What craft beer do you secretly despise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
In response to the success of the "what crap beer do you secretly enjoy" thread, I thought I would start one about "what craft beer do you secretly despise or think is overrated."

For me, I think IPA's are overrated. I enjoy some of them but many are so 1 dimensional that it is hard to appreciate them.

Although they're from my favorite brewery, Sierra Nevada's Porter and Stout baffle me - they've been staples of the SN lineup since before I was born - but I just don't like them at all.

Pliny the Elder, its still a good beer but just overrated. I live fairly close to Russian River so I have had it alot, but there are just better IPA's now.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Everything I've ever tried from Green Flash. It's all harsh bitterness with no flavor to be found. I've specifically sought out fresh bottles, too.

+1

I dont hate it, its just not that great. I would go as far to say it wouldnt be nearly as popular had it not been branded so well. I think a lot of people order it simply because it sounds cool, and buy it because it has an a demon on the front.

The post above was referring to Stone Arrogant Bastard. Made me chuckle because I really enjoy this beer, but I am not fond of the name/branding. I use the bottles for home brew, but first I soak them in star san and scrub off the label.

I tried to clone it a few times, but wasn't happy with them. They were okay, but not as good.

Strauss Red Trolley

Is this a craft beer? I think it once was, anyway. It got a gold medal for something, somewhere, once. Awful, vile, crap beer. I hardly ever meet a beer I don't like on some level, but I can't drink this one. I've been giving them away, pouring people a glass for a "taste test," or any other way I can think of to dispose of them in an ethical manner. (Never waste beer.)

Any of the top 50 beers that I can't get. Simply because I can't get them to see if I like them or not.

But seriously I can't see the attraction to sours. I've tried several of DeGarde's and though I like stopping at the tasting room all their beers taste like vinegar. Sorry

Although they're from my favorite brewery, Sierra Nevada's Porter and Stout baffle me - they've been staples of the SN lineup since before I was born - but I just don't like them at all.

their porter has a very bittersweet taste, that even after going through a 6 pack, I'm still not very fond of

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout.

Tastes like pure unadulterated unwashed booty hole.

geez, I'll make sure my grandma showers tonight.

my gripe isn't with the craft beer, but certain craft beer drinkers.

1) The Expert (a&b) a: They've had 2-3 examples of a popular style (Oktoberfest, IPA, Milk Stout) and try school everyone around them. b: The home brewer version that has brewed any certain style 2-3 times and acts like they have it nailed because "so-and-so likes" 1 out of the 3 versions brewed.

2) The Taster (a&b) a: They can pick out any flavor in any beer at any time. But these are also fun since they are easily swayed with the power of suggestion. b: The home brewer version that can and will taste any and all flaws in everything. Then proceed to tell you in great detail what you did wrong in an arrogant tone. These are not easily swayed by power of suggestion.

3) The Anti-Conformist: They "never did like" whatever style is popular and/or gaining popularity. Closet Hipsters in training.

4) Captain Tastes Like (a&b) a: They prefer all their beers "classic style" because they like their "beer to taste like beer" and will be vocal about it in the liquor store if you're picking up anything with chocolate, spiced, or fruit. b: The home brewer version. The same as "a", but replace liquor store with HBS or home brewing forum and picking up with brewing.

personal taste is one thing, but to be arrogant about yours is what makes you an a-hole. don't be an a-hole with personal taste. this has been a PSA from your local Klubb.

1) The Expert (a&b) a: They've had 2-3 examples of a popular style (Oktoberfest, IPA, Milk Stout) and try school everyone around them. b: The home brewer version that has brewed any certain style 2-3 times and acts like they have it nailed because "so-and-so likes" 1 out of the 3 versions brewed.

2) The Taster (a&b) a: They can pick out any flavor in any beer at any time. But these are also fun since they are easily swayed with the power of suggestion. b: The home brewer version that can and will taste any and all flaws in everything. Then proceed to tell you in great detail what you did wrong in an arrogant tone. These are not easily swayed by power of suggestion.

3) The Anti-Conformist: They "never did like" whatever style is popular and/or gaining popularity. Closet Hipsters in training.

4) Captain Tastes Like (a&b) a: They prefer all their beers "classic style" because they like their "beer to taste like beer" and will be vocal about it in the liquor store if you're picking up anything with chocolate, spiced, or fruit. b: The home brewer version. The same as "a", but replace liquor store with HBS or home brewing forum and picking up with brewing.

personal taste is one thing, but to be arrogant about yours is what makes you an a-hole. don't be an a-hole with personal taste. this has been a PSA from your local Klubb.

Wow. Thanks for being the Debbie downer on this thread.

So do you have a category for where you fit in?

Anyway, I agree with Samuel smith Organic Choc Stout. It's got this weird after taste...but I get any 'derrière' notes?!

Ps does that put me in Catagory 2b territory? :rolleyes:

Black wych breweries hobbgoblin was my favourite for years. Their raspberry fruit beer thing is completely nasty beyond words.

I like you, your silly.

Personally I love chocolate stouts. There is just something horribly wrong with that one. But thats just me. I know people who love it and cant stand my favorite(not made by me) one.

I know that my personal style/taste isn't for everyone and frankly I prefer it that way. But I do agree with you that some people do take their personal preference's as "gospel truth". And sometimes(ok more often than not) it is a buzz kill.

Apparently dopeybrew knows what unwashed butthole tastes like -- and Billy knows who markets it. Go figure.

I've only tried a few Abita beers but did not like either. The IPA that I had was especially nasty in my opinion.

I was wondering how someone knew what booty hole tasted like. Sounds like a totally new thread. Beers that taste like unwashed booty hole.

Dopey has some great points. Many of my friends who used to be BMC are now IPA only. When I started brewing they would not touch a pale ale that was delicious. Now they won't because it is not an IPA

It's a great thread. We all have our opinions. Some of us were turned into brewing from many of the classic styles. Others through American craft brews

Not really. Its already turning into our bi-weekly "dont like IPA" thread where we also have to mention people that "only drink IPA"

Any of the Dogfish Head IPA's (pick a minute, any of 'em) Just nasty and so one dimensional. It is ironic considering that I live fairly close to the brewery.

Any mass produced beer that calls itself craft.

Not sure what the number should be, but in my eyes, once they've passed a certain number of barrels it becomes an industrial beer.

edit to say:
Even though I dispise this practice, a good beer is still a good beer
. . . . and I have no problem drinking it!

Ok, so maybe not a specific beer, but there's something about brew dog that rubs me the wrong way. The beer they produce is ok, I don't mind drinking it, it just seems to me they'll do anything for a headline. That's just marketing I guess, but I really don't like it.
Plus they have the 'F U we do what we want' attitude, which would be fine if what they did truly was 'punk', but all I see is just marketing campaigns in poor disguise...

Back