (which it wasn't even close). Apparently it wasn't their first time doing this sort of this either. Haven't had as much as a sip of Magic Hat since.

One that I can't quite stomach, although I don't know how widely it's distributed, is Mac & Jack's African Amber. It tastes like a diacetyl bomb to me.
Not really. Its already turning into our bi-weekly "dont like IPA" thread where we also have to mention people that "only drink IPA"
I agree, it gets old. If someone only drinks Bud, only drinks IPA, only drinks sours - it's on them, no skin off my nose. My brother-in-law hates beer with too much of ANY flavor (but loves the aforementioned M&J's) My uncle will only drink Tecate. A friend who believes she is "into" craft beer because she drinks IPAs. A buddy who brews 50 gallons of the same beer, over and over and over. Who am I to judge - it makes them happy and doesn't harm me.
Any mass produced beer that calls itself craft.

Not sure what the number should be, but in my eyes, once they've passed a certain number of barrels it becomes an industrial beer.
While I'm not militant, I do like to steer clear of beers from publically traded companies. I like to fantasize that my money is going to the people who make and distrubite the beer, and not to shareholders. As AB-InBev gobbles up more craft breweries, even though those beers may not have changed, the business has. I shop local too, except when I can't, or it is too crazy expensive to. Like I said, I'm not militant, and like someone said in another recent thread, free beer always tastes good, no matter who made it.

Wow. Thanks for being the Debbie downer on this thread.

So do you have a category for where you fit in?

Anyway, I agree with Samuel smith Organic Choc Stout. It's got this weird after taste...but I get any 'derrière' notes?!

Ps does that put me in Catagory 2b territory? :rolleyes:
I'm in catagory 138: Angry and Jaded

The crazy thing is some of us love beers from certain breweries and some of us then do not like the same breweries.

I hardly ever buy craft beer more than once. I hardly ever brew a recipe twice.

In defense of ABInbev, they do employ a lot of people who rely on that job for income.

While I'm not militant, I do like to steer clear of beers from publically traded companies. I like to fantasize that my money is going to the people who make and distrubite the beer, and not to shareholders. As AB-InBev gobbles up more craft breweries, even though those beers may not have changed, the business has. I shop local too, except when I can't, or it is too crazy expensive to. Like I said, I'm not militant, and like someone said in another recent thread, free beer always tastes good, no matter who made it.

I try to purchase local Saranac, Lake Placid, southern tier, brooklyn and even Genny Cream ale!
I would rather buy the local stuff before going to anything in VT, MA or PA.
And I would rather stay local than every buy from a big corporate company.
Sam adams is as corporate as I will buy (with exception of my wife's corona, which we top off with citrus run, but only by the pool).

I used to like Schmaltz brewing company, until they got bought by Boston Brewing company.
I also used to like Magic Hat, but something changed in the flavor.

Alternative thread names:
Opportunities to bash what other people like.
I hate IPA v.11896174-B
I hate sours v.9274723-Zz
Beers I hate because I can't get them.
Beers I hate because everyone else seems to like them.
Haters unite! What do YOU hate?
Happy Haterdays!
I've never had Pliny so therefore I hate it.
It took so long for me to get Enjoy By I was convinced it was life changing and it wasn't. Hated it!
tumblr_m6ewrjJLqs1ro8ysbo1_500.jpg

it's not a secret, but I dont know how anyone can like Founders All Day IPA! I think they made it as a joke to torture craft beer enthusiast posers!

okay, that was cruel, but I dont like All Day IPA (but I love teh DFA 60, 90, 120!)

5NeX1Gv.jpg

It took so long for me to get Enjoy By I was convinced it was life changing and it wasn't. Hated it!

This was me with New Glarus Spotted Cow. Heard a lot of talk about how great it was, so I had my sister pick some up when she was out in Wisconsin. It was a perfectly fine beer, but wasn't the otherworldly experience I thought it was going to be. Therefore, it is the worst beer ever.

Two Women and Staghorn were quite good.

Magic Hat. Not because of how it tastes but because they harassed a new local brewery because they said their label was too similar (which it wasn't even close). Apparently it wasn't their first time doing this sort of this either. Haven't had as much as a sip of Magic Hat since.

I hear more about their trademark battles than their brews.

I am 4 bottles into my 6pack of Founders Breakfast Stout. It's not good. Maybe the other 2 will be better?

Anything labeled 'Cascadian dark ale'... what a joke.

+1,000

not to mention the first real record of a black IPA being commercially brewed was in Vermont by Greg Noonan...such an obnoxiously pretentious name

PS

I guess there's no accounting for taste but IMHO there are some seriously misguided peeps up in this thread.

No secret... any sour or gose.

A sour is a ruined beer, a gose is whale semen.

+1

I had Anderson Valley Holy Gose ale for the first time after a hike expecting a refreshing beverage - it tasted like vomit...waaay too acidic.

:D
I dont know how anyone can like Founders All Day IPA

Love that stuff! They make a session IPA here in GA that I also like - Terrapin Recreation Ale

But in reality I'm a hata just like everybody else ;)

Bought a Stone mixed 12 pack. Stone IPA, Ruination IPA, Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA and Arrogant Bastard Ale.

I was totally unimpressed with all of them and the black IPA was close to undrinkable, though I did drink them.

In defense of ABInbev, they do employ a lot of people who rely on that job for income.

They don't really need defending. And I'm not anti publically owned, either. My reasons have to do with the practices that they have used to attempt to gain and maintain an unfair advantage in the marketplace. Again, not militant about it, just mindful, and don't expect anyone else to see our my way. I do the same with Walmart. My wife shops there, I won't.

You guys are all too picky. Aside from MillerCoors/inBev crap, I've never had a Craft Beer that I absolutely despised with the exception of a single Gose I had on tap once that tasted like Bile. I don't recall who made the Gose, but I now know this particular one was brewed incorrectly as that is considered an off-flavour coming from improper souring techniques. I've since had several Gose's that are quite good.

The only other beers I didn't like or couldn't finish were either examples that were spoiled or skunked, which is just improper storage in most cases. Obviously some beers are certainly better than others and everyone has their right to their favorites, but I'm not a fan of grilling a single beer as being undrinkable or terrible for such reasons, and I've drank a lot of beer over the years, dozens of examples of every style at this point (Part-Time Alcoholic In-Progress).

So I went to untappd ...

Here's a third vote for Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout as my least favorite craft beer.

There's a bunch of others.
One themes is adding or mixing something that doesn't seem to work for me, most often when some of my favorite beers are similar. I love coffee stouts when the coffee compliments the stout. I hate coffee stouts when the coffee and the stout are going different directions. It's like the brewer didn't taste it before selling it.

Another theme is, take a good beer and add alcohol, or add a trendy wood a have the achohol or wood conflict.
Hmm, Allagash Odyssey may be my favorite beer. But there are so many misses out there.

A third theme is mixing styles.
Terrapin (Left Hand) Reunion '10 was a great Scottish ale with Belgian yeast. I've had a couple of very bad Scottish ales with bad yeast.

So the rest of my two star untappd, some of these may just be a badly stored bottle or a skunked line:

Gulpener Bierbrouwerij Ur-Pilsner
Lazy Magnolia Jefferson Stout
Chimay Blanche (Cinq Cents)
Baird Jubilation Ale
Clown Shoes Clementine 1.5 (OTOH, I rather like regular Clementine)
Anchor BigLeaf Maple Autumn Red
Meantime Coffee Porter
McChouffe
Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Style Weisse
Brouwerij Verhaeghe Duchesse de Bourgogne [probably the best rated by others]
Terrapin Double Feature
The Lost Abbey Agave Maria
French Broad Wee-Heavy-Er Scotch Ale
Evil Twin Justin Blåbær

I only drink Ecto-coolers that my mom packs in my lunch for me and sometimes if I'm good, I get warm milk with Ovaltine for dinner.

I still dont get why the ecto coolers were discontinued. I lived off of those things.

Throw one in the freezer, cut the top off and scrape it with a spoon for an awesome frozen juice pack.

I only drink Ecto-coolers that my mom packs in my lunch for me and sometimes if I'm good, I get warm milk with Ovaltine for dinner.

Ecto-coolers. Man, I do miss those.

I hate some craft beers but it is mostly because I don't love pilsners and lagers.

Jumping in on the hater bandwagon here. There are quite a few DFH beers that I just don't like. To name a few, I've been particularly turned off by Black and Blue, Midas Touch, and Rhizing Bines (a collab with SN). With that said, I really appreciate their experimental spirit, and I must say that some of their beers (Bitches Brew, Burton Baton, and Indian Brown Ale come to mind) rank among my favorites ever.

I`m not sure sam adams is considered a craft brew anymore but their Octoberfest is horrible IMO and that's all you find on tap besides yellow beer around here..Also had their winter crap at a party last weekend was not impressed with any. I came home and filled a growler of my IPA to drink at the party

The phony craft beers that are made by mega breweries are what I despise. I still like to drink Bud and Coors as Session beers or thirst quenching but Blue Moon and Shock Top do nothing for me.

I would like to know if their products are all American grown..I also love to support local mom and pop places and favor American made or union product.years ago my dad quit drinking bud and went to mgd just because the CAN(lol) said "union made"

My favorite bar is actually called "mom and pops" LOL believe it or not..Not applebees or chilis ect

I don't like arrogant bastard - ordered one on tap once, drank a bit of it, left the rest and ordered something else. I really have not cared much for any Lagunitas beers I have had. (I have gotten them on tap, at places that generally do a good job of serving fresh beer, that has been well-handled, so I don't think it was that.) Not a big fan of Surly Furious - although, I do like Abrasive.

There are other beers that are certainly over rated, but I would not say I "despise" them. But, I would order a budweiser before I would order an arrogant bastard again.

Back