What craft beer do you secretly despise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't secretely dispise anything; I do it openly.

Overhyped and overpriced things get onto the top of my sh:it:t:list really quickly.

Pliny The Elder, for example.

Overhyped and overpriced things get onto the top of my sh:it:t:list really quickly.

I'll take "Beers I hate because I can't get" for $500.

Pliny is cheap. Russian River has no marketing department. The hype comes from beer drinkers, not the brewer.

First, I AM an IPA guy. Sweetwater IPA is my favorite daily drinker.

Now, I know this could border on blasphemy... but I don't like Sculpin IPA. Maybe the absolutely ridiculous price they charge for it might have something do with it as well.

Alternative thread names:
Opportunities to bash what other people like.
I hate IPA v.11896174-B
I hate sours v.9274723-Zz
Beers I hate because I can't get them.
Beers I hate because everyone else seems to like them.
Haters unite! What do YOU hate?
Happy Haterdays!
I've never had Pliny so therefore I hate it.
It took so long for me to get Enjoy By I was convinced it was life changing and it wasn't. Hated it!
tumblr_m6ewrjJLqs1ro8ysbo1_500.jpg

I love it. I had no clue it would generate this much discussion. We should create 2 home brewer groups. Those that brew everything and those that brew IPA's. Lol.

Seriously great response

You guys know that the price you're paying for CA beers in other parts of the country/world is set by the distributors and retailers serving your local markets...right?

Edit: I guess the reason you hate it isn't all that relevant in the vein of the thread. My bad...carry on.

In response to if AB grows in US.

They grow a lot of barley where I grew up in Montana. They have facilities out there for the grain

This. But, to be clear, I don't despise Pliny. I despise the hype that culminates around a limited supply product. The beer itself is respectable enough, just not enough to justify the craze.

Despise is a tough word. How can you despise a beer?

I've had beers I tried & won't buy again. Most recently: Allagash White. Apparently somewhat popular, has won some awards. My SWMBO & her friend are fans and wanted me to brew a clone. I found the flavor profile confusing and unpleasant - just not my thing. I drank the whole 4-pack though.

I can only think of two craft beers that I hated enough to not finish. One was Bell's Porter, which I likened to putting a burnt match in my mouth - I took two sips and gave the rest to my wife (who liked it just fine). The second was a pumpkin porter I sampled at a local beer fest, which I took care to pour out on a dirty patch of soil so as to not subject any innocent blades of grass to drinking it too. I guess this all sounds like I don't like porter...but I do. :)

Pumking. I wanted to like it....

I think most pumpkin ales are hit and miss.

Not sure if Red hook is considered "Craft Beer" any longer... I dont like Long Hammer IPA, for some reason it I get acid indigestion from it. Same with ESB. I think it's their yeast, but I'm not sure.

Anything from Weyerbacher - All of their beers taste like someone added a ton of vodka to the finished product. Too much alcohol and alcohol taste.

NOPE! -- EXCEPT for their Double Simcoe, that one is no longer great.

EDIT - Just had Double Simcoe again Friday night and has that same taste that the rest of their brews do, alcoholic taste. YUCK! So that is now crap also.

DFH Ta Henket
So bad, could not finish the bottle. SWMBO says "I'll cook with it!". Made a batch of pulled pork inedible. Pulled Pork for cryin' out loud!

- Green Flash West Coast IPA. I get a lot of harsh bitterness and not much else.

- Most beers with fruit added. It seems paradoxical that you can take a beer with lots of fruity esters or hop flavors and I'll generally love it, yet most beers that claim to have fruit added taste horribly artificial to me.

I can't stand a lot of the Experimental or Season beers from Stone. It seems like nothing they are making anymore is under 8.5% alc and it really tastes like it too. Or they go and make a Saison the Stone way and it is too bitter. Their Go-To-IPA in one sip tastes like fresh hops nad the next sip tastes one dimensional and thin. Maybe I've gotten spoiled living near one of their tasting rooms and trying a lot of their new, small batch stuff. I despise their Enjoy By and the Woot Stout with a passion.

I don't care for Fat Tire or Widmer Hef in a bottle. Once you have it on tap, the bottle just does not do it justice, but it might also help I live were it is brewed and the kegs would be fresher.

For "overrated", this list goes on and one. Pliny is great but definitely overrated. Everything New Belgium brews is overrated (some better than others). Same goes for DFH.

As far as genuinely "despise", I'd give the cake to Victory's Golden Monkey. Tastes like it was fermented at 120 degrees. Very alcoholic. Barely drinkable when ice cold. Undrinkable even at cellar temp as it starts to warm. And thats both between bottle and draft over multiple times, so I doubt it's a "bad batch" issue. It's a shame, because I've loved every other Victory beer I've had.

Oh shiz... forgot about Wasatch's Black O Lantern. God awful.

Was like drinking a holiday themed scented candle. Was the only beer out of 60+ that I tried at the craft festival that I actually had to dump.

Up here in Canada eh. I have been disappointed by almost every Pumpkin Ale I've ever tried. I just find them almost universally bland. Pumpkin itself is such a boring, bland flavor - even pumpkin pie is pretty meh if you don't add tons of spices, sugar, and whipped cream to it.

//had a pumpkin ale from a bar once, it was wonderful. Probably related to the rim of pumpkin spice and sugar the bartender put on the glass.
//I'm hopeful about pumpkin pie porter. I could see a heavy, sweet porter with pumpkin pie flavor added working well.

so I find it funny that someone mentions that they don't like BMC's & their Light versions and half a dozen people jump up in arms defending them with everything they have. people go on about breweries that helped shape the craft scene here and not many people have a problem with that. it was just a humorous observation.

To most this will mean nothing... to those of you near VA it will either piss you off or you'll agree 100%

Hardywood Gingerbread FREAKING Stout.

I wish the stuff would just die a horrible painful over hyped death never to be heard of or from again.

EDIT: That's actualyl no secret, I broadcast it pretty loudly so... guess I'll go with Sixpoint Diesel. That stuff is just bad (IMO).

To most this will mean nothing... to those of you near VA it will either piss you off or you'll agree 100%

Hardywood Gingerbread FREAKING Stout.

I wish the stuff would just die a horrible painful over hyped death never to be heard of or from again.

I actually haven't tried it. But it's certainly quite hyped.

I actually haven't tried it. But it's certainly quite hyped.

Its "meeh" at best. Seriously inconsistant, especially from year to year, but even from bottle to bottle from the same batch, one of my biggest pet peeves with commerical beer. The fanboys are quick to tell you that youjust have to suffer through the bad bottles to get the goo dones though! :confused:

Victory Prima Pils.

It's an extremely well-made beer that is unfortunately hop-forward in a trendy way due (I think) to the American penchant for hoppy IPA's.

I tried DuClaw Little Dirty Freak an hour ago. I can't get the taste of suntan lotion out of my mouth. SWMBO says that bourbon will fix it. I like the way she thinks.

Pretty sure that one's so vehemently hated it'll find a better fit on the "which crap beer do you secretly enjoy" thread.

No, I think that one's pretty openly despised.

I think you guys are onto something. maybe on something is more like it. those swilderness Girls Cookies were laced with cocaine. Don't be so fast to thank me on this, Qhrumphfbamage, because you're going to be naked on this one. It's on the line for you. People are going to be watching. Now you blow it, you're going down. You screw up, you're going to be hung out to dry. You drop the ball, you're going to be left twisting in the wind. If you embarrass this department, your pants will be dancing with figs. Is that clear?

I think you guys are onto something. maybe on something is more like it. those swilderness Girls Cookies were laced with cocaine. Don't be so fast to thank me on this, Qhrumphfbamage, because you're going to be naked on this one. It's on the line for you. People are going to be watching. Now you blow it, you're going down. You screw up, you're going to be hung out to dry. You drop the ball, you're going to be left twisting in the wind. If you embarrass this department, your pants will be dancing with figs. Is that clear?

Sir no sir.

Back